Green Smoothie Detox - Make Fresh Or What Store Bought Brand Do You Recommend?

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    "What Do You Recommend?"

Not doing it. At all.

Why not?

Unnecessary, potentially harmful, and unpleasant.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

You would know.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

You would know.

Your use of the phrase "detox system" aside, the fact that you're sitting here typing this is a clue...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath and doctor who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

How do you know you do not?

Test results. Certain foods has effected my digestion. So it is not operating optimally. My question is about fresh or what healthy brand to recommend.

Stop eating those foods. Things will get back to normal after you stop ingesting them.

That is step 1. Step 2 is to get rid of the allergens built up in the body, hence tons of greens, vegetables, some fruits, healthy fats and protein as per doctor orders based on my situation.

You have to get rid of the built up allergens which is toxins and someone with allergies will not recover until you get rid of the built up.

Wat? No.

Its true. Doctors who specialize in food allergies know how to get rid of allergies you develop later in life. Inherited allergies are for life, unfortunately.

My dad developed an allergy to peanuts later in life (in his 30s). His allergist and his doctor told him that he had it for life and if he ingested peanuts again, they would likely kill him. Some 20 years later, he accidentally had some... And nothing happened. He went to his doctor. He went to his allergist. They told him it wasn't possible. He said that he was going to take a jar of peanut butter and a spoon to the emergency room and dig in. They told him not to be stupid. Finally, he had a couple of peanuts in the allergist's office, which was located in the hospital. Nothing happened.

My father jokes now about being a medical miracle. He did 'outgrow' a developed allergy. But the allergist had previously told him that it wasn't possible.

My younger sister was born allergic to about 90% of the food on Earth. (Seriously, she was allergic to chicken and turkey. As well as citrus, raw tomato, raw nuts, eggs, fish, mustard, peas, beans...)

Today? She's still got some of those allergies. But she's outgrown more than half of them.

So, with respect, your info has a few holes in it.

I was told I was allergic to penicillin. Broke out in hives when I was in college. Years later, desperate because I couldn't get to the doctor, I took penicillin I found in the medicine cabinet. Guess what? No hives. No reaction. I was cured!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath and doctor who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

How do you know you do not?

Test results. Certain foods has effected my digestion. So it is not operating optimally. My question is about fresh or what healthy brand to recommend.

Stop eating those foods. Things will get back to normal after you stop ingesting them.

That is step 1. Step 2 is to get rid of the allergens built up in the body, hence tons of greens, vegetables, some fruits, healthy fats and protein as per doctor orders based on my situation.

You have to get rid of the built up allergens which is toxins and someone with allergies will not recover until you get rid of the built up.

Wat? No.

Its true. Doctors who specialize in food allergies know how to get rid of allergies you develop later in life. Inherited allergies are for life, unfortunately.

My dad developed an allergy to peanuts later in life (in his 30s). His allergist and his doctor told him that he had it for life and if he ingested peanuts again, they would likely kill him. Some 20 years later, he accidentally had some... And nothing happened. He went to his doctor. He went to his allergist. They told him it wasn't possible. He said that he was going to take a jar of peanut butter and a spoon to the emergency room and dig in. They told him not to be stupid. Finally, he had a couple of peanuts in the allergist's office, which was located in the hospital. Nothing happened.

My father jokes now about being a medical miracle. He did 'outgrow' a developed allergy. But the allergist had previously told him that it wasn't possible.

My younger sister was born allergic to about 90% of the food on Earth. (Seriously, she was allergic to chicken and turkey. As well as citrus, raw tomato, raw nuts, eggs, fish, mustard, peas, beans...)

Today? She's still got some of those allergies. But she's outgrown more than half of them.

So, with respect, your info has a few holes in it.

I was told I was allergic to penicillin. Broke out in hives when I was in college. Years later, desperate because I couldn't get to the doctor, I took penicillin I found in the medicine cabinet. Guess what? No hives. No reaction. I was cured!

I am (or was) allergic to penicillin too -- ended up in the hospital with terrible hives and a dangerously high fever when I was around 5 or 6. My current doctor told me it's extremely common for kids to grow out of that and that I may not be allergic any more, but there's been no reason to test it.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    lol has anyone seen the clip from Dr. Phil with the lady who's convinced she has like, 75 different "allergies" to various "toxins" ? That's what this thread is starting to remind me of...

OMG - I think she was probably in the top ten of Dr Phil’s craziest!