Anyone here 60 yo?

Options
0ysterboy
0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
Actually I'm not yet 60 (turned 59 in March). I'm a recovering triathlete and am now rethinking my approach to exercise (working on diet too). I was wondering if there is a forum here for older athletes?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I'm not 60, hope 64 is OK :)
    Welcome to the forums.

You will find there are people of a similar age, and fitness level, sprinkled throuout the various sub-forums, as well as a few threads dedicated to those over 50.

Not sure if there is one dedicated to older athletes though. I am more of a spectathlete, who reluctantly goes to the gym.

Cheers, h.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 in March. Not an athlete though.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    If I make it to the middle of August I'll be 62. I'm very active but haven't been an "athlete" in many years.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The term "Athlete" is more of a term-of-art than a reflection on my talent level :). Mostly I use it to describe my 6-7 days/week workout routine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    63 and in the best shape of my life, but nowhere near being an "athlete". I do think there's a tri forum on here. Welcome!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Don't know if there is a forum for older athletes, but there is an active thread titled "40&, Where the Cool Kids Are" under the "General Health and Diet" section, that is visited by a fair number of active folks from 40 years old on up.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Over 60, not an "athelete," but working hard to peddle my butt off (literally, 23lbs so far this year).
  • goldpark179
    goldpark179 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 66 and here to get fitter and lose the flab!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    I'm 62, mostly a rower (on water when possible, machine when necessary) but do other active things (spin, bike, lift, etc.). Weight loss happened at 59-60, after a dozen years as an obese masters athlete.

There's this group, not super high traffic, but nice folks:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    63 here. I swim, do acqua-gym, gym stuff, yoga, stretching and a lot of walking. I'm sure you'll find like-minded friends around. There are many interesting "older" folks on here, just follow the forums for awhile.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    67 here.

I'd say I'm athletic for my age and level of fitness but not an athelete.

Lots of seniors on MFP but I don't think many of them are atheletes either. There are a couple 50-60+ social groups but the ones I've looked into were pretty inactive.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    The term "Athlete" is more of a term-of-art than a reflection on my talent level :). Mostly I use it to describe my 6-7 days/week workout routine.

Athlete, noun: A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.
    (Dictionary.com)

I think there are quite a few athletes here, including "senior" ones. More people should give themselves the credit for working hard at a physical skill, with the objective of continuously improving, and claim the label. JMO.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 in December. Active in outdoor sports: running, cycling, golf, kayaking, hiking and some pool swimming.
    Do I consider myself an athlete? Certainly - I will claim the label @AnnPT77 !
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    67 here. I consider myself a an athlete - I cycle 60 - 70 miles on a fairly regular basis, and started running last year (up to 10 k now) :)
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Over 60, not an "athelete," but working hard to peddle my butt off (literally, 23lbs so far this year).

That was "pedaling" not peddling, which would be illegal, I guess, LOL. Plus considering mine, unprofitable.

In addition to cycling, am awaiting starting of summer season with pool club opening. To supplement actual bike riding through the winter, I've been hitting the gym. 40 years of sitting behind a computer - I'm now retired and working to regain my health. But wouldn't say, "athelete," per se. "Committed to being healthy" is more like it.
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and compete in Maters Track and Field. It's amazing how athletic folks my age and older can be. I do have more problems with injury due to less flexibility and I have less stamina. But even after tearing my hamstring in March, I just ran 2 miles outdoors on hills without any pain and I'm getting my cardio fitness back slowly, but surely. I do feel I'm healthier than many women my age due to exercise and the blessing of good genes (so far)!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    62 here, why "recovering" triathlete? Triathlon is an awesome sport, especially for us geezers as it forces us to cross train. Admittedly I have no delusions of doing Kona (I'll probably never do a full Iron).....
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    63. Just noticed that those little aches and pains stay around a lot longer than they used to. ;-)
  • jajosa56
    jajosa56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 58yrs. Type 1 diabetic for 40 yrs. Just joined on here. Have gained weight....trying 1200 calorie and low carb diet to loose some weight. Any advice for older ppl abd weight loss?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    jajosa56 wrote: »
    Im 58yrs. Type 1 diabetic for 40 yrs. Just joined on here. Have gained weight....trying 1200 calorie and low carb diet to loose some weight. Any advice for older ppl abd weight loss?

It's just like younger people weight loss, except that some of us have lower calorie requirements (a smaller budget) when we're older, which kinda stinks.

The process is identical though: Stick to a moderate calorie deficit the overwhelming majority of days, get exercise you find fun and energizing, and apply extreme patience. ;)

The posts in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of each MFP forum topic are very, very helpful - those from the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness, and Diet" topics are a good place to start. (You'll sometimes see these "Most Helpful Posts" called "stickies" because they stick around.)

Best wishes.