Cycling, bikes, indoor, outdoor etc.

Options

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »
    h1udd wrote: »
    I wish it could help me lose weight ... I mostly cycle for commuting, but also throw in Mountain biking in to the mix, the odd road cycle and indoor training (Zwift / Fulgaz) on alternate days of the week

since taking it up, by bank ballance has reduced ... the amount of space in my garage has reduced (n+1) ... but it had no effect on my weight .... that said though I am scared if I stop I will put on weight !

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20180124-Eating-on-the-bike-Struggling-with-Cycling-Weight-Loss-0

Not that you may be doing any of that. I go on group rides and enjoy the social aspect of the ride, we always finish at a café for coffee. Just need to keep the food in check if you are looking to lose weight.

My family bought me a new bike as a Christmas/Retirement gift, with the directive, "Go Forth and Get Healthy, Ride Your Butt Off (as in lose weight)!"

I've been dutifully, and happily, doing that. 23 lbs so far this year. It's a chip-away process, and takes dietary mgmt (hence MFP) as well. I've been doing solo rides in the 10-15 mile range, thinking I need to get up to some sort of decent shape before joining others. Until this week, that is, when I joined a weekly no-drop, easy-pace evening group for a 10-miler.

Being solo, I've thus far this year avoided social eating/coffee/etc. contending against my weight loss. This being an evening group, the leaders suggested a nearby Italian nosh-or-dinner, which I (and most of the others) declined, all of us having had something in the mid-afternoon prior to the ride (not knowing what to expect). Going forward, it will be interesting to see what some social coffee/snacking will do to my weight loss trajectory. I think being diligent with my MFP logging, I'll have the tools to include some social snacking along with the riding. If not, then there's tacking on a few solo miles on my own rides to compensate. I'm not stressing too much regarding this.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Going forward, it will be interesting to see what some social coffee/snacking will do to my weight loss trajectory. I think being diligent with my MFP logging, I'll have the tools to include some social snacking along with the riding. If not, then there's tacking on a few solo miles on my own rides to compensate. I'm not stressing too much regarding this.

Just compensate, I skip part of my breakfast before the ride and have a croissant afterwards with the coffee.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    @sijomial - what app/utility is that that overlays the grade, speed, etc over the video?

I have a cyclic fly12 camera, it overlays that info in conjunction with strava.
  • iancity
    iancity Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love cycling - its the only source of exercise I get now after bad knees put a stop to the football/cricket I used to do.
    I know you cant out run (out cycle?) a bad diet but its nice to go out for an evening ride and see, because of the exercise, you have enough calories left for that treat :-)
    Turn 50 in 3 weeks and planning on going out that morning (with 3 mates) to do 50 miles, which will be the longest I have done so far and seems quite apt ..........
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My wife got me a full suspension mountain bike this year and I have been loving getting out at pushing my limits on it. Went clipless this week and added a entire new feeling to biking.

mrrlzu71rgvt.jpg

Makes a big difference, though when you get on a bike without clipless it feels all weird. Watch out for the first clip stack. I went a couple of months before i had two in the same week.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Makes a big difference, though when you get on a bike without clipless it feels all weird. Watch out for the first clip stack. I went a couple of months before i had two in the same week. [/quote]

Yeah i went riding at a very technical bike park and wrecked twice on the first run. Got more comfortable with each lap so we will see how it goes. Headed to another bike park tomorrow with some double black trails and jumps so we will see if it gets better this time around.

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »
    My wife got me a full suspension mountain bike this year and I have been loving getting out at pushing my limits on it. Went clipless this week and added a entire new feeling to biking.

mrrlzu71rgvt.jpg

Makes a big difference, though when you get on a bike without clipless it feels all weird. Watch out for the first clip stack. I went a couple of months before i had two in the same week.

Yeah i went riding at a very technical bike park and wrecked twice on the first run. Got more comfortable with each lap so we will see how it goes. Headed to another bike park tomorrow with some double black trails and jumps so we will see if it gets better this time around.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't totally remember what it feels like to bike without clipless pedals anymore. That said, I went on my first ride outside with my new shoes today and it brought back memories of when I first started using clipless pedals. They are road shoes and I'm using SPD (not SL) cleats. The idea on my end being, "well these shoes can take 2 bolt and 3 bolt cleats and I might get a pedal based power meter..." That and I needed new shoes to begin with because the ratchet system on the old ones got broken when I crashed a few months ago.

I didn't fall but there were lots of times at lights when it took multiple times to clip in which was awkward at times. I'm waffling on whether or not to get mountain bike shoes and if money grew on trees I would. That said, I'll probably stick it out because it will get better.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    z4355ktubz6q.jpeg

I am a huge mountain biker. Personally I do not think you can burn more calories than mountain biking. Plus, riding through the trees, seeking those wonderful vantage points, avoiding all the sounds of traffic and infrastructure, mountain biking is it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    z4355ktubz6q.jpeg

I am a huge mountain biker. Personally I do not think you can burn more calories than mountain biking. Plus, riding through the trees, seeking those wonderful vantage points, avoiding all the sounds of traffic and infrastructure, mountain biking is it.

Man that's beautiful.... just don't get views like that on the prairies :/
  • Barflyrocks
    Barflyrocks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My old bike (still have it and ride it on certain tracks:

4inchx3qo9ec.jpg

New ride:

8uhqie40qe07.jpg

• Resistive
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Resistive wrote: »
    z4355ktubz6q.jpeg

Man that's beautiful.... just don't get views like that on the prairies :/

Where in the prairies are you?
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So speaking of calories burned mountain biking, what kind of tracker do you all use? I use Strava because that's what all my friends use but I think that assumes you are road riding not mountain biking. If I use the minutes ridden and put it in MFP using the one called "Bicycling, BMX or Mountain" it gives me nearly double the calories burned. Endomondo also has an option for mountain biking which is more than Strava.

I really need to track since I have such a small margin to lose weight. I'm a woman, older and short...the deadly combination for weight loss...lol!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    So speaking of calories burned mountain biking, what kind of tracker do you all use? I use Strava because that's what all my friends use but I think that assumes you are road riding not mountain biking. If I use the minutes ridden and put it in MFP using the one called "Bicycling, BMX or Mountain" it gives me nearly double the calories burned. Endomondo also has an option for mountain biking which is more than Strava.

I really need to track since I have such a small margin to lose weight. I'm a woman, older and short...the deadly combination for weight loss...lol!

I use a garmin, but even those aren't guaranteed to be accurate... and different garmins give different calorie burns during the same workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

I've found that both Strava & MFP overestimate calories burned cycling.

My Garmin is pretty spot on for running but I found it was even high for cycling when I got a power meter last year......hard to argue with Watts...so if you're really interested in accuracy a power meter is the way to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My road bike is in the shop getting a major overhaul...full tune up, but I also need a new chain, new cassette, and new cables. I won't get it back until Thursday or Friday, so this week kinda sucks. I have a CX bike as well, but it's un-rideable at the moment.
  • justanaverageguyxyz
    justanaverageguyxyz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I wish it could help me lose weight ... I mostly cycle for commuting, but also throw in Mountain biking in to the mix, the odd road cycle and indoor training (Zwift / Fulgaz) on alternate days of the week

since taking it up, by bank ballance has reduced ... the amount of space in my garage has reduced (n+1) ... but it had no effect on my weight .... that said though I am scared if I stop I will put on weight !

I have been riding for 8+ years from commuting to road, to dirt to jumping to circuit velodrome work and it never helped me weight wise even with a balanced maintained diet and a protein shake, losing weight the best results I can give you is for how I dropped from 147 to 113 in just under 4 months give this blog that I write a read www.justanaverageguy.xyz

Does anyone have suggestions for securing bikes in a garage? Last year I put my mountain bike in my basement but this year with my 3 high dollar bikes and my son's pricey mountain bike, I just don't have the room. My husband is infamous for leaving the garage door open and we've had an old bike stolen several years ago.

I'd like to figure out a way to store them so I can get to them easily but keep them at least secure enough for a thief to reconsider. I have a full single car bay in my garage I can work with.

eta...preferably expandable for n+1 :D

TIA

We use these guys https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-kryptonite-stronghold-ground-anchor-19280/ - Tough as bricks to be honest and I personally love the Kryptonite products never been able to fault these guys..
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    We use these guys https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-kryptonite-stronghold-ground-anchor-19280/ - Tough as bricks to be honest and I personally love the Kryptonite products never been able to fault these guys..

Those look fantastic! Thanks!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So speaking of calories burned mountain biking, what kind of tracker do you all use? ...

I've been making - as we all do - gradual gear investments since the family bought me the Christmas/Retirement bike. My "its-been-30-years-since-i-rode" mind had me initially thinking spreadsheets and a cycle computer as in the old days, but I've been mulling various options since January as I get in my rides. Wireless computers were not a thing in my previous riding life, and as a radio ham, I understand the interference situation with USB lights and other things crowding the handlebars, so I've been holding off on more advanced tech for now.

I've been using "Ride With GPS" since February in preference to Strava, MapMyRide, etc. I like it for the basic tracking/sharing functions, and without all the KOM stuff. If you're not familiar with it, there's a mobile phone GPS tracker app with a website ecosystem behind it. Pretty simple actually. But with Father's Day and a mid-summer birthday coming up, I'm also hinting around about other fitness trackers, Garmin, etc.

We sail, and are predisposed to Garmin products in general. As my biking range gradually increases, there will be a point where my mobile phone battery life will become a concern and I might need an alternative/supplement to "Ride With GPS."

Oh, I did use, for a little while, something called "Bike Computer" (for Android, on play.google.com). It had an interesting feature for this returning-to-cycling older guy - an auto SMS feature for a detected bike accident to a designated emergency contact. It synced to Strava also.
  • Resistive
    Options

My Garmin and Strava are synced. My calories burned are off of my heart rate, my weight, and length of exercise. I never trust the systems and their “pre-calculated” numbers. I find this to be the most accurate way of monitoring calories burned.