So I sleep ate last night...

Options
...and I didn't sleep log.

I am still weirded out about it. I ate my lunch last night while asleep. I haven't sleep-walked since I was a kid that I know of. The only good news is that I ate my lunch and I didn't pig out on peanut butter or something. I have only a good guess at the calories seeing that I didn't sleep weigh anything.

It was semi-lucid. I knew something was wrong with what I was doing but unable to stop. I cooked chicken from raw and I suppose I checked the temperature because the thermometer was out but who knows what dream brain saw.

This kind of thing is only supposed to happen in sitcoms like 30 Rock when Liz was doing it, right?

Thoughts?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do you by any chance taken Ambien?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I did under-eat a good chunk of last week due to sickness. By Saturday I was definitely feeling malnourished and weak. I have been eating well this week and consciously trying to replenish myself.

No, no ambien.

The only other thing that is different is I am taking Magnesium on the suggestion of the sleep thread.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

This.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm on a fairly high dose of magnesium as part of my migraine protocol, and I barely remember my dreams. Our daughter is a sleep walker who has eaten a time or two at night if she's been busy during the day and not made time to eat (she's an adult!). I'll have to make sure she never takes any magnesium.
  • Diastole
    Diastole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    An extreme solution but padlock the food cupboards. Hopefully sleepwalking you isn`t dextrous enough to unlock it?
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Padlocking won't work. When we sleepwalk and do tasks, our hind brain is in control so we retain all of our motor skills. What we can't do is make rational decisions which is why you can be aware of your actions but not stop them.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Diastole wrote: »
    An extreme solution but padlock the food cupboards. Hopefully sleepwalking you isn`t dextrous enough to unlock it?

OP cooked while sleepwalking. I somehow doubt that a padlock would be much of a barrier.

My brother once took out ALL light bulbs in the house while sleepwalking. That was fun. Docs eventually found out that he was having paradox reactions to paracetamol. Making sure he never has that stuff ensures that he no longer sleepwalks.

OP, I hope it was either a one time thing for you or that you find the trigger if it happens more often.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I have zero experience with this so take it how you want: I do know that there are many people that say magnesium causes them very vivid dreams because it promotes deep sleep and sleepwalking happens during deep sleep so....if you have a history of sleepwalking, maybe there's a connection.

I take magnesium, and I definitely have much more vivid, memorable dreams as a result. A couple of others that I know take it also have vivid dreams from it. But it's never made me sleepwalk. If you have a history of sleepwalking, though, maybe it would exacerbate it?
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Yea man, Ambien make you do some weird stuff and you won't remember a thing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

A family friend would get up and do gardening!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options

A family friend would get up and do gardening!

When i was married I used to tell my husband that we should go clubbing ( i dont even dance ) And I wouldn't remember the conversation at all. It was the best sleep aid i've ever used otherwise.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live in fear of stuff like this. I was a heavy sleep walker until I was 12 and now I only sleep walk during times of great stress. I’ve never cooked or eaten while sleep walking, but I have a tendency to go outside and wander off. My poor mother never got much sleep.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My daughter was a sleep walker when she was pre-teenaged. I don't know if she still does it, but when she was super stressed about something (tests, auditions, etc.) she would sleep shower and sleep get ready for school.

It was pretty stress-driven.

If you're stressed (about life, diet, etc.) this could be your body's way of telling you to take a diet break or something of the like. Combine that with a low calorie week, and your body is just messin' with you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Not just Ambien. I'm on zopliclone and am ok if I wake up naturally but if I get woken up boy am I a stumbling drunk. I first started taking it in hospital and they wake you for 7 am vitals. I'd fall back asleep and wake up around 10 not remembering if the nurse gave me my morning meds, what my blood pressure was and even who my nurse for the day was. I'd call for my meds and ask what my bp was and she said oh you asked the same question 3 hours ago. It was freaky.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My sister used to sleep eat at the height of her anorexia. Have you been undereating?

When I was in early recovery for my eating disorder I did this often. Whole boxes of cereal more than once. I had extreme anxiety around food and learning to eat healthier which was triggering night binges in my sleep.