How can lose weight with having hypothyroidism?

Options

Replies

• TerranandKaylynsmommy
    TerranandKaylynsmommy Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As you will know the thyroid releases T4, which is then converted into T3.
    A person with normal thyroid function produces somewhere around 20 -25mcg T3 per day.
    Once anyone starts to supplement with synthetic T3, the body instantly stops producing it.
    So a standard single tab at 25 mcg will just about bring you to normal levels, anymore would obviously elevate the metabolism more (but this needs to be medically supervised).
    naturally.
    The problem I see with T3, especially in women, is rapid weight gain when they eventually come off the stuff.
    For yourself, you are probably going to be on it for the rest of your life, but for many women, especially bikini fitness, bikini physique or bodybuilding types, they may use it for a few months before a show, but when they come off, their natural T3 production has stopped, so the metabolism is at a virtual standstill, this is when the weight gain starts.
    It can take months for natural T3 production to come back up to pre supplemented levels, and in some cases it doesn't happen at all, so they have to go back on for life.

What does that have to do with someone who makes no T4 or T3, and thus has to supplement? Those of us with Hashimoto aren't going to get natural production again. Period.

Youre certainly not wrong. I have hashimotos and without my medicine the t3 t4 situation is all outta wack.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I’m having problems losing weight because I always gain it back. I have thyroid problems and it’s really making me wanna give up on trying to lose weight. Do anybody have any advice on what I can do?

Get your thyroid levels checked out and take whatever meds the doctor suggests.
    I am hypothyroid (no thyroid due to radioactive iodine several years ago). I have no trouble losing weight, when I really try. Just don't give up!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid, and with the proper medication, losing weight is no different for me than for a "normal" person. I prefer to take dessicated thyroid. Armor is the name brand sold in the U.S.. but I buy my meds from overseas, long story involving my insurance company why, but it's cheaper that way. This site, Stop the Thyroid Madness is my go-to information source. All that being said, you need to see a doctor to figure out what meds you need to be on and in what quantity. You must be sure that your condition is under control, or all your efforts to lose might, unfortunately, not be enough.
  • Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My levels are fine but still having issues
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to lose? Are you following the MFP recommendations for calories? If so, how are you measuring your intake? Are you using a food scale? Are you exercising? I'm just trying to figure out what your issues are and different things you could try.
  • Chewbac7777
    Options
    Well just started on here but i do go to the gym 3-4times a week
  • scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I take liquid iodine from health food store, not recommending that anyone take anything but it seems to helps me.
  • DerpfaceKillah
    DerpfaceKillah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain but at I'm just going to echo what several people have said here already. Get your medication under control, then log everything you put in your mouth.

I had lost 40 pounds last year, then my parents got sick and the stress of taking care of them made me gain it all back. I decided to go back to being more strict with my calories again. I did exactly what I did last year but the scale kept slowing going up. I had some other health issues as well so I went and got tested and sure enough, I'm hypo. I got my meds and in 6 days lost 4 pounds just continuing to do what I had been for the last 5 months.

It can get really discouraging when your doing everything right and nothing is working. If you are being honest with yourself about diet and exercise and the scale isn't showing your efforts, your meds are out of wack.
  • Chewbac7777
    Options
    Thank you very much
  • Chewbac7777
    Options
    I have lost 25lbs but its last 40 im having trouble with
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25lbs but its last 40 im having trouble with

Wait until you get to the last 10 :) That's where the real fun begins. The margin of error decreases the closer we get to goal.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also hypothyroid and agree that loosing weight is still totally possible. What you might need to check out are your iron and Vit D levels as deficiencies of these are fairly common with hypo. Low or even low-normal levels of either can make it difficult to lose weight, not to mention unhealthy longer term consequences.
    Also, even though it still comes down to how many calories in and out, with thyroid problems you should be avoiding calories from inflammatory foods. You would feel better in general.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid and lost 54 pounds. Gained a few back so now losing again. No secret!!! Diet and exercise. That's it. Exercise, move, move. Log all food, every bite.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started going to Vegas all you can eat buffets so that put the weight back on.
  • aguilargaby31
    aguilargaby31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...my name is Gaby I’m 40 yrs old and fairly new to MFP. I’ve been tracking calories and exercising for about a month now. I’ve lost 3pds and I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis (autoimmune disorder that causes hypothyroid). I have had it for about 18 years now. I have experienced my weight go up and down many times. Usually when I plateau my levels are off. Once levels are adjusted, the weight slowly comes off. My experience, a healthy slow weight loss is better for me. Weight stays off longer. I follow the AIP (autoimmune paleo diet). Lately I have experienced a 10 pound weight gain in the last year...hence why I’m tracking calories on MFP and love the app. Good luck and you can do anything just understand your own will power to stick with a diet that fits you.