Family & Friends Opinions on How You Look

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My mom made comments when I was bigger, and then my wife started...but that was because they were worried about my health and going down the same path as my dad.

I don't get comments now, but I'm also in no danger of being "skinny", nor am I fat.

The only thing my wife has ever said jokingly was that if I ever fit into my military uniform again, she might have to divorce me...'cuz, yeah...I was rail thin and about 140 Lbs soaking wet and looked like a string bean with no muscle or fat to speak of.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i surround myself only with people who love and support me.

If any negative comments have been said, it certainly wasn't around me, as I would tell them exactly where to PUT their comments and opinions.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    People have been supportive and complimentary. But when I say that I want to lose 30 more pounds they say I’m crazy. Have you *kitten* seen me naked? I didn’t think so. So now I don’t voluntarily say the desire to lose more weight out loud.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just got my first “you don’t need to lose more” comment from someone trying to be complimentary. I said “I’ll go by what the dr. says next time” and moved on. It’s not up for discussion. -152 with 23 to go and see how things look. Oh the bingo wings though!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I wish my wife were meaner sometimes. I don't put much stock in most people's opinions including my family but for her I would do anything.
  • abel12mfp
    abel12mfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have also received the "you look so gaunt" or "please don't lose anymore weight" comments from loved ones. Always surprised me, as I was at the very top end of a healthy BMI at the time. Sometimes it takes our friends, family or co-workers a while to adjust to seeing the changes in our bodies and new thinner versions of ourselves.
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’m currently on 1200 calorie diet to lose 10-20lbs. My mom is not opposed of me trying to lose weight, she is only concern if I’m losing it in an unhealthy way since I have history of chronic gastritis. She thinks I look great and shouldn’t be worried about weight loss but focus on being healthy instead (which I agree 100%)

My friends think I look fine and roll their eyes when I said I’m trying to lose weight. Weight loss & diet are rarely discussed between us.

My dad sometimes make fun of what I eat though, and often told me “how could you lose weight if you keep eating that?”. He also told me diet is useless without exercise.

But nobody ever make a negative comment about my body (except my ex).
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I wish my wife were meaner sometimes. I don't put much stock in most people's opinions including my family but for her I would do anything.

I love this.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My friend told me to stop doing leg workouts because my quads are getting too big. Um no they look amazing. I'm not stopping.
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My husband is really supportive although he doesn’t really like very skinny women so as long as I don’t get smaller than a uk10 he’ll be happy. He’s always complimented me even when I have felt fat and ugly he just says he wants me to be happy but loves me no matter what size I am. My sister in law though she is constantly trying to add me to diet groups even though she’s much bigger than I am, so I haven’t told her I’m trying to lose weight. I think you have to be happy in your own skin and although I listen to my husbands opinion if I really wanted to get super skinny and felt that’s where I needed to be I’m pretty sure I would do it. At the end of the day I’m losing weight for me and I’ll stop when I’m happy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kelMee2 wrote: »
    My husband is really supportive although he doesn’t really like very skinny women so as long as I don’t get smaller than a uk10 he’ll be happy. He’s always complimented me even when I have felt fat and ugly he just says he wants me to be happy but loves me no matter what size I am. My sister in law though she is constantly trying to add me to diet groups even though she’s much bigger than I am, so I haven’t told her I’m trying to lose weight. I think you have to be happy in your own skin and although I listen to my husbands opinion if I really wanted to get super skinny and felt that’s where I needed to be I’m pretty sure I would do it. At the end of the day I’m losing weight for me and I’ll stop when I’m happy.

I like seeing how not alone I am by other men who also do not care for skinny.
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've lost nearly 40 pounds over the past year (20 in the last 4 months) and haven't heard so much as a peep from anyone in my family outside of my wife who's more impressed with my dedication to getting up before dawn and hitting the gym than my weight loss.

Mind you, this may be because I lost 130 pounds four years ago and slowly gained 70 of it back before starting over again. My family may simply be wary of praising me too quickly in the event I gain some of it back again. That being said, I'd like to hear someone acknowledge it at some point.
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 40 pounds over the past year (20 in the last 4 months) and haven't heard so much as a peep from anyone in my family outside of my wife who's more impressed with my dedication to getting up before dawn and hitting the gym than my weight loss.

Mind you, this may be because I lost 130 pounds four years ago and slowly gained 70 of it back before starting over again. My family may simply be wary of praising me too quickly in the event I gain some of it back again. That being said, I'd like to hear someone acknowledge it at some point.

Going on 50 pounds and nary a word from anyone close to me. I've had a couple of people at the gym comment, but outside of my wife, none of my family or friends has said anything. While it bothers me a little no one has said anything, I know that I am definitely making progress.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    My wife thought I was too fat and snored too much at the top of my bulk and thought I had too many veins and was too grumpy at the end of my cut. She's happy when I'm somewhere in the middle ... lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    My wife thought I was too fat and snored too much at the top of my bulk and thought I had too many veins and was too grumpy at the end of my cut. She's happy when I'm somewhere in the middle ... lol

My husband prefers me heavier than I do, cos boobies!