Name any diet gimmicks or fads you have ever tried.:)

Options

Replies

• NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    And almost bought the raspberry ketones when Dr.Oz had me convinced. Lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Some weird plan my mother came up with when I was 13. I wasn't allowed to eat anything "fattening"
    The Cambridge Diet
    Nutri System
    Sugar Busters
    Paleo before Cordain even wrote a book
    Atkins
    Suzanne Somers food combining (what idiocy that was)
    Raw Vegan

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    AdvoCare...dumped a bunch of money with the "cleanse" and discovered I was allergic...hives and swollen toungue.
    Slimfast
    21 day fix
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Zone diet
    Slimfast
    Nutrisystem
    Weight Watchers (early 80s, then mid-nineties)
    Barely legal "diet" pills bought from some guy in my college days (they were probably just caffeine pills)
    Crash diet (severely limited calories)
    Low fat
    Various meal plans found in women's magazines

Hmmmm... what haven't I tried?
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I forgot SlimFast! I tried that too.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In high school in the 80s I begged my mom to buy these fiber diet pills I saw in the back of a magazine. You would just take five pills with a lot of water three times a day and then the next day eat all you wanted. I lost fast on that diet over the summer. When school started I was embarrassed to take the pills at school so I quit and gained back more than I lost. I was so stupid, I could have done the same by eating every other day. Which is also not good for you.

Also did Atkins starting in high school and several times over the past 35 years. Lost it fast and gained it back plus even faster. I will never low carb again.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The idea of a cleanse never spoke to me as a method. I think it is because I have fasted for a day or 2 on occasion for most of my life (not for weight loss... never for weight loss). I couldn't imagine a few other ingredients doing something that didn't happen with water or juice.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic binge/purge subtype back in the day (was hospitalized in 2002/2) and tried everything from extremely dangerous laxative abuse to the many useless otc diet drugs

Oh, I didn't mention that. Yeah, I had my years of laxative abuse.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've tried slim fast, phentermine, alli (one of the over the counter diet pills), and its not this is not a fad diet but I tried eating nothing but health foods that didn't work bec I wasn't in a deficient even tho the food was good for me then I tried eating whatever I wanted but goin to the gym and all I did them was maintain my weight bec I was still eating so much. I'm so glad I found mfp and now understand cico
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a diet or done for dieting purposes, but I was into water fasts in my late teens for mental clarity and enlightenment. I got the ultimate mental clarity and was very enlightened to how stupid that was when I landed in the hospital because of it.

Other than that, I've never really been a dieter. Maybe a brief few days because my friends were doing it, I tried the cabbage soup diet, that diet where you ate grapefruit and toast for breakfast, and some other diets that were circulating in the 90s. I can't remember them much because I wasn't really serious about losing weight back then, I just wanted to try things because my friends did them.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Body Fueling
    Atkins
    Schwartzbein Principle
    <sigh>
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Atkins.....but I cheated.
    Nutrisystem.....but I cheated.
    Lowfat.....but I cheated.

Just too impatient and never understood the process.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    And almost bought the raspberry ketones when Dr.Oz had me convinced. Lol

That’s who got me! Never again. Seriously they were like gummie bears and added 15 cals each (eat 4-6 a day) to my intake. Such a scam and I fell for it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Atkins.....but I cheated.
    Nutrisystem.....but I cheated.
    Lowfat.....but I cheated.

Just too impatient and never understood the process.

I tried lowfat in the '80s. Lasted almost a week before I snapped, went to In-n-Out and ordered two Double Doubles.

Apparently I don't do well at the extremes when it comes to diet. LFHC and LCHF were both unsustainable for me.

[ETA:] I cheated on Atkins/low-carb too - and quickly discovered that the results were....uncomfortable...and potentially disgusting. It's hard to enjoy yourself on vacation when you have to stay within waddling distance of the nearest toilet at all times.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    None.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Stop The Insanity
    Cher Diet for CFS
    Beverly Hills Diet
    Pritikin Plan