Does Keto work ?

Options
Has anyone does this diet ? I need to lose these last 15 pounds and I’m getting discouraged! Any helpful tips would help out !! Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Do you actually have 15 Lbs to lose? Like do you really have those fat stores or are you just trying to get to some arbitrary number?

If you're already pretty lean, you're going to be fighting human biology.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Tons of folks do it and talk about it. Go above to the search button and put in Keto and you'll find many threads. Good Luck to you.
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do you have any preconceived ideas about eating fat. If it comes down to it, are you going to melt a couple tbsp. of straight butter into your coffee just to make your macros that day? If not other diets may work better for you.....for what it is worth buttered coffee is delicious!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    These are the facts: you can lose a lot of weight at first. I fully believe all the people that say they've lost weight on keto--I'm not denying that at all.

But you will gain weight back when you stop, and then you may find it harder to lose that weight again. It's a form of starvation mode and it completely destroys your endocrine system's ability to affect homeostasis when used over the long term. It likely has negative long-term effects on your brain/nervous system and your cardiovascular system as well. It's not a long-term diet. Period. End of story. That is what the science of physiology says.

It's a tool that was designed for professional athletes who are trying to cut weight in the short term for specific competitions. If you are morbidly obese, it can be used (UNDER MEDICAL SUPERVISION) to shed some pounds, but only because the alternative is chronic disease and because your endocrine/cardiovascular/nervous systems are likely already damaged, so it's the lesser of the evils there.

Please, above all else, talk to your doctor!!!!!!!!! before going on any sort of extreme plan like keto, and listen to what your doctor says (even if it's different from what I just wrote).

Please stop.

Bolded #1 - Water weight
    Bolded #2 - Starvation mode doesn't exist. Explain anorexics.
    Bolded #3 and #4 - Can you please provide the scientific studies that state this?

Already asked on a different thread. I was told to google it and its 'basic physiology'. *shrugs*
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am looking into keto in regards to insulin spike avoiding. Weight loss is a side effect I hope will happen, and to that end I don't want to be eating as much fat (%) as you would in a medical ketogenic diet (designed for growing children with epilepsy I think)
    There are some very informative talks a round and plenty of papers .
    I have tried a few different regimes and yes anything that lowers calories will work. The thing is to find something you can use and adapt for life which works for you. In this case I hope to avoid type 2 diabetes by regulating insulin/blood sugar.
    I think that low GI aims to that too(?)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Maybe I'm off base here but I feel like the rapid weight loss on keto may not be 100% water. It seems that many who do Keto are not athletic or do much if any, resistance training. You also can't have too much protein since it is insulinogenic. Seems like a good setup if you also want to lose some muscle. Since each pound of muscle only contains 600 calories, I feel like this could lead to people believing they found the holy grail of weight loss. Not all weight loss is good.

You're not off base. At all. Alan Aragon (and numerous other evidence-based researchers) agree:

4jymbf0uonch.jpg