Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is overrated in my opinion

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    as an EE, no, thermodynamics is not a huge part of my field at all. I took it in college as an elective, and can definitely say that in my career field, I have not had to maintain an awareness of anything I learned and promptly forgot in that class - in fact, thermodynamics was a ME core class and many colleges don't even require EEs to take it as an elective.

While I know that principles from the laws of thermodynamics of course underpin the reality of life, I don't have to directly use those principles in my career field any more than I have to directly use the basic principles of chemistry, and I certainly cannot use the basic information I got in the entry level chemistry and thermodynamics classes to claim that I am any kind of authority on the matter, especially in comparison to someone who majored in chemistry and took many more advanced classes on the subject. Its no different than how human beings live and operate in a reality governed by the laws of mathematics without completely understanding the essential elements of those laws - for instance, how the great wonders of the ancient world were built by people who only had a rudimentary understanding of mathematics and science gained solely through observation. Or how my father, who barely made it through high school, can't understand trigonometry formulas or solve mathematical equations beyond basic algebra and yet can still figure out how to design and build houses, models, or whatever else he wants to make. Being able to build a house or make a model certainly doesn't qualify my father to be an authority over a civil engineer whose career field is structural design!

So no, I do not consider engineering to be at the same level as a scientist; it all depends on what career field you used your degree in - are you a research EE or a designer? It makes a huge difference. And even as an EE, does that truly give you authority over a career biologist or physicist PhD who's career is in a research laboratory?

In my first job out of college, I worked for a naval lab where the engineers were very much into design and research. I left that job and went to work for a power utility where there was much less research and much more application of previously established rules and guidelines in troubleshooting problems and adding/upgrading circuits and facilities. In my particular job, I don't even directly apply the theories of electromagnetic fields in my day to day work, even though they directly apply to my career field; if I need to design a power line, I simply apply my design criteria to the established tables provided by my company's guidelines and use the results provided; I don't go back to my electromagnetic fields course materials to try to design the power line from scratch, and in fact, I'd have to think long and hard on how to even do that since I haven't had to go that deep into the theory behind the subject in 15 years.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Which brings us back to where we started, I.e. the definition of cico when used here. The equation or the diet. I am using it to mean the diet per my search results and also what I’ve seen from the majority of the posters here.

I’ll save the topic of whether all calories have the same impact on the body, irrespective of source, for a different day.

Woo away!

See, this is where it's good to have a liberal arts degree**, even though lots of people diss them routinely.

You're using a figure of speech called a "synecdoche", but don't seem to realize it, leading to what appears to be a conceptual error.

(** Better yet, I never once had to use the words "Would you like fries with that?" in a professional capacity. ;) )

Highly dependent upon the decade one received the degree. (I speak from experience holding my first BAs in Anthropology & Sociology).

...and our medical department runs far more efficient and at a much higher level thanks to the addition of an English major. I just feel dirty saying it, but cannot argue with objective evidence.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Efficiently?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Efficiently?

I laughed much harder than I should have. I think this just proves his point. My English is horrible. It's just not in my brain wiring. I am thankful for spellcheck.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    some other good stuff, which emphasizes why resistance training is so important..

It should be clear from the chart above that one pound of fat and one pound of muscle contain a different amount of stored energy. In the case of muscle, one pound contains 600-700 calories while only one pound of body fat actually represents the 3,500 calorie rule value. Put differently, if someone created a 3,500 calorie deficit and lost 100% fat they would lose exactly one pound of body weight. If they lost 100% skeletal muscle, they would actually lose 5-6 lbs of total weight (3500 calories/ 600-700 cal/ lb = 5-6 lbs). Both represent 3,500 calories of energy lost but the total weight loss is clearly very different.

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 2904-2909). Lyle McDonald.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the issues discussed above, there is an arguably even more important factor, one that is critical for the understanding of the dynamics of weight/ fat loss or gain. This is that both sides of the energy balance equation can and do change in response to changes in food intake, activity levels and the actual changes in weight or body composition. I can't tell if this fact is unknown or simply ignored by those who deny the energy balance equation but it is critical to both understand and accept. As I will discus thoroughly in the next chapter, in response to weight/ fat loss, the body will adapt and both increase hunger/ appetite (in an attempt to get people to eat more) while it decreases TDEE. This also occurs in response to weight gain although it seems that the body is better at defending weight/ fat loss than weight and fat gain under most conditions.

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 2959-2964). Lyle McDonald.