Looking for a diet that is low carb/healthy carb AND low fat

Options
Hi there!

So I have lost about 25 lbs and want to continue losing. I have had success in the past with a low carb / atkins /keto type of diet. But it wasn't sustainable for me long term because I was truly missing some things like fruits.

Now after yo yo dieting for years and then stopping for the last 2 years. I really have reached a point where I know, to be successful, I am going to have to change the way I eat.

I followed (with a Doctor's approval) a VLCD for 35 days. It was around 500-800 calories and the emphasis was on vegetables, lean meats and small bits of some fruits.

I honestly can say I have never felt better.

I am going to be transitioning (very slowly) off this diet in about 10 days. The doctor only wanted me to do it for 45 days. However am feeling lost as I transition in finding guidance.

So is there a diet/lifestyle/method out there that emphasizes both the low carb/healthy carb AND low fat. I know it is hard because any premade "low fat" type things out there tend to be loaded with sugars to offset the lack of fat and so traditional low fat substitutes are not going to work for me. But when I look up low carb books or recipes they tend to be loaded with fat (yes, healthy fats usually but way more fat than I want to be eating).

So is there anything out there that covers both? I would love to be able to read recipe books for ideas and scour the internet for meal plans without having to create everything myself.

Replies

• loe_loe23
    loe_loe23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt is my go-to. It's got zero fat, very low sugar, high protein and lower carb. To sweeten it, I put a little bit of flaxseed-granola mix and a drizzle of organic honey. It's my favorite! A good bread source is finding a Multi-Grain bread that's packed with fiber. It's not going to be 'low carb' per say but it's the good complex carbs that your body needs. Pair that with some turkey slices and a little bit of avocado and you've got healthy fats and with protein. For a dinner option, find Tilapia or Salmon or Chicken breasts and pair that with a side of veggies like brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc. You could also add 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup of organic quinoa- another complex healthy carb. This is my usual 'what I eat in a day' plus I eat eggs for breakfast and the yogurt is my morning snack. I also have an afternoon snack of a protein shake. Hope this gives you some ideas. This necessarily won't work for everyone, but it's what works for me!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It was around 500-800 calories and the emphasis was on vegetables, lean meats and small bits of some fruits.

If you feel great doing this, just keep the same kinds of foods, but scale the portions up to a more sustainable calorie goal.

The diet she was on was intended as a very short term measure. Unless you have some kind of credentials, this advice isn't necessarily wise, thus the previous advice to consult a dietitian.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think if you focus on whole foods (and avoid processed foods), you will find success in what you're trying to do. That said, I agree with getting the advice of a dietitian, and trying to figure out what exactly is contributing to the yoyo/weight loss and gain cycle from a mental perspective. Just to make sure that there isn't something going on that you can work on to make it easier for you to maintain a healthy weight.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    It was around 500-800 calories and the emphasis was on vegetables, lean meats and small bits of some fruits.

If you feel great doing this, just keep the same kinds of foods, but scale the portions up to a more sustainable calorie goal.

The diet she was on was intended as a very short term measure. Unless you have some kind of credentials, this advice isn't necessarily wise.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, though. Most (none?) of us have credentials, but we're all here giving advice anyways.

Appropriate quantities of lean meats, vegetables and fruits is probably better advice than 75% of what's on MFP.

I said it wasn't "necessarily wise" and I did edit to add what previous posters have said about it being a good idea to consult a dietitian. I am still interested in her answer to your previous post about how low she thinks her carbs & fat should be. It sounds like fat has been almost non-existent in her VLCD.