I want to gain weight

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    you didn't read the post did you?

if you hit your macros (including fat) then what's wrong with 'junk food'? eating a doughnut (or whatever you call junk) doesnt negate the nutritional value of the 'good' stuff you also ate

I did read the post...The point im trying to make ex.. 1 donut 310 cals/16gr fat.. 4oz steak 307 cal 22gr fat..
    You eat the donut and half hr later you are hungry.. IMO those are wasted calories..Id rather eat the steak.

But exactly.. for some people when they are bulking they are so full. Let's say I had a steak and veggies for dinner. Why would I eat it again or something equally as filling at the end of the day when I am stuffed and a donut could easily suffice? If I had to eat 3500 cals of just clean foods I'd feel so full I probably wouldn't hit my cal goal.. not only that but I would feel bloated my sleep and my workout performance would suffer as would my results.

I didn't say it wasn't doable.. I said it wasn't necessary. If you feel better doing it that way, great, there are many people who bulk like that for many reasons.. but thinking having a donut or cookie or ice cream will derail results is not true. Many people come in here think that is the case and spin their wheels.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Oh boy...
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had "junk food" on my bulk and stayed relatively lean. I went with an 80/20 rule, kept the surplus at 250-300 and hit my macros. body doesn't invent fat from junk food but not clean food. surplus amount is significantly more relevant.

And bulk is when you should mentally get a bit of a break because come cut time the junk food becomes harder to fit in and not be starving and hit macros
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I had "junk food" on my bulk and stayed relatively lean. I went with an 80/20 rule, kept the surplus at 250-300 and hit my macros. body doesn't invent fat from junk food but not clean food. surplus amount is significantly more relevant.

And bulk is when you should mentally get a bit of a break because come cut time the junk food becomes harder to fit in and not be starving and hit macros

All of this. I go out with my family every Sunday for sundaes and, after bulking 10-12 lbs over the last six months, am still under 20% body fat. I also eat pizza, burgers, Chinese, etc. on the regular.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

??????????? Not true...

how so?

Because i dont think OP wants to gain 15lbs of fat,let alone the cholesterol,high blood pressure etc associated with fast food... Yeah you can count macros but how much fat is in junkfood? She can eat more healthier foods and gain just as easily.

The OP is 21. I don't think she needs to worry about high cholesterol/high blood pressure/diabetes/whatever at 110 lbs, regardless of how she gets there.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    you didn't read the post did you?

if you hit your macros (including fat) then what's wrong with 'junk food'? eating a doughnut (or whatever you call junk) doesnt negate the nutritional value of the 'good' stuff you also ate

I did read the post...The point im trying to make ex.. 1 donut 310 cals/16gr fat.. 4oz steak 307 cal 22gr fat..
    You eat the donut and half hr later you are hungry.. IMO those are wasted calories..Id rather eat the steak.

Speaking from personal experience, I have a hard time reaching my calorie goal as I'm not a volume eater and get full very quickly. Adding a bit of "junk food" helps me to add calories on days when I am finding it hard to reach my goal. I eat more nutritious food as well. Adding something like a doughnut or ice-cream doesn't negate the other stuff I've eaten.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    nothing wrong with junk food. A diet of all Junk food.. sure that's not a great idea for health but 80/20 rule and hit your macros and micros and you'll be fine. Restricted diets fail and are totally unnecessary.

??????????? Not true...

Agree with skinny cow. Saying restricted diets fail is like saying having a challenging job leads to unemployment. I’ve been on a restricted diet for years. It depends on the person.

But it may be good for a beginner to ease into a healthy diet rather than totally restricting their diet. MAYBE. Because I know if I let myself eat junk food at all, I will only want to eat more junk. Instead I never eat junk food and I never crave it.

Plus I care about my skin and that’s really affected by junk food.

Anyways do what works for you.

That mindset about never having any "junk" food is actually an eating disorder called orthorexia. Just something to think about.

Only if it becomes obsessive in that you suffer extreme anxiety if you don't eat "healthy" food.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    nothing wrong with junk food. A diet of all Junk food.. sure that's not a great idea for health but 80/20 rule and hit your macros and micros and you'll be fine. Restricted diets fail and are totally unnecessary.

??????????? Not true...

Agree with skinny cow. Saying restricted diets fail is like saying having a challenging job leads to unemployment. I’ve been on a restricted diet for years. It depends on the person.

But it may be good for a beginner to ease into a healthy diet rather than totally restricting their diet. MAYBE. Because I know if I let myself eat junk food at all, I will only want to eat more junk. Instead I never eat junk food and I never crave it.

so you haven't had one single ice cream in year's? because when people day "avoid junk food" vs Maybe saying "eat a balanced diet" its often taken to literally and the hole thing comes crashing down because someone thinks they failed after one snickers bar a month

This.
    To be honest, I see no problem if people are able to easily reach their goals by eating "healthy" food (though I know there is disagreement about what that actually means) But on this forum there are a fair few if us who struggle with low appetite and /or feeling full, or chronic illness which restricts what we can eat. There is no way I could reach my goals by sticking to lean meat, fish, vegetables and whole grains because some I can't eat at all and others I would be unable to eat sufficient amounts of. Having said that, I rarely eat junk food either, if what's meant by that is takeaways or ready cooked meals, because my gut won't tolerate them, but it can and does tolerate ice cream and things like doughnuts so if I'm short on calories then that's what I'll reach for. And, you can't get a faster food than a quick handful of nuts and they're also high in fat ;does this make them junk food?
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hang around me for a week, 'ya gain weight. :D:D:D
  • Davidsdottir
    edited May 2018
    Options

??????????? Not true...

That mindset about never having any "junk" food is actually an eating disorder called orthorexia. Just something to think about.

Only if it becomes obsessive in that you suffer extreme anxiety if you don't eat "healthy" food.

Fair enough. I should have phrased it as not allowing yourself to have rather than not eating.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

??????????? Not true...

Fair enough. I should have phrased it as not allowing yourself to have rather than not eating.

:) Didn't mean to jump on you
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

??????????? Not true...

:) Didn't mean to jump on you

No worries. I knew what I meant to say, but didn't come across clearly. My bad.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

??????????? Not true...

so you haven't had one single ice cream in year's? because when people day "avoid junk food" vs Maybe saying "eat a balanced diet" its often taken to literally and the hole thing comes crashing down because someone thinks they failed after one snickers bar a month

I haven’t a ice cream in over a year, but I can’t remember I may have had one in 2016. Doesn’t bother me. I enjoy the food I eat. If other people want to eat junk food I don’t think anything is wrong with that. But there’s also nothing wrong with not eating junk food ever and it doesn’t mean you have a disorder or are going to fail in your diet.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options

??????????? Not true...

I enjoy what I eat and have no stress around eating. I don’t need junk food so it’s not like I’m missing out on a necessity. Orthorexia isn’t about restriction, you have to have something negative with it like stress or fear around eating the wrong thing. If I accidentally ate a donut I would say “oh well! That was fun!” If an Orthorexic ate a donut by accident they would freak out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

??????????? Not true...

I enjoy what I eat and have no stress around eating. I don’t need junk food so it’s not like I’m missing out on a necessity. Orthorexia isn’t about restriction, you have to have something negative with it like stress or fear around eating the wrong thing. If I accidentally ate a donut I would say “oh well! That was fun!” If an Orthorexic ate a donut by accident they would freak out.

How does anyone eat something by 'accident'?

Other than flies when running!