Hearts of Palm: Any reason (except price!) to not eat them often?

eric2light
eric2light Posts: 113 Member
edited March 2018 in Food and Nutrition
It seems like I find Hearts of Palm both delicious and very filling. They are very low in calories, like 70 calories for the entire can. Any health reason I should not eat them several times a week?

Other tricks like Hearts of Palm that anyone wants to share, things that seem almost decadent: I'm used to Hearts of Palm being in salads at pretty fancy salad bars. They show up for me as a real treat!

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    You can do a mock tuna dish with them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    There was a discussion a couple of months ago with some ideas:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636318/discovery-hearts-of-palm
  • eric2light
    So, if I eat them like twice a week, there isn't any reason to think there is a problem with that?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    eric2light wrote: »
    It seems like I find Hearts of Palm both delicious and very filling. They are very low in calories, like 70 calories for the entire can. Any health reason I should not eat them several times a week?

Other tricks like Hearts of Palm that anyone wants to share, things that seem almost decadent: I'm used to Hearts of Palm being in salads at pretty fancy salad bars. They show up for me as a real treat!

You can eat anything you want as long as fits in your calorie and nutrition goals. :drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    My main reason for not buying them is that I find them disgusting.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I love hearts of palm. I eat them all the time - pretty much every day. I add them to dishes to bulk them up with few calories. I’ve been eating them this way for 3 years with no ill effects. I also do the same with canned artichoke hearts, but they’re expensive too.
  • eric2light
    I love hearts of palm. I eat them all the thoseime - pretty much every day. I add them to dishes to bulk them up with few calories. I’ve been eating them this way for 3 years with no ill effects. I also do the same with canned artichoke hearts, but they’re expensive too.

Right? Those are amazing... What other nearly-zero calorie treats do you also love? I'm into sour garlic pickles and sauerkraut. Those are total treats that don't add calories much. Got any other tips?
  • eric2light
    kam26001 wrote: »

Oh, tell me how!
  • Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    mx1alfw2a7ah.jpeg

@crazyravr I was looking at the backs of three different cans of hearts of palm and wondering how the calories and potassium levels are so different from what you listed?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »

Oh, tell me how!
    The recipe also calls for cashews (it's processed into a "cheese") so I don't think it will work for you calorie-wise. Here's the recipe anyway (it's only 1/4 cup of cashews):
    http://gastrawnomica.com/2015/05/07/heart-of-palm-vegan-tuna-salad-low-fat-oil-free/

Here's a hearts of palm ceviche recipe (I'd link it but there's a bad word in the URL... those anarchist vegans!):

"2 hearts of palm sticks
    1 tomato (I used roma)
    Sliced onion
    1/4th cucumber
    Jalapeno (as much as you like)
    2 TB cilantro
    Salt
    1 lime
    Chips

Chop all the veggies up. Mince the cilantro.
    Mix everything together with lime juice and salt.
    Eat with chips. ENJOY."
  • Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    @crazyravr Yep. That’s why I asked. I was excited to see 51% potassium so I went to the store and looked online. Granted I did not do a comprehensive search, but was disappointed to see that Wikipedia was the only source I could find that listed anything higher than 30%, with most sources citing less.
  • eric2light
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Cora0477 wrote: »
    mx1alfw2a7ah.jpeg

@crazyravr I was looking at the backs of three different cans of hearts of palm and wondering how the calories and potassium levels are so different from what you listed?

Did you read the labels there? Even the cans tell you different story :)
    Must be that my values were for raw, and this is for preserved. Also that yellow can is completely off.

Not sure what you mean about the different story. If an entire can is like 60 calories, that's amazing, no?
  • eric2light
    mx1alfw2a7ah.jpeg

Must be that my values were for raw, and this is for preserved. Also that yellow can is completely off.

Not sure what you mean about the different story. If an entire can is like 60 calories, that's amazing, no?

But its NOT!!!! No matter what the label says (piece) weight that piece and you will see that the whole can is not 60cal. Dont just blindly trust the labels on food, weight that food.

Why are you so sure that the label is wrong? I've seen several brands and they all seem to be very few calories.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    mx1alfw2a7ah.jpeg

But its NOT!!!! No matter what the label says (piece) weight that piece and you will see that the whole can is not 60cal. Dont just blindly trust the labels on food, weight that food.

Why are you so sure that the label is wrong? I've seen several brands and they all seem to be very few calories.

Again, this is why.

Nutrition Facts for raw.
    Palm hearts
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 115

Also, how do you measure anything in cups that is solid?

USDA 43392, Hearts of Palm, Raw: 115 calories per 100g.
    USDA 11961, Hearts of Palm, Canned: 28 calories per 100g.

I have no idea how or why or whether this would be true (water content?) . . . but I'm pretty sure it's the basis of the disagreement that's going on here. ;)
  • eric2light
    mx1alfw2a7ah.jpeg

Again, this is why.

Nutrition Facts for raw.
    Palm hearts
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 115

Also, how do you measure anything in cups that is solid?

Can you include the references? I assume you have a URL to a USDA site or something?

THANKS!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Yeah, well canned anything is going to weigh more. This is like dry vs cooked beans or pasta. Also, any preserved canned thing is pretty high in sodium. I wish I could eat a lot of stuff like this but it would push my sodium way up and I have to watch that. :( I guess like any condiment, a little would have to go a long way.

Olives, I'm looking at you in all your delicious saltiness.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Yeah, well canned anything is going to weigh more. This is like dry vs cooked beans or pasta. Also, any preserved canned thing is pretty high in sodium. I wish I could eat a lot of stuff like this but it would push my sodium way up and I have to watch that. :( I guess like any condiment, a little would have to go a long way.

Olives, I'm looking at you in all your delicious saltiness.

Drain and rinse them thoroughly after opening the can and you lose some of that sodium. I do that for almost all canned goods.