Mentally Healthy Foods

Options
NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
So as the debate warred on about natural food vs evil food I couldn't help but think about food that makes me happy or nostalgic and why are we so quick to dismiss it and its benefit in the name of almighty nutritional health?

I don't have any scientific evidence to back my claim. I have to think if I am smiling about something it is good for me, right? Perhaps it is something that just enhances a particular experience like the nachos with the goopy fake cheese at a ballgame or the beloved hot dog.

Before I begin I do believe in making today a happy experience and not dwell too much on the past but in moderation most things are okay imo.

I will start with 2 examples.

I had 2 distant grandmothers. One was physically distant and one was emotionally distant. So as a teen I adopted this older lady who was lonely herself and she became a surrogate. I didn't realize I was doing it at the time cuz I was a teen. In any event, when I visited her she always made me these grilled cheese sandwiches. Now when I make one, especially when I make one like she did, I can be right back there in her kitchen keeping her company.

When I was a teen I was also a camp counselor and like all good camp counselor stories go I had a camp counselor girlfriend. My favorite beverage at the time was Mellow Yellow and my favorite snack was Funyuns. I can't drink Mellow Yellow anymore as it tears me up but I still like a bag of funyuns to take me back to camp.

Nutritious? Maybe a little. Mentally Healthy? You help me decide.

Replies

• NovusDies
    Options
    For me mentally healthy foods, nuts, olives, dill pickles those are my go to feel good snack. But nothing tops a BLT for nostalgia.

Obviously I am not talking about foods good for your brain... A BLT though is perhaps the most perfect sandwich in the world. I don't have any good memories associated since my family never made them.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I can't eat a lot of my nostalgia food due to celiac disease, but there is something to be said for the place of such food in the overall context of one's diet.

That being said, I think I'm one who gets taken back more by the smell of things than by the taste. Nothing ever tastes as good as it used to back then to me. But smells bring me right back.

Yes the experience starts with the nose for sure. When entering nostalgia mode make sure the room is clear of competing smells. I wish you didn't have your disease but most taste happens in the nose anyway.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Last weekend, Mom gave me this recipe that my gramma used to make her in the 50's. She'll be happy when I bring her some this weekend!

"Healthy"? Eh. "Fits in a balanced diet?" Sure. Plus no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives :lol:

Hopefully, 1 square of chocolate = 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate, cuz that's what I'm using.

You can buy unsweetened chocolate at the store. I love old recipe cards. They are so cool. One of my favorites was a card I found for squirrel chili.

That is super nice of you to fix for her. I will be expecting some in the mail.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So as the debate warred on about natural food vs evil food I couldn't help but think about food that makes me happy or nostalgic and why are we so quick to dismiss it and its benefit in the name of almighty nutritional health?

I don't have any scientific evidence to back my claim. I have to think if I am smiling about something it is good for me, right? Perhaps it is something that just enhances a particular experience like the nachos with the goopy fake cheese at a ballgame or the beloved hot dog.

Before I begin I do believe in making today a happy experience and not dwell too much on the past but in moderation most things are okay.

I will start with 2 examples.

I had 2 distant grandmothers. One was physically distant and one was emotionally distant. So as a teen I adopted this older lady who was lonely herself and she became a surrogate. I didn't realize I was doing it at the time cuz I was a teen. In any event, when I visited her she always made me these grilled cheese sandwiches. Now when I make one, especially when I make one like she did, I can be right back there in her kitchen keeping her company.

When I was a teen I was also a camp counselor and like all good camp counselor stories go I had a camp counselor girlfriend. My favorite beverage at the time was Mellow Yellow and my favorite snack was Funyuns. I can't drink Mellow Yellow anymore as it tears me up but I still like a bag of funyuns to take me back to camp.

Nutritious? Maybe a little. Mentally Healthy? You help me decide.

LMAO. Grilled Cheese is the only good thing you mention in this thread and it has to be with tomato soup or it doesn't count. Everything else you mention is either gross or heartburn city. Baseball Park Nachos .. GAG!

Yes indeed grilled cheese and tomato soup! I am not alone in this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Last weekend, Mom gave me this recipe that my gramma used to make her in the 50's. She'll be happy when I bring her some this weekend!

"Healthy"? Eh. "Fits in a balanced diet?" Sure. Plus no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives :lol:

Hopefully, 1 square of chocolate = 1 oz of unsweetened chocolate, cuz that's what I'm using.

You can buy unsweetened chocolate at the store. I love old recipe cards. They are so cool. One of my favorites was a card I found for squirrel chili.

That is super nice of you to fix for her. I will be expecting some in the mail.

:)

Oh, yes, I have unsweetened chocolate. But Baker's is I believe 16 squares in 4 oz now, and Hershey's is 8, so my issue is with the conversion. And if by "chocolate" she meant unsweetened, which I'm sure she did due to the amount of sugar.

Another fun thing about old recipes is that they never list the oven temperature, so I assume she meant 350 degrees F.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I always put kumquats on my Christmas list because my Grandmother always had them at Christmas when I was a kid. I never buy them at any other time of year.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Costco polish dogs?
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches puts me back into my teens