Any 1 doing the keto Diet? I just started

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SusannO wrote: »
    Today is my 3 week anniversary on keto. I've lost 13 lbs, and all my body measurements are down at least a half inch. I had no keto flu pain and converted to ketosis in 2 days with no pain. I ate spinach, lox, cream cheese, pepperoni sticks, string cheese, teri chicken (marinated), 2 finn crisps max/day and olive oil on salads primarily for the first 4-5 days. Simple to grab from fridge when I'm hungry and I didn't have to linger at the fridge looking around. I'm a foodie and love to cook so there were some sad moments at times, but you get over it pretty quick. I'm not hungry on this diet so there aren't the cravings. It is easy to be under calories. The main thing to do is drink A LOT of water. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee each morning with heavy cream and then only water the rest of the day. I sprinkled some salt and lemon juice into my water and that will help keep you from getting keto cramps.
    Tracking on MFP is important so you can have some cheats. I do 70% fat/20 pro/10 carb, which gives me 38g carbs per day. I just make sure I never go over 50. The other day I had eaten low carb vegies and so I had a half cup of my beloved Tillamook Caramel Butter Pecan ice cream. I'm still in high volume ketosis. I know some folks are strict about less than 20g, but for me, I've found if I stay under 50 (I average 20-40), my keto stick still says I'm in high ketosis and I don't feel like I'm deprived so much. I haven't done bread, but I did make the fathead pizza crust the other day and it was pretty good.
    Best of luck to you my fellow keto-ers!

keto is under 50g net,but most do 20 or less. there shouldnt be any pain when getting into ketosis. keto flu happens due to your body depleting water,sodium and glycogen which can make you feel like you have the flu(hence keto flu) getting enough potassium,magnesium and sodium can prevent that. as for being under calories,even with keto you need to eat to your calorie goal if using MFP. as for cheats just work the things you love into your daily goals and no need for cheats.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I bought the cookbook Keto in 28 and that helped me out big time, I don't have to worry about calculating my macros or any of that on my own. The book does all of that for me. The recipes are yummy and it makes life easier. Lost 16 pounds in 28 days on the plan. It was $2.99 kindle download, the book was $14 and I didn't want to pay that much especially I wasn't sure if it would have worked. I feel people fail at Keto because of the headache of having to calculate your macros.

As I am reading what I wrote, it sounds like a sales pitch. I don't own the book or have any rights to it, or make any money off of it hahahahaha
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    thanx yall. im doing the 75% fat 5%carb 20% protein at 1700 calories a day. what i eat is...
    Eggs, Bacon, heavy whip cream, sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese, MCT Oil, spinach, 2tbsn saltedbutter, sour cream, chicken, and fasting in the mornings. 16 hr window between meals. ive lost about 5 pounds in 6 days.

I’m doing almost the exact same. 16 hour fasting and all. Have lost about 12 pounds in 5 days.

I completed my first fasting today, and it went better than I was expecting
  • Asena002
    Asena002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There’s a great documentary on Netflix about the ketogenic diet called “The Magic Pill”. Check it out if you have Netflix.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Asena002 wrote: »
    There’s a great documentary on Netflix about the ketogenic diet called “The Magic Pill”. Check it out if you have Netflix.

if its on netflix its going to be full of a lot of bullcrap to be honest. those things are not backed up by science or scientific studies even though they claim to be . like saying your body turns into a fat burning machine. its burns dietary fat for energy as you can only burn so much body fat at a time no matter what way you eat. you also still have to be in a deficit.
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Looking for some macro examples to help me out.

Yes! I have been doing it since August 2017 (Doctors orders) and I LOVE it. Have lost 50 lbs with 20 more to go. I will eat like this for the rest of my life, it's SO easy.

But that's not what you came here for.

My macros are:

~1500 calories a day
    5-10% carbs (18.75 - 37.5 NET grams)
    70-80% fats (116.66 - 133.33 grams)
    15 - 25% protein (56.25 - 93.75)

Varies if I'm particularly active as I've recently taken up swimming and running on alternate days and it's making me a lot hungrier... I think my diary is public if you want to check it out.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

if its on netflix its going to be full of a lot of bullcrap to be honest. those things are not backed up by science or scientific studies even though they claim to be . like saying your body turns into a fat burning machine. its burns dietary fat for energy as you can only burn so much body fat at a time no matter what way you eat. you also still have to be in a deficit.

Not at all. Ken Burns' documentaries are available on Netflix. This particular piece of propoganda is pure tosh, though.
  • Eric23185
    Eric23185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 days in. I feel gross, but will see it through. I only want to drop 20lbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Not at all. Ken Burns' documentaries are available on Netflix. This particular piece of propoganda is pure tosh, though.

dont know who that is. but lets say any of the food ones are full of crap. but I meant that any of the food ones is going to be full of crap. not sure about other ones as I dont watch other documnetaries. especially the food ones.
  • altargreene85
    altargreene85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The Magic pill. Great Documentary!!!
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto since 1/20/18. Never felt better! Research, dedication and discipline are key to being successful on the Keto WOE.
  • jem5065
    jem5065 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2. Week 1 went great but i screwed up on sunday and totally had to re-start today. Lesson learned.. stick to simple recipes to start and TRACK it all! Feeling great though getting back on it.
  • BlondeRunner615
    BlondeRunner615 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanx yall. im doing the 75% fat 5%carb 20% protein at 1700 calories a day. what i eat is...
    Eggs, Bacon, heavy whip cream, sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese, MCT Oil, spinach, 2tbsn saltedbutter, sour cream, chicken, and fasting in the mornings. 16 hr window between meals. ive lost about 5 pounds in 6 days.

that diet doesn't sound particularly heart healthy if done long term
  • Rebe90s
    Rebe90s Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I also combined intermediate fasting with the keto diet along with an hour of exercise 6 days out of the week and I have already lost 13 lb