Healthy saturated fats!!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The benefits are amazing! Simply a tbsp of virgin olive oil or all natural PB with 3 of your meals a day can control/lower cholesterol, raise HDL and lower LDL. Clean your lipid panel, etc!
    Organic cage free eggs, the yours are rich in saturated fats and so good for you
    Do these things and the outcome of overall health leads to weight loss and weight control. :) hope this into helped!!!
    I can just more options if needed!!

it may lower cholesterol and raise HDL /lower LDL in many people. but with people Like me who have familial hypercholesterolemia,we have to watch our fats(all fats) and cholesterol. since I now eat low fat,low cholesterol and high fiber along with taking a medication my cholesterol is now in the normal numbers(well was,I have to get tested again wed.)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    "The SFA stearic acid was associated with increased CRC risk (ORSA = 1.17, 95% CI: 1.01-1.35, P = 0.041)."

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28829991

I am not quite ready to jump on the saturated fat is good bandwagon.
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just a little tip. Learn which foods contain saturated fats and which contain polysaturated and monosaturated fats first. Then at least one part of your statement would have truth.

It's polyUNsaturated/monoUNsaturated fats. Sorry I had to correct this.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Very little saturated fat in either olive oil or peanut butter.

Nutrition Facts
    Olive oil
    Amount Per 1 tablespoon (13.5 g)
    Calories 119
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 14 g 21%
    Saturated fat 1.9 g 9%
    Polyunsaturated fat 1.4 g
    Monounsaturated fat 10 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 0 mg 0%
    Potassium 0 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 0 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 0 g 0%
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The benefits are amazing! Simply a tbsp of virgin olive oil

Stopped reading there. You might want to educate yourself on which fats are saturated before trying to "educate" others

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just a little tip. Learn which foods contain saturated fats and which contain polysaturated and monosaturated fats first. Then at least one part of your statement would have truth.

Shall I list them for you ?

Yeah, FYI olive oil is not a saturated fat, so you might want to give this one some thought :neutral:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/extra-virgin-olive-oil#section2
    Nutrient Composition of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

This is the nutrient content of 100 grams of olive oil (1):

Saturated fat: 13.8%.
    Monounsaturated fat: 73% (most of it the 18 carbon long oleic acid).
    Omega-6: 9.7%.
    Omega-3: 0.76%.
    "
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    rkayg2845 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Do you have some peer reviewed research supporting how saturated fats lead to better health lead to weight loss? Or are you perhaps a research scientist with something published I could look for?

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-saturated-fat
    Wrapping Up
    A diet that will help get you leaner, help get you healthier, and provide you with much-needed energy to pound through tough workouts? All thanks to healthy amounts of saturated fat in the diet.

References:
    Volek, JS. Testosterone and cortisol in relationship to dietary nutrients and resistance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, Jan, 1999, 82
    Garg, M L, Federation Of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Journal, 1988, 2:4, "Meeting Abstracts,"American Oil Chemists Society Proceedings, May 1998, 7, Chicago, Il.
    Emken EA, Dietary linoleic acid acid influences desaturation and acylation of deuterium-labeled linoleic and linolenic acids in young adult males. Biochemical Biophysical Acta, Aug 4, 1994; 1213 (3) 277-278
    Kabara, J J, The Pharmacological Effects Of Lipids, The American Oil Chemists Society, Champaign, IL, 1978, 1-14. Cohen, L A, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 1986, 77:43
    Cha, Y S and D S Sachan, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Aug 1994 13 (4): 338-43, Nanji, A A, Gastroenterology, Aug 1995, 109 (2) 547-54
    USDA National Database Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.
    Conversations and mentorship with Dr Eric Serrano
    Conversations and interviews with Chris Masterjohn

Those aren’t peer-reviewed scientific studies. I’ll listen to the “veterans” here rather than some random guy that thinks he knows what he’s talking about.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but...

How does one get a paper published in Journal of Applied Physiology, FASEB, Biochemical Biophysical Acta, Journal of the National Cancer Institute or Journal of the American College of Nutrition without peer review?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Edited because your comment was not about the content of the studies but only about whether they had been peer reviewed or not.