Your favorite bogus nutrition/health "advice"

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited April 2018
    Simply the phrase "leaky gut syndrome". And the everything about the GAPS diet to cure it.

Also, walking on my grass 40 minutes a day sounds like a good way to get frost bite one half of the year, and ring worm the other half of the year.
  • jgzunich09
    jgzunich09 Posts: 32 Member
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should b your biggest meal as long as you eat it the right way.....(reason it’s called break.......fast.......
  • jgzunich09
    If you skip meals your metabolism is going to slow down it’s what your telling your body it adapts, unless your one of those people that is donig that snake diet ketosis thing........
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    My coworker, who I have watched eat larger portions than she is logging, eat out and not log, throw a whole week away over one bad day etc etc, has been maintaining the same weight for about 5 months. Today she has a free consultation here: https://spokaneweightloss.info/ and I am SO EXCITED to hear what crap they feed her.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    jgzunich09 wrote: »
    If you skip meals your metabolism is going to slow down it’s what your telling your body it adapts, unless your one of those people that is donig that snake diet ketosis thing........

Skipping meals is also the leading cause of starvation mode. If you go into starvation mode, you'll just gain more wieght.
  • jgzunich09
    Exactly!!! My point
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    It’s amazing how gullible people are when it comes to weight loss! Everyone is hoping for a easy magic cure that they will believe anything. Facebook is the worst. I see ads for things like one of those stomach wrap things and I go look thru the comments and it’s full of people who are genuinely Interested! Ugh.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I hate HATE when people say...,
    "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store...stay out of the center aisles".

A. Different grocery stores have different layouts...in mine the ice cream and doughnuts are on the perimeter.

B. Usually staples like beans and rice are in the center aisles. These are bad?

C. We are not children that need over-simplified rules. Why not just advise people to focus on more fresh produce and lean proteins at the store? I'm sure we can all figure out where to find it.

Yes!! This advice drives me nuts. Sure, I buy plenty of fruits and veggies but I also buy my staples and ****gasp*** cookies in the center! Losing weight just fine over here, while happily walking through the dreaded middle of the grocery store. And our stores usually have lots of junk on the end caps, so I am not sure where this nonsense began!?
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Someone told me that I should never lift weights, it will turn a woman instantly bulky!
    I should try the grazing all day instead of weighing down my body with meals.
    ACV, flax and chia seeds....
    Wraps, pills and every other home based mlm program out there....I have yet to see a single person succeed using any of that junk. And I run in a deep circle of stay at home moms that love to start their own sales business haha.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    ''There is no point counting calories because companies are allowed to be 20% out when putting numbers on their foods''

I mean, okaaaayyy, may be true, probably is, but surely logging and tracking calories along with any weight loss or gain will give you a better plan to work with. If you gain when 'in a deficit' then eat less and take into account the possible 20% discrepancy.

Every time this guy starts with the 20% argument I nearly lose my eyes from rolling them so hard. I have lost around 50lbs and have not struggled against the lying companies lying about calorie numbers!

This is why a food scale is so handy. The packaging may say one cookie is 100 calories, but it will also say one cookie is 50 grams. Weigh the cookie. If it's really 75 grams, then you know it's 150 calories. Negates the 20% argument.

Got to agree that some plan is way better than no plan, and weighing is very helpful - but what does weighing have to do with the 20% discrepancy arguments? As I understand it, if my frozen lasagne is listed as 350 calories for a 300 gram serving that means the actual calories could be up to 20% lower (280) or higher (420) and that label is still ‘correct’. Weighing doesn’t change that.

There actually are a whole lot of calories in play with the 20% wiggle room. I would have been concerned with that when I was losing if I ate a lot of pre-packaged foods with high calories per serving. Can’t say that makes a convincing case not to weigh or count calories tho! Just might make things hard for some people.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    ''There is no point counting calories because companies are allowed to be 20% out when putting numbers on their foods''

I mean, okaaaayyy, may be true, probably is, but surely logging and tracking calories along with any weight loss or gain will give you a better plan to work with. If you gain when 'in a deficit' then eat less and take into account the possible 20% discrepancy.

Every time this guy starts with the 20% argument I nearly lose my eyes from rolling them so hard. I have lost around 50lbs and have not struggled against the lying companies lying about calorie numbers!

This is why a food scale is so handy. The packaging may say one cookie is 100 calories, but it will also say one cookie is 50 grams. Weigh the cookie. If it's really 75 grams, then you know it's 150 calories. Negates the 20% argument.

Got to agree that some plan is way better than no plan, and weighing is very helpful - but what does weighing have to do with the 20% discrepancy arguments? As I understand it, if my frozen lasagne is listed as 350 calories for a 300 gram serving that means the actual calories could be up to 20% lower (280) or higher (420) and that label is still ‘correct’. Weighing doesn’t change that.

There actually are a whole lot of calories in play with the 20% wiggle room. I would have been concerned with that when I was losing if I ate a lot of pre-packaged foods with high calories per serving. Can’t say that makes a convincing case not to weigh or count calories tho! Just might make things hard for some people.

Weighing changes the fact that it isn't 300 grams. That's what they're talking about when they say the packaging can be off by up to 20%. That is due to weight discrepancies.

• NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Cardio kills gains. I can’t stand that one
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    susanmc31 wrote: »
    My favourite was that essential oils can cure my anxiety. Nope it won't, but talking to a psychologist helps :smile:

Also, those who act like their way of eating is the only way to lose weight and that it's not CICO. Yes, it is always CICO.

Ugh, so sick of essential oils. I use them in my difusser because they smell nice but omg no they do not help with anything.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Simply the phrase "leaky gut syndrome". And the everything about the GAPS diet to cure it.

Leaky gut also came up at the functional med appointment.

I'm thinking that if I have to go back to him, I really do need a bingo card.