Db Weight

I am skinny beginner guy. How much weight I should use in db to gain muscalur mass.

«1

Replies

  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited May 2018
    Eddie2088 wrote: »
    I am skinny beginner guy. How much weight I should use in db to gain muscalur mass.
    
    

    As much as you can lift comfortably while following a proven program and eating in a surplus. Check out the Gaining Weight forum on here.

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    You'll have a difficult time building musculale mass just using dumbbells.

    If you don't have access to a gym w/free weights, they're better than nothing but, if that' all you've got, I'd suggest you focus on general fitness rather than muscle growth, in order to avoid the frustration that can come from having unrealistic expectations

    It depends on to what dumbbells the OP has access. I'm not talking 2 lb ones, but the ones in my gym go up to 100 lb each.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,295 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do you guys who take exception to my comment really believe you can build OVERALL muscle mass just using dumbbells?

    If so, that's nonsense and you will be doing any beginner (like the OP) a disservice by telling him that he can do so.

    Yeah, you can do bro-curls, flys, lunges and overhead presses w/dumbbells BUT have you ever seen anyone doing a deadlift or squat with them? NOT!

    And have you ever tried to "bench" a pair of 100# dumbbells as opposed to a 45# barbell loaded w/155# of plates?

    Pretty difficult for most people to bench a pair of 100#ers w/o spotters on each side to help get the dumbbells up to press position.

    IMO, you can only build mass by (at a minimum) lifting the heavy weight -- a lot heavier than you can w/dumbbells -- (combined w/a caloric surplus) using barbells and plates (which is what I meant by "free weights) doing the basic time-tested heavy compound lifts -- most notably the DL, SQT and BP.

    That's certainly all a beginner needs to do and the best route for such a person would be to just start w/a beginning barbell program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (which only add OHP, Rows or PCs into the mix).

    As an accessory lift, using dumbbells can be helpful to work develop specific body parts, like the arms, chest and maybe the calves and quads (or for Farmer's walks, suitcase or overhead carries) but for overall muscular development nothing is better IMO than a barbell and plates.

    If you disagree, go for it but I still think you'll have a hard time developing any mass by using dumbbells alone and no beginner should be encouraged to attempt do so.

    Has it ever occurred to you that not everybody who strength trains is a powerlifter?

    And you really, actually believe that it's absolutely impossible to build any muscle mass using dumbbells?

    Agreed. Personally, I use a combination of barbell, dumbbells, and cable machines, but as long as you're eating in a surplus and lifting with progressive overload, I'm pretty sure muscle gains are possible.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do you guys who take exception to my comment really believe you can build OVERALL muscle mass just using dumbbells?

    If so, that's nonsense and you will be doing any beginner (like the OP) a disservice by telling him that he can do so.

    Yeah, you can do bro-curls, flys, lunges and overhead presses w/dumbbells BUT have you ever seen anyone doing a deadlift or squat with them? NOT!

    And have you ever tried to "bench" a pair of 100# dumbbells as opposed to a 45# barbell loaded w/155# of plates?

    Pretty difficult for most people to bench a pair of 100#ers w/o spotters on each side to help get the dumbbells up to press position.

    IMO, you can only build mass by (at a minimum) lifting the heavy weight -- a lot heavier than you can w/dumbbells -- (combined w/a caloric surplus) using barbells and plates (which is what I meant by "free weights) doing the basic time-tested heavy compound lifts -- most notably the DL, SQT and BP.

    That's certainly all a beginner needs to do and the best route for such a person would be to just start w/a beginning barbell program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (which only add OHP, Rows or PCs into the mix).

    As an accessory lift, using dumbbells can be helpful to work develop specific body parts, like the arms, chest and maybe the calves and quads (or for Farmer's walks, suitcase or overhead carries) but for overall muscular development nothing is better IMO than a barbell and plates.

    If you disagree, go for it but I still think you'll have a hard time developing any mass by using dumbbells alone and no beginner should be encouraged to attempt do so.

    I disagree with most of this except the part about recommending a beginner to use Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Those are good programs for beginners because there is quite a bit of evidence that this novice progression scheme initially works well for both strength and hypertrophy. They are strength programs though, and a hypertrophy-focused person should move onto something else after a few months. Bars and plates are good tools because they are efficient and easy to use, but they are not the only tools you can use for adding mass. Even bodyweight/calisthenics bodybuilding is a thing, and people have built some pretty impressive physiques this way. Hypertrophy is driven by volume primarily. Heavy weights not required.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,622 Member
    Eddie2088 wrote: »
    I am skinny beginner guy. How much weight I should use in db to gain muscalur mass.
    
    

    As much as you can lift comfortably while following a proven program

    Agreed.


    As to the other tangent... certainly lifts will be limited by the lack of a barbell and/or rack/cage. But you can certainly progress just fine and build strength and muscle with dumbbells.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2018
    richln wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do you guys who take exception to my comment really believe you can build OVERALL muscle mass just using dumbbells?

    If so, that's nonsense and you will be doing any beginner (like the OP) a disservice by telling him that he can do so.

    Yes, and it's not nonsense. It's actually very basic fact.
    BUT have you ever seen anyone doing a deadlift or squat with them? NOT!

    Yes - they're sometimes programmed by coaches to get their athletes more volume (aka: mass gainers). Of course, someone simply looking to build mass may never deadlift or squat in the first place. They're great movements, but not actually necessary.
    And have you ever tried to "bench" a pair of 100# dumbbells as opposed to a 45# barbell loaded w/155# of plates?

    Yes. For reps. I wouldn't advise someone to start out with that weight. And I mean either. Starting out at 200 lb barbell bench press would be a good way for a beginner to get hurt.
    Pretty difficult for most people to bench a pair of 100#ers w/o spotters on each side to help get the dumbbells up to press position.

    Yeah, but you'd work up that weight, so it likely wouldn't be nearly as much of a big deal. Additionally, one might not ever need to get to that weight anyway, since volume can be manipulated many other ways.
    IMO, you can only build mass by (at a minimum) lifting the heavy weight -- a lot heavier than you can w/dumbbells

    That, quite frankly, is utter nonsense.
    That's certainly all a beginner needs to do and the best route for such a person would be to just start w/a beginning barbell program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (which only add OHP, Rows or PCs into the mix).

    Yes, SS and SL are good beginner programs. But they're not the only good beginner programs.


    Hey Mr. Buzzkill. I was just feeling special because I deadlift dumbbells and I can bench hundo's with no spotters and no dropping like a big boy. But now I feel less special. Thanks.

    If it makes you feel any better, I haven't done DB benching with 100s in a while - and when I did, I'm pretty sure I dropped them when I was done.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,736 Member
    edited May 2018
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Pretty difficult for most people to bench a pair of 100#ers w/o spotters on each side to help get the dumbbells up to press position.
    TR0berts wrote: »

    Yeah, but you'd work up that weight, so it likely wouldn't be nearly as much of a big deal. Additionally, one might not ever need to get to that weight anyway, since volume can be manipulated many other ways.



    I don't know that it's any harder for someone who's been progressing appropriately to get 100# or 120 or 140's into position than to get 35s or 55s into position. Once you've learned the correct technique, it's just technique.

    And the half deadlift necessary to get the hundo from the floor to the start position probably works a lot more useful and interesting accessory muscles than doing the 200 lb bar.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,736 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Do you guys who take exception to my comment really believe you can build OVERALL muscle mass just using dumbbells?

    If so, that's nonsense and you will be doing any beginner (like the OP) a disservice by telling him that he can do so.

    Yes, and it's not nonsense. It's actually very basic fact.
    BUT have you ever seen anyone doing a deadlift or squat with them? NOT!

    Yes - they're sometimes programmed by coaches to get their athletes more volume (aka: mass gainers). Of course, someone simply looking to build mass may never deadlift or squat in the first place. They're great movements, but not actually necessary.
    And have you ever tried to "bench" a pair of 100# dumbbells as opposed to a 45# barbell loaded w/155# of plates?

    Yes. For reps. I wouldn't advise someone to start out with that weight. And I mean either. Starting out at 200 lb barbell bench press would be a good way for a beginner to get hurt.
    Pretty difficult for most people to bench a pair of 100#ers w/o spotters on each side to help get the dumbbells up to press position.

    Yeah, but you'd work up that weight, so it likely wouldn't be nearly as much of a big deal. Additionally, one might not ever need to get to that weight anyway, since volume can be manipulated many other ways.
    IMO, you can only build mass by (at a minimum) lifting the heavy weight -- a lot heavier than you can w/dumbbells

    That, quite frankly, is utter nonsense.
    That's certainly all a beginner needs to do and the best route for such a person would be to just start w/a beginning barbell program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (which only add OHP, Rows or PCs into the mix).

    Yes, SS and SL are good beginner programs. But they're not the only good beginner programs.


    Hey Mr. Buzzkill. I was just feeling special because I deadlift dumbbells and I can bench hundo's with no spotters and no dropping like a big boy. But now I feel less special. Thanks.

    If it makes you feel any better, I haven't done DB benching with 100s in a while - and when I did, I'm pretty sure I dropped them when I was done.

    Dropped from where though is the question.