Options
    [youtube/] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJIFe-UkZ4 [ youtube]
    I think this thread could use some humor

And bacon grease coffee! Cheers
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't quite do a keto diet, but low carb. After doing a hair analysis (very enlightening-you should do one) and learning I'm a type one slow metabolizer, the dietary recommendations from the lab were to have no more than 20% carbs. I adjusted MFP goals to be 15% carbs. I also had to add in a couple of different supplements for estrogen metabolism (that's another story). In all I noticed a change in my sleep immediately, and feeling satisfied for longer. I try to get a good mix of proteins and fats, add in all my foods, and pay attention to my net carbs. It's been an interesting road thus far in life, so I think I'll take the functional nutritionists advice and try this for a while. This is not to say I don't crave certain things....and I am Far from perfect, but for me as long as I'm trending a certain way, that is good enough. It's also been interesting because during college track I got used to carbo loading....and I Love carbs...but I started noticing that I would bloat after eating that way and I started getting joint and muscle aches. So, low carb it is!

a hair analysis for what exactly?

And did the same lab offer to sell you supplements?

Just did a quick google of hair analysis and yep-you pretty much nailed it.

eta: it gets even better when you look up what a 'functional nutritionist' is :p
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    sounds like an acquaintance of mine. I hadn't seen her in years, but she stopped by to visit my mother while I was there a few weeks back and she of course noticed I had lost weight, which led to that conversation on how I did it. She was spouting all the classic woo I've seen addressed here, and certainly didn't like it when I promptly used what I had learned in these threads to counter her. She buys into leaky gut, sugar is evil, low carb is the best way of life for everyone, gluten is evil - the whole 9 yards. It was rather amusing, actually
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    yes, easy to stick to once you start! Love how I feel and don't ever wanna go back.