Options

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    candistyx wrote: »
    It doesn't sound right unless you are extremely short. Are you sure you have entered your stats correctly? I'm slightly lighter than you, entered my stats, set calories to 1600 and once a month 2100 and it gave me a prediction of 12 kg a year (which is very close to what I usually lose yearly).
    I put 167cm and 109kg. Maybe it thought I meant lbs but I definitely selected metric.

You're about my height, so your results shouldn't be too far off. I selected metric too and gave me 12 kg for a year. Check that you entered your height and year of birth correctly.

Kg a month is still pretty slow going. Might try cutting calories some more in that case. I feel kind of overfull with 1600 on OMAD anyway. I want to be finished with the losing phase in 2 and a half years so I can get pregnant again. So I need to be losing 2kg a month at least.

In my experience, 1 kg a month averages out to about 1800 net calories. This calculator may be taking the statistical slow down seen in studies, but that's mostly because people tend to get bored of dieting and start eating more than the calories they set out to eat in the beginning. 6 years of tracking, which included eating at maintenance for a while every year, puts me at around 7800-8000 calories deficit per kg, which is faster than what this calculator gave me. I wouldn't worry about this calculator. Just get a trending app and record your daily weight.
    I’m worried I’m going to accidentally eat too much early on when my extra mass gives me more tdee and thus more potential deficit and then once I’m smaller and have much less tdee to cut from I won’t be able to do anything about it and I’ll be stuck losing weight for 10 years and won’t get to have any more kids.

set MFP to lose 2lb per week... eat that amount plus exercise cals. use your real life weight loss after 6 weeks to see if you're eating too much or not enough.

sounds like you're way overthinking everything and making life more difficult for yourself than it needs to be
    I enjoy thinking about it. It’s exciting. I’m 2kg away from my second of 11 goals and when I get there I’m getting a 2oz silver coin. It’s so close yet so far. I’m already way ahead of my initial plan which makes me happy but I’m also nervous about falling behind long term so I want to keep on top of things.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    Try: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html
    Click on "Switch to Expert Mode"

All these things are predictions. And they cannot predict, for example, how much more active you will become as you lose weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP maybe play around with this.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html

You are requesting something that really cannot take every predictor of what happens during an individuals weightloss. You are worrying about things into the future that may or may not even happen to you. If you religiously stick to your deficit everyday/weeks you will reach your goal. Weight loss is not linear as you already know, I would make a plan C or D (what ever you want to call it) to have refeeds/diet breaks during your weight loss. I'll post that link here as well, read the first couple of pages and the video.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • candistyx
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

All these things are predictions. And they cannot predict, for example, how much more active you will become as you lose weight.

Right but I am assuming all predictions are based on that staying the same.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

jinx.
  • candistyx
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You are requesting something that really cannot take every predictor of what happens during an individuals weightloss. You are worrying about things into the future that may or may not even happen to you. If you religiously stick to your deficit everyday/weeks you will reach your goal. Weight loss is not linear as you already know, I would make a plan C or D (what ever you want to call it) to have refeeds/diet breaks during your weight loss. I'll post that link here as well, read the first couple of pages and the video.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

It’s super scary though isn’t it. Like I’m doing OMAD and my husband is taking me out to eat at freaking 5 guys tomorrow and I logged what I’m going to have and I know it fits in 1600kcal and it’s fine but I feel like no way, I can’t lose weight this week if I had 5 guys. And I know I’ll gain some from the sodium making it feel even more real that I won’t be able to lose this week and I just can’t believe it but when I don’t lose I’m going to feel like “no way I am gaining!! *kitten* I need less calories!” I feel so torn like should I cut them again or should I just stick with this and potentially stay fat forever. I should just tell him to cancel but I’m also really looking forward to it.

Looking at predictions is kind of calming. Like I should not gain weight. Even eating 5 guys. If I’m religious about counting every calorie (or overestimating) I should be ok. But it’s also scary because you see that people slow down in weight loss so much and if I don’t lose fast now when I’m super fat then I won’t have any chance of keeping up with my plan of half a kilo a week.
  • candistyx
    Options

It’s super scary though isn’t it. Like I’m doing OMAD and my husband is taking me out to eat at freaking 5 guys tomorrow and I logged what I’m going to have and I know it fits in 1600kcal and it’s fine but I feel like no way, I can’t lose weight this week if I had 5 guys. And I know I’ll gain some from the sodium making it feel even more real that I won’t be able to lose this week and I just can’t believe it but when I don’t lose I’m going to feel like “no way I am gaining!! *kitten* I need less calories!” I feel so torn like should I cut them again or should I just stick with this and potentially stay fat forever. I should just tell him to cancel but I’m also really looking forward to it.

Looking at predictions is kind of calming. Like I should not gain weight. Even eating 5 guys. If I’m religious about counting every calorie (or overestimating) I should be ok. But it’s also scary because you see that people slow down in weight loss so much and if I don’t lose fast now when I’m super fat then I won’t have any chance of keeping up with my plan of half a kilo a week.

If you weigh your food you won't be overestimating. The occasional outing like going to 5 Guys just causes temporary weight fluctuation, but its water. The predictions are just predictions as no calculator can take the place of what is happening to you individually.

Overthinking and having a lot of anxiety over this is not going to make things in your weight loss work better or faster. Also family, social events, holidays etc are going to be a part of your life now and way into weight management, so I would work on handling these better.

Nothing I or anyone else here can ease your mind on this as its something you will have to work through over time.

If you weigh your food you won't be overestimating. The occasional outing like going to 5 Guys just causes temporary weight fluctuation, but its water. The predictions are just predictions as no calculator can take the place of what is happening to you individually.

Overthinking and having a lot of anxiety over this is not going to make things in your weight loss work better or faster. Also family, social events, holidays etc are going to be a part of your life now and way into weight management, so I would work on handling these better.

Nothing I or anyone else here can ease your mind on this as its something you will have to work through over time.
    did I ask you to “ease my mind”. Can a girl not share her feelings around here?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

So then either run a new model where you increase activity halfway through, or accept that you're going to have to redo your charts when you become more active.
  • candistyx
    Options

So then either run a new model where you increase activity halfway through, or accept that you're going to have to redo your charts when you become more active.[/quote]

I would like to add some exercise in the future, but if I can't fit it in now how will I fit it in later? I did make the reward for my 3rd goal to be joining an exercise class (I can't really afford it financially but I need stuff to motivate me so I will have to find a way... maybe if I can get my son potty trained I can use the nappy moneh!)

I do plan to drop calories as my tdee drops, but I don't know if I can trust myself eating less and less. By my last goal I'll be on 1100kcal a day which sounds a bit scary. Like these are all vague plans. What *really* happens is the fear isn't it? I want to have wiggle room once it gets hard.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I would like to add some exercise in the future, but if I can't fit it in now how will I fit it in later? I did make the reward for my 3rd goal to be joining an exercise class (I can't really afford it financially but I need stuff to motivate me so I will have to find a way... maybe if I can get my son potty trained I can use the nappy moneh!)

I do plan to drop calories as my tdee drops, but I don't know if I can trust myself eating less and less. By my last goal I'll be on 1100kcal a day which sounds a bit scary. Like these are all vague plans. What *really* happens is the fear isn't it? I want to have wiggle room once it gets hard.

what stats are you working on to only get to eat 1100 cals?
  • candistyx
    Options

67kg and 167cm still aiming for 0.5kg a week.

My 11 goals are:

113kg (already got that one yay!) (1600kcal)
    107kg (1600kcal)
    102kg (1500kcal)
    97kg (1500kcal)
    92kg (1400kcal)
    87kg (1300kcal)
    83kg (1300kcal)
    79kg (1300kcal)
    71kg (1200kcal)
    67kg (1100kcal)

I don't want to stop losing at 67kg (although it's the final goal) because it's still at the top of the normal BMI and I want to have some buffer zone to prevent me going over it again once I get there.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

67kg and 167cm still aiming for 0.5kg a week.

My 11 goals are:

113kg (already got that one yay!) (1600kcal)
    107kg (1600kcal)
    102kg (1500kcal)
    97kg (1500kcal)
    92kg (1400kcal)
    87kg (1300kcal)
    83kg (1300kcal)
    79kg (1300kcal)
    71kg (1200kcal)
    67kg (1100kcal)

I don't want to stop losing at 67kg (although it's the final goal) because it's still at the top of the normal BMI and I want to have some buffer zone to prevent me going over it again once I get there.

but you wont want to lose at the same rate of loss the whole time?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Then don't add it in?

It's either add it in, or don't. So why on earth are you worrying that it's not reflecting added exercise if you don't even think that you're going to add it in?

You're making this far more difficult than it needs to be. And that's coming from someone who has about 10 different Excel files related to real-life data related to weight, intake, expenditure, and medication levels.
  • candistyx
    Options

but you wont want to lose at the same rate of loss the whole time?
    I don't expect to but I do *want* to lol. Like the aim is to try, but if I genuinely can't keep it up I'll have to re-evaluate.

But that's why I want to lose faster now. If I am losing like 0.1kg every 2 months or something by then I need to lose really fast now to make up for it.