Turkey Bacon is a LIE

Options

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is gross, look at what it is made of! the OP is right, if you look at calories per gram, real bacon is much better, they make the slices thin and full of turkey byproduct so they seem to be less calories. the only ingredient should be pork, think about it!

You may lose weight eating crap like turkey bacon and 100 calorie packs but all those chemicals are still doing harm.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is just another product labeled 'healthier' when it isn't. Like 'light' versions of food that have less fat/calories but twice the sodium and sugar. If you are going to enjoy bacon, enjoy -good- bacon, in moderation and enjoy every morsel.

And the cake is not a lie. It has candy-coated peanut butter pieces shaped like fish, and volatile malted milk impoundments. Yummy.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When I eat regular pork bacon, I feel disgusting...just seeing all of that grease literally disgusts me. Therefore, I don't eat it anymore. I don't eat pork anymore, anyway, except for the occasional Cuban sandwich. Otherwise, no pork for me. When I eat turkey bacon, I'm not disgusted, and I don't end up feeling like crap.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I eat regular bacon...found the calories to be relatively the same as turkey bacon...AND real bacon taste so much better!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is gross, look at what it is made of! the OP is right, if you look at calories per gram, real bacon is much better, they make the slices thin and full of turkey byproduct so they seem to be less calories. the only ingredient should be pork, think about it!

You may lose weight eating crap like turkey bacon and 100 calorie packs but all those chemicals are still doing harm.

You know what if you are going to make a statement. . like that make sure that you are well informed. . . there is organic nitrate/hormone free turkey bacon. . You will find it at Henrys farmers market. . Tastes awesome. . and oh ya doesn't have all the artery clogger of real bacon. . and is lower in calories. . . so what is bad about that. . oh ya nothing. .. Or better yet just don't eat bacon.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

You know what if you are going to make a statement. . like that make sure that you are well informed. . . there is organic nitrate/hormone free turkey bacon. . You will find it at Henrys farmers market. . Tastes awesome. . and oh ya doesn't have all the artery clogger of real bacon. . and is lower in calories. . . so what is bad about that. . oh ya nothing. .. Or better yet just don't eat bacon.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I ate turkey bacon once when I was younger and it made me so sick that I have never tried it again.

Now I eat center cut bacon! A 3 slice serving of Oscar Meyer center cut bacon has 70cal, 4.5g fat (1.5g saturated), 270mg sodium, 7g protein. It's much leaner than the regular stuff, and super yummy! The only downside is that is can be a bit more expensive. I stock up when it goes on sale :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You need to seek out a high quality natural turkey bacon.
    I know of 3 quality brands:
    Applegate Farms
    Wellshire Farms
    Garrett County

They're all very similar in nutritional data and ingredients.

I have 2 slices every single morning with my eggs for 80 calories, 3g fat, and 12g of protein.

As with any food product you buy, ever, read all the labels and compare.

Check it:
    Applegate: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/applegate-farms-organic-uncured-turkey-bacon-5958849
    Garrett: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/garrett-county-turkey-bacon-1-slice-659846
    Wellshire: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/wellshire-peppered-turkey-bacon-9082299

Show me pork bacon with comparable numbers.
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I once read a report about how turkey bacon is most definitely NOT a better choice health-wise than the real thing. It specifically referred to the exhaustive list of additives and higher sodium content as the reason. So you are right. Turkey bacon IS a lie!!

And real bacon is artery clogger. .. it takes the body 4 days to digest red meat and 2 for lean white meat such as chicken.

Real Bacon does not clog arteries. It can be part of a healthy diet. Arteries in the us are clogged with manufactured fats from Vegetables.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I love turkey bacon and I usually get the Oscar Meyer one that is low cals and low in sodium. Not a big fan of regular bacon, but I will do some research on this and what others have posted. If regular bacon is healthier, then I don't mind switching to it.

Oh yeah and I buy Butterball turkey bacon too. Although now I have this (off?) brand cause it was maple and on sale, but it tastes like ham!:laugh:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I once read a report about how turkey bacon is most definitely NOT a better choice health-wise than the real thing. It specifically referred to the exhaustive list of additives and higher sodium content as the reason. So you are right. Turkey bacon IS a lie!!

And real bacon is artery clogger. .. it takes the body 4 days to digest red meat and 2 for lean white meat such as chicken.

Real Bacon does not clog arteries. It can be part of a healthy diet. Arteries in the us are clogged with manufactured fats from Vegetables.

Hmm thanks for the enlightenment (insert severe sarcasm). . . . must come from the farmers association.com. . . Just like the gotta drink milk commercials by the beef association. . . what a joke. . . . .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Best Choice: Give both up. If turkey bacon is worse, then neither are good.
    Untrue. Bacon isn't that bad, consuming LARGE amounts of it is.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I like both regular bacon and turkey bacon. However, I buy all natural turkey bacon- the ingredients are: Turkey, Water, Sea Salt, Celery Powder, Organic Evaporated Cane Syrup, Organic Onion Powder.

Not exactly scary stuff.

I try not to eat a ton of processed meats, so I eat both turkey and pig bacon in moderation.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is the bacon that my husband and I do occasionally, I find it's quite delicious and the cals are acceptable to us.
    When I prepare it, I bake it on a cookie sheet with edges on racks - this keeps it from swimming in the grease and it still crisps up nicely. (also less chance of burning it)
    I don't know how available it is outside of the central states though.

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/products/all-natural-uncured-bacon.html
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Hmm thanks for the enlightenment (insert severe sarcasm). . . . must come from the farmers association.com. . . Just like the gotta drink milk commercials by the beef association. . . what a joke. . . . .

DK is correct.

Jade, you must still be under the impression that high cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. Saturated fat is not the cause of clogged arteries. Please do your research before you try insulting someone.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I ate turkey bacon once when I was younger and it made me so sick that I have never tried it again.

Now I eat center cut bacon! A 3 slice serving of Oscar Meyer center cut bacon has 70cal, 4.5g fat (1.5g saturated), 270mg sodium, 7g protein. It's much leaner than the regular stuff, and super yummy! The only downside is that is can be a bit more expensive. I stock up when it goes on sale :)

I used to eat turkey bacon until I discovered center cut bacon. I love it!!
  • trouserchili
    Options
    DK is correct.

Jade, you must still be under the impression that high cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. Saturated fat is not the cause of clogged arteries. Please do your research before you try insulting someone.

+1
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I look at it this way, turkey's don't have bacon! I refuse to eat faux bacon. If I wanted something made from turkey, I would have it in a more natural form such as turkey breast. Not turkey that is engineered to look and taste like bacon. Obviously it's not the leanest cut of meat, but if I intend to have some bacon, I just go whole hog (pun intended).

Totally agree with you there.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    When I buy bacon, it's low sodium Oscar Mayer - or any others I may find, but not the turkey anymore. You're so right on the label reading!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like both regular bacon and turkey bacon. However, I buy all natural turkey bacon- the ingredients are: Turkey, Water, Sea Salt, Celery Powder, Organic Evaporated Cane Syrup, Organic Onion Powder.

Not exactly scary stuff.

I try not to eat a ton of processed meats, so I eat both turkey and pig bacon in moderation.

Just FYI - celery powder = nitrites, it's just a natural source of them. I hate the "no nitrites/nitrates" claim on so many "natural" products.