Diet Drink Recommendations

Options

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered that I really like the taste of Coke Zero Sugar. I've always shied away from diet drinks in the past, but I enjoy the low cal sweetness. I tired Diet Pepsi the other day and enjoyed it as well.

However, I am pretty sensitive to caffeine and if I drink it after noon or so, it tends to keep me up and I get the shakes if I get more than about 1 coffee and 2 sodas cans per day.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for tasty low calorie "diet" sodas that are artificially sweetened as I'm particularly looking for the sweetness that are also caffeine free? Maybe something along the lines of Coke Zero in terms of flavor though I'd give fruity flavors a try as well.

For whatever reason I don't seem to be particularly fond of Diet Coke, but it's possible it's a mindset thing as it's been around forever and the ingredient list looks an awful lot like Coke Zero. Call me weird...

What's your favorites?

I must be weird as well, I don't care much for Diet Coke either, I prefer diet Pepsi.

Have you tried the water flavor packets? There are tons of flavors. My favorite is raspberry lemonade. I think there is about 2 calories per serving.

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    diet cranberry and vodka :D:D
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I make my own diet drink.

Seltzer water, lemon juice concentrate, and stevia extract (like Trulia)

It's a homemade Diet Sprite.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    They have caffeine free diet coke that I like.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My favorite caffeine-free diet sodas - probably, but not necessarily, in order:

Polar Diet Orange Dry
    Fresca (regular)
    Diet 7-Up (regular or cherry)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I've mixed in the low cal Gatorade along with my Diet Pepsi. I like Glacier Cherry and the Raspberry Lemonade.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • minimelyn
    minimelyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're sensitive to caffeine I would suggest sticking with Coke Zero as Diet Coke's (regular, not caffeine-free version) has a higher dosage level.

I tend to stick to Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi! I enjoy sparkling water too-- you can add different flavors to it :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    My favorite caffeine-free diet sodas - probably, but not necessarily, in order:

Polar Diet Orange Dry
    Fresca (regular)
    Diet 7-Up (regular or cherry)

OMG, same! Did we just become best friends?
  • rosiegabrielli
    rosiegabrielli Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    These ICE brand zero calorie drinks r really good and have tons of flavors. I also like that it’s a bottle so I don’t have to drink it all in one sitting and I fill it with water after to make sure I’m hydrating too

uaxv3obdo7sh.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just got all hipster and started drinking the la croix and perrier.
    i love the 10 calorie series of sodas like a&w
    i've also found that almost all caffeine sodas have diet caffeine free. if you are sensitive, i've googled a list of which sodas have the most caffeine
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

Thanks. But I actually went to school for nutrition and I'm going to go with what I learned there and actual scientific studies that I've read over some random post on a message board.

That said, I do sometimes stick with the devil I know, but it's not a daily dietary choice that I choose to make.
    Something tells me you didn't check out that post as it is very scientific ;) The guy who wrote it has a PhD in microbiology and is a research scientist. What are the urls to the scientific studies you have read (human studies not rat/ mouse studies that use way more aspartame than anyone would ever ingest in a day) that show that aspartame is dangerous?

I'm not going to take over the OP with a sidebar on the dangers of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners. For every study that that gentleman and others in the post linked, I'd guarantee there is another one out there to contradict it. If you care to learn more, you are free to google or pick up a scientific journal on your own. I have formulated an opinion all on my own by researching and I don't need to justify or prove it to anyone else.

Why are you assuming that I haven't researched it? I have done tons of reading and have come to a different conclusion than you have. You don't have to justify your opinion if you don't want to but also making claims that something is dangerous without backing it up isn't that helpful.

All I said was "while it might not be the best thing for you because it contains aspartame". I never used the word "dangerous". But if you want links, here you go. Do with them as you please, I will not be commenting in this post again. I have a very different view on health and nutrition than the majority of this board, and quite frankly, just don't have it in me to argue with people.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130529190728.htm

Here's one about sucralose (Splenda): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291

I'm the OP and would like to get some of the "sciency" folks on here to respond to these links and maybe break them down for us. I'm not the least bit concerned about artificial sweeteners, but some others might read this thread and be confused.

On another note, I always find it interesting that someone will comment on a thread with a completely inappropriate and frankly rude response and then when called out on it refuse to engage in discussing the merits or accuracy of their statement.

They want to impose their views on others, but don't actually want to go out on a limb and defend their assertions when challenged to do so.

It always ends up feeling like a superiority thing to me (I'm better because I don't do this stuff like you do), which isn't helpful at all. And why hang out in a community you fundamentally disagree with? That would be like an atheist standing in the parking lot of a church and telling everyone walking out what they're doing wrong. It's just weird...

@Aaron_K123
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    They have caffeine free diet coke that I like. [/quotei tried it today at lunch and it was pretty good. Not as good as Cokw Zero IMO but good enough.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    They have caffeine free diet coke that I like. [/quotei tried it today at lunch and it was pretty good. Not as good as Cokw Zero IMO but good enough.

I was on my phone and messed this entire response up. Sorry for that.