Anyone here 60 yo?

Options
2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    62 here, why "recovering" triathlete? Triathlon is an awesome sport, especially for us geezers as it forces us to cross train. Admittedly I have no delusions of doing Kona (I'll probably never do a full Iron).....

Agreed. Why let the youngsters have all the fun?
  • md1058
    md1058 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow so old
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    md1058 wrote: »
    Wow so old

Interesting choice for a first post...
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    62 here, why "recovering" triathlete? Triathlon is an awesome sport, especially for us geezers as it forces us to cross train. Admittedly I have no delusions of doing Kona (I'll probably never do a full Iron).....
    I too love the inherent cross training of triathlon training. My weakness was (is) running and I think I just over-emphasized running to the detriment of other disciplines (mostly swimming), and definitely to the detriment of resistance training and improving flexibility. I am not going to walk away from doing triathlons as I firmly believe that I can complete a sprint tri without a specific training regimen, but I doubt I will do a Oly or greater distance just because of the volume of running I would (or at least I think I would have to) commit to.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I turn 60 later this year. Just recently took up SUP and even did some whitewater on SUP a couple of weeks ago. I am in the best shape I have been in for many years, largely because I didn't want to turn 60 overweight and out of shape.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    I too love the inherent cross training of triathlon training. My weakness was (is) running and I think I just over-emphasized running to the detriment of other disciplines (mostly swimming), and definitely to the detriment of resistance training and improving flexibility. I am not going to walk away from doing triathlons as I firmly believe that I can complete a sprint tri without a specific training regimen, but I doubt I will do a Oly or greater distance just because of the volume of running I would (or at least I think I would have to) commit to.

Reading your note above, it seems to me that you have (sort of) outlined a training approach that would address your desire to participate in triathlons while balancing the need to maintain strength and flexibility. Given your 6 to 7 days/week in current training load, I'll make the assumption that you have some solid base fitness. That fitness level, coupled with your understanding of the need to maintain strength and flexibility as we age, should position you well to undertake a triathlon training build beyond the sprint distance. (If you wanted to do so ).

I understand that long course racing doesn't appeal to everyone, but your comments make me think the path is there for you if you get the itch. As far as running, assuming you just want to complete the distance, volume would not have to be too significant, as long as you are getting sufficient overall training volume.

As a final point of reference, I am 3 weeks out from my first tri of the season, a 70.3 race on June 3rd. Since I have a cranky Achilles tendon, I have done VERY little running since last October. With that said, my bike volume has been substantial, so I've maintained aerobic fitness and managed to run a recent half marathon without issue.

Just offering this as food for thought, since I know the pull of triathlon can be strong. :)
  • 0ysterboy
    Options
    Yes, the pull is strong. I am not a runner, far from it and I am quite sure there are aspects of my form that are horrible. I know that running is awesome exercise and do enjoy it in moderation, but I think that my overall fitness requires a more diversified training than S/B/R. If I drop 20 lbs this summer I might feel differently about Oly races in the fall.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    Yes, the pull is strong. I am not a runner, far from it and I am quite sure there are aspects of my form that are horrible. I know that running is awesome exercise and do enjoy it in moderation, but I think that my overall fitness requires a more diversified training than S/B/R. If I drop 20 lbs this summer I might feel differently about Oly races in the fall.

I know a couple of people who have completed 70.3 & Ironman events without running at all. If your swim & bike ae solid enough you can walk the run portion and still make the cutoffs. Personally I'm content with Olympic distances.....I can train and still have a life (even though I am seriously considering the Muskoka 70.3 in 2019)
  • 0ysterboy
    Options
    Maybe would consider a HIM after I retire but my schedule just won't let me train at the kind of volume necessary to complete HIM nevermind an IM. Honestly, I could probably do a HIM right now but I'd be a wreck, don't really need to go there.