Can't understand it

Options
1235»

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    The problem with only weighing yourself once a month is that a single anomalous reading (water retention from salt or a workout, a full bowel, your body going crazy and just having a ‘heavy’ day) can throw out all your ideas of how much progress you’ve made.

Say one month you happen to be slightly dehydrated when you weigh yourself, and so the scale reads a pound lighter than it should. Then the next month your menstrual cycle is running slightly short and you’ve put on three pounds of water preparation in preparation for TOM. You might have lost four pounds between those readings, but you would think you were maintaining!

I weigh daily for that reason, but many people seem perfectly happy with weekly.

I don't think you read all the thread I weigh at home daily and use a weight trending app I weigh once a month at the chemist to a: check my scales are still accurate b: check my BMI and c: so I have a physical print out of my weight :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You can take it as a given that I am using BMI to approximate levels of fat reserves. So the random you who wants to remind me that BMI does not fairly represent you, please adjust the numbers in your mind so that they are more appropriate for you! Thank you!

For anyone below, say a BMI 28 level of fat, 1.2lbs a week is actually quite substantial unless their TDEE is in the 3000 Cal a day + range.

Weighing yourself at the chemist introduces a whole slew of variables, unless you make it to the chemist naked after hitting the washroom and before eating or drinking every morning at about the same time and you can also guarantee that the chemist's scales are calibrated/reset the same every day...

OVER TIME YOU WILL STILL SEE YOUR TREND.

But not, if you get upset at "set-backs" that may well last weeks as your weight reduces, especially with the uncertainties in your measurements. Hence the reference to @WinoGelato 's post above!

You may also want to read Aaron's post about the car with the two tanks and the different fuels! It isn't that bad of an analogy!

Take care.

I only weigh myself once a month at the chemist and I always go before eating/drinking anything in the same clothes. My BMI is 25.1 Fitbit says my average calories burned are between 2300-2500 depending on the day

the thing with fitbits and many other devices is the calories burned also includes your BMR. not just exercise calories burned. not sure of the newest fitbits
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    The problem with only weighing yourself once a month is that a single anomalous reading (water retention from salt or a workout, a full bowel, your body going crazy and just having a ‘heavy’ day) can throw out all your ideas of how much progress you’ve made.

Say one month you happen to be slightly dehydrated when you weigh yourself, and so the scale reads a pound lighter than it should. Then the next month your menstrual cycle is running slightly short and you’ve put on three pounds of water preparation in preparation for TOM. You might have lost four pounds between those readings, but you would think you were maintaining!

I weigh daily for that reason, but many people seem perfectly happy with weekly.

I don't think you read all the thread I weigh at home daily and use a weight trending app I weigh once a month at the chemist to a: check my scales are still accurate b: check my BMI and c: so I have a physical print out of my weight :)

your scale and the chemists scale can vary. my scale and the drs scale are a few lbs different on a good day most of the time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You can take it as a given that I am using BMI to approximate levels of fat reserves. So the random you who wants to remind me that BMI does not fairly represent you, please adjust the numbers in your mind so that they are more appropriate for you! Thank you!

For anyone below, say a BMI 28 level of fat, 1.2lbs a week is actually quite substantial unless their TDEE is in the 3000 Cal a day + range.

Weighing yourself at the chemist introduces a whole slew of variables, unless you make it to the chemist naked after hitting the washroom and before eating or drinking every morning at about the same time and you can also guarantee that the chemist's scales are calibrated/reset the same every day...

But not, if you get upset at "set-backs" that may well last weeks as your weight reduces, especially with the uncertainties in your measurements. Hence the reference to @WinoGelato 's post above!

You may also want to read Aaron's post about the car with the two tanks and the different fuels! It isn't that bad of an analogy!

Take care.

I only weigh myself once a month at the chemist and I always go before eating/drinking anything in the same clothes. My BMI is 25.1 Fitbit says my average calories burned are between 2300-2500 depending on the day

the thing with fitbits and many other devices is the calories burned also includes your BMR. not just exercise calories burned. not sure of the newest fitbits

They keep the same method - required in order to fully account for what it things are all the daily burn calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Take care.

And? It's showing your TDEE. That's what it's supposed to show.

When you sync your Fitbit to MFP, then you get an adjustment that only shows the burn. They've coded everything to do that. If people would join the Fitbit group and read everything, there wouldn't be this confusion.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Take care.

When you sync your Fitbit to MFP, then you get an adjustment that only shows the burn. They've coded everything to do that. If people would join the Fitbit group and read everything, there wouldn't be this confusion.

I know that but some people here have THOUGHT that what the fitbit shows is exercise calories only. some people dont know that it shows TDEE(that their BMR is included in that..I have had my fitbit for 3 years now so I know how it works. but some people dont understand that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Take care.

I know that but some people here have THOUGHT that what the fitbit shows is exercise calories only. some people dont know that it shows TDEE(that their BMR is included in that..I have had my fitbit for 3 years now so I know how it works. but some people dont understand that.

Very true.
    And after setting up a Garmin Connect sync last week, was reminded of just what info is provided through web account setup - enough to understand.
    But - I've never done App inited setup to see if they provide close to the same info that could help to understand.

Then again - you have the difference between available info, and what is actually read to understand by many (which isn't much sadly - all this info available, little used).