Carbs and macros

Options
Hey all! I'm a vegetarian macro kind of girl and can't seem to not go over my carbs! I'm hoping some of you know how to cut the carbs or can share your secrets or recipes!

Replies

• kyliejo83
    kyliejo83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going over too but I noticed that fitness pal doesn't show net carbs only total carbs. Is there a away to change the setting to show net carbs? This way I can actually eat more and still be in my limit. Thanks
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    But why do you think it matters that if you go over an arbitrary carb goal if you have a healthy diet within your calorie allowance?

Also the default macro percentages haven't been set with vegetarians in mind.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy isn't about making it as difficult as possible, it's rather the opposite.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are your carbs from complex carbohydrates? If so and you feel good I don’t see what the problem is. I’m always under on carbs and higher in fat but I don’t stress about it because I eat nuts and avocados often and that works for me.
    You don’t have to follow macros so much it’s merely guidance and you can adjust to your style of eating.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kyliejo83 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm going over too but I noticed that fitness pal doesn't show net carbs only total carbs. Is there a away to change the setting to show net carbs? This way I can actually eat more and still be in my limit. Thanks

@kyliejo83

No - you have to do the maths yourself.
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I only eat 1 serving of meat per day and I feel ya--it can be tricky, especially since I'm cutting and I'm only eating 30% carbs right now.

I limit fruit, whole grains, and beans. I still eat them, but within my carb limits and usually right before/after training.

I eat plain greek yogurt, cheese/milk, nuts/nut butters, and lots of veggies. I also have to supplement with powders/shakes/bars to meet my protein goals (read the labels here--these can be carb bombs if you don't buy the right kind). If I didn't have my one 4-6oz serving of chicken or fish per day, I'd have to substitute a vegetarian product made from soy protein isolate or wheat gluten isolate (I say isolate because I really mean just the protein--soy and wheat products generally have a lot of carbs).

But I second what others have said: if you feel good and if you're progressing, don't feel like you have to change anything just because the app says so. Listen to your body first.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    But if you are eating at a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter about going over on your macros.
  • Floridapeg
    Floridapeg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how to change my diary to read Total carbs, not net carbs!