Turkey Bacon is a LIE

Options
I have come to the conclusion that turkey bacon is worse for you than pig bacon.

Here's the thing. I live in a small town, with two small-ish grocery stores. Because of their size, they don't have much variety when it comes to labels, so MAYBE it's just the brand of turkey bacon available in this area that I find unhealthy. But according to the label, turkey bacon is the same amount of calories as regular bacon when you compare weight and serving size. In fact, in some brands it's actually 5-10 calories more. But it's not just about the calories. There are so many additional additives on the ingredient label for turkey bacon that it makes me highly suspicious. Furthermore, since I can never seem to keep my sodium level under my goal, I've been trying extra hard to find low sodium products. Much to my surprise, most regular bacon actually has a lower sodium count than turkey bacon. So, I've decided, unless someone has something brilliant to say about this, I'm going back to regular bacon.

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use smoked chicken in things that need bacon, but I don't know about calorie or sodium comparisons.

GG
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love regular bacon. I don't eat it every day but I do make breakfast with some eggs and 2 strips of bacon once or twice per week (sometimes more) and have been able to lose weight eating it as long as I make sure to just eat my 2 strips and not munch on it mindlessly.
  • chapagonzo
    Options
    I heard today that consuming two strips of bacon daily will double your risk of diabetes.......
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Best Choice: Give both up. If turkey bacon is worse, then neither are good.
  • ewegner
    ewegner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I honestly just hate all of the GREASE from regular bacon. Oscar Mayer makes a lower sodium turkey bacon - and although there are many additives, what doesn't have that nowadays. I hear that buying center cut regular bacon is the best - still high in fat, but not as bad as the cheaper cuts. I say, if you don't eat it that often anyway, what's the big deal? Enjoy your Bacon! :)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Stay on top of that Sodium!! I'm happy you are learning about what foods you eat!!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon IS better for you. But the key is MODERATION!
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Greta, first it was the cake, and now the turkey bacon is a lie!
    (Sorry, I'm a nerd...)
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I buy organic uncured turkey bacon. 30 cal per slice.
  • trouserchili
    Options
    Yup, turkey bacon is processed floor scrapings basically. They tumble the bones, connective tissues, etc in a giant centrifuge thing that strips the bits and pieces off. It then gets mashed and ground together with some of the organs then washed in lye to disinfect it, then washed and rinsed again. Then formed into "bacon".

Actually it's much more involved but that's the Cliff notes of it. Nasty stuff. Stay away.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    And also, it's gross. That's enough for me.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I only EVER eat real bacon (real cheese, etc) I only have 2 or 3 slices at a time (instead of a half lb) but I REFUSE to give up bacon. A life w/o bacon isn't much of a life imo
    Just choose the LEANEST bacon you can find and don't over do -
    you're right - Fresh unprocessed bacon is better for you (and tastes better) than turkey bacon any day
    A little fat is part of a healthy diet

oh damn, now I want a BLT (sigh)
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon IS better for you. But the key is MODERATION!

Why is it better?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i will stick with the devine swine
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Greta, first it was the cake, and now the turkey bacon is a lie!
    (Sorry, I'm a nerd...)

:laugh:

They totally should have used bacon instead of cake. That would have been AWESOME.
  • ElleW88
    ElleW88 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think it's sort of unreasonable to give them both up. If I were going to develop a healthy lifestyle based on that mindset, I would extremely unhappy. :) I don't eat bacon every day. In fact, I have it so rarely it's almost a non-issue. Maybe twice a month I crumble two pieces of bacon on a salad. I doubt that's enough to contribute negatively to my wieight-loss goals.
  • madeline31692
    Options
    It may be your limited brand choices. The Kroger brand turkey bacon I buy is much less calories and fat. Haven't checked the sodium. Most of the time I'd rather have 2-3 slices of bacon every once in a while than turkey bacon all the time. Same way I'd rather have 1/2 a slice of pie than that silly pie-flavored yogurt!
  • jlrae
    jlrae Posts: 35
    Options
    Yup, turkey bacon is processed floor scrapings basically. They tumble the bones, connective tissues, etc in a giant centrifuge thing that strips the bits and pieces off. It then gets mashed and ground together with some of the organs then washed in lye to disinfect it, then washed and rinsed again. Then formed into "bacon".

Actually it's much more involved but that's the Cliff notes of it. Nasty stuff. Stay away.

Ooooh now I'm hungry! LoL.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No, turkey "bacon" is not really better for you. Check out the sodium, it's substantially higher. As are the overall calories. The protein is either usually the same or lower. And while neither bacon would ever qualify as health food for anyone, in moderation (as has been said), regular bacon is probably a better choice for the occasional BLT (hold the mayo).

Or Canadian bacon, eh? I've not looked at the numbers, but it always seems less fatty than either.

Mostly, though, turkey bacon is the work of the devil. !!!THE DEVIL!!! Who else could take a lovely and beautimous article such as (insert angel music here) Real Honest Maple Bacon (yes I added the maple..) and turn it into TURKEY. EVIL I sez, evil! EEEEeeviiilllll!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled healthy eating schedules. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Your mileage may vary. P.S. Don't blame me, I live in the South. Thank you.

Pj
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is a lower sodium bacon (I'm not sure of the brand name). I have used it and didn't notice any difference from regular bacon. I use two stripes of bacon when I have scrambled eggs and that works well. I like scrambled eggs now and then for lunch rather than breakfast. My breakfast during the week is oatmeal (cooked in the micro) and packaged dry cereal (honeynut cheerios) on the weekends with 1/2 banana, sliced. Skim milk with the cereal and in coffee works well for me. Good luck with your program, FG