I want to gain weight

Options
I'm 5"2' and I weight about 94 pounds and I'm 21. I want to weigh about 110 pounds, any advice on how to successfully gain this much weight in a decent amount of time ? recipes and fitness tips ?? anything is appreciated

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories than you need to maintain your weight. I'd also suggest running an established weight lifting program so that it's more muscle than fat or at least a 1:1 ratio. Don't go too fast and run a small surplus...the faster you put on weight, the more fat it will be. I'd shoot for no more than about 2 Lbs per month.
  • jeccikaamoroness
    jeccikaamoroness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    this app says my calorie intake should be about 2100 daily to gain weight but I've tried a few calorietrackers and the calorie intake is always different. would you know of a good amount to make me gain 2 pounds a month?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to do some trial and error. Try on 2100 calories (if you are using MFP, you will have extra calories from any exercise). See how much you gain over several weeks. If it's too slow, add a bit more calories. Too fast, drop it back.
  • jeccikaamoroness
    jeccikaamoroness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    this app says my calorie intake should be about 2100 daily to gain weight but I've tried a few calorietrackers and the calorie intake is always different. would you know of a good amount to make me gain 2 pounds a month?

All these calculators do is give you a reasonable estimate based on population statistics and various algorithms. They give you a reasonable starting point, but it's up to you to adjust based on your actual results.
  • meganjonesuk1
    meganjonesuk1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely, i'm currently on a weight gain programme too.

My aim is to put on 14lbs so that I can give blood and build a booty! I'm naturally very lean and petite so i find it quite difficult.

Not sure if this is helpful but this is what I've researched so far and based my plan on:
    * I used a calculator which took into account my height ( 5ft 1) , current weight (46kg), exercise level ( 5/6 days a week) and my goal ( weight gain which adds a 500 calorie surplus) to determine my calories : 2528 per day
    * then based on my body type researched macros , as someone with higher metabolism I need higher carbs, but still a healthy fat range being female , so the ratio I'm working on at the moment is carbs 45 percent, protein 30 percent and fat 25 percent.
    * workouts- mainly weight lifting, moderate cardio and glute focused heavy lifting.
    * Eating six meals a day, breakfast, lunch , dinner and three "snacks"

I'm starting today so not sure how its going to go and I'm sure ill need to make some tweaks along the way!

Let me know how your journey is going so far!!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Bear in mind that a TDEE calculator is designed to take your exercise level into account already (choose an option for how active you are, 3-5 workouts per week etc) whereas MyFitnessPal intends for you to choose an activity level without considering exercise and to add calories from exercises as you do them so you get "extra" calories (Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) method). This might account for the differences between calculators.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you need help getting in foods: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

And if you want a well structure lifting program: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Women tend to favor StrongCurves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Strong Leaner Thinner.
  • mcgriffdd
    mcgriffdd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be very frustrating to gain while the world it set on losing.. I smoked cigs and I picked up a snack to avoid picking up one and ended up gaining weight... I started at 110 at the time like fall 2017 I’m now 136.. I will say I was drinking a shake with each meal. Also, I tried apetamin once my appetite returned to nothing once cig cravings was over, but I worked out at the same time..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

??????????? Not true...

how so?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

??????????? Not true...

how so?

Because i dont think OP wants to gain 15lbs of fat,let alone the cholesterol,high blood pressure etc associated with fast food... Yeah you can count macros but how much fat is in junkfood? She can eat more healthier foods and gain just as easily.

I can think of plenty high fat "healthy" foods - avocado, nuts...all the stuff that the keto diet folks eat in large quantities...

you can eat some fun food and still gain limited fat while trying to build mass - no one said her entire diet needs to be junk food (which is the common strawman used when folks say you can eat anything you want) - its up to the OP to figure out what satiates her and will enable her to hit her calorie goals in order to gain weight
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

??????????? Not true...

how so?

Because i dont think OP wants to gain 15lbs of fat,let alone the cholesterol,high blood pressure etc associated with fast food... Yeah you can count macros but how much fat is in junkfood? She can eat more healthier foods and gain just as easily.

No one is advocating a diet of pure junk.... we have to look at the whole diet here...keeping most of the foods nutrient dense, hitting macros, there is nothing wrong with adding in some treats. That is how many people do it, and do not gain all fat (I am one of them! You can check out my progress pic in the other thread if you wish).

It's really not necessary, you really want to suffer in your bulk for months?. People that bulk on over 4000 cals especially will have a hard time. Maybe not for one day, maybe not for a week... but if they are bulking for 6+ months, even longer, weight is going up, TDEE is going up, it gets exhausting. Believe me. I have been there. And I have been here a long time... I have seen people try to keep it all clean and they are back here months later exactly where they started (or worse). It happens A LOT.