Walking a marathon

Options
Burned 1500 calories today. So far 11 miles towards my goal of walking a marathon this week. 26.2 miles.

Down 70 lbs so far.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good job man
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Good Job Soldier!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Still on track after a week on the road for a new job. Staying 800-1000 calories under the daily goal. Walked about 12 miles this week. Looks like I’ve cleared the first hurdle to stay on track. Down 75lbs.

Why ate you not hitting your calorie goal?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Still on track after a week on the road for a new job. Staying 800-1000 calories under the daily goal. Walked about 12 miles this week. Looks like I’ve cleared the first hurdle to stay on track. Down 75lbs.

I'm wondering the same. You're severely under eating if your goal is already set to a deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You are doing great, but be wise about how hard you push. Your daily MFP goal has your deficit built in. You should eat that plus about half your exercise calories. Otherwise you risk mental burnout, physical fatigue, and possible health issues. Especially with the added stress of a new job, There are lots of threads like that on here all the time. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    To be honest,, if you're just walking a marathon distance -- and not continuously, but breaking it up over several days -- then I wouldn't worry much about mental or physical burnout. The exercise calories will be substantial, but not outrageous.

You should still work up to that distance, but personally, I wouldn't worry much about consuming too few calories. The distance sounds like a lot, but one can burn the equivalent number of calories in just a few hours of higher intensity workouts.
  • bigredchief1
    bigredchief1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I'm wondering the same. You're severely under eating if your goal is already set to a deficit.
    I don’t feel hungry so I don’t eat. I’m not starving myself. I’ve ate popcorn with butter at the movies, Krystal burgers some strudel things. How am l severely under eating?
  • bigredchief1
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    To be honest,, if you're just walking a marathon distance -- and not continuously, but breaking it up over several days -- then I wouldn't worry much about mental or physical burnout. The exercise calories will be substantial, but not outrageous.

You should still work up to that distance, but personally, I wouldn't worry much about consuming too few calories. The distance sounds like a lot, but one can burn the equivalent number of calories in just a few hours of higher intensity workouts.
    It was over a weeks time. Walking 3-4 miles a day average with taking a day off a week.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

It was over a weeks time. Walking 3-4 miles a day average with taking a day off a week.

As I said, if you're breaking it up over several days, I wouldn't worry about mental or physical burnout. Unless you have some pretty substantial limitations, of course.

I certainly wouldn't worry about keeping your caloric intake up to fuel that routine. I'm not saying that it's a bad one; just that I don't think the intensity should present much of a problem.

• TavistockToad
    Options

I don’t feel hungry so I don’t eat. I’m not starving myself. I’ve ate popcorn with butter at the movies, Krystal burgers some strudel things. How am l severely under eating?

What's your calorie goal and how far under it are you?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

You're right, you never started your current weight or calorie intake. I'm just going going by what you have said, that you are eating 800-1000 calories under goal. If you're using MFP as intended, your goal already includes a deficit. You said you burned 1500 cals so far in one day... was that just exercise-specific calories, or total calories for the day?
  • bigredchief1
    Options

2590. Staying an average 800 calories a day.

• bigredchief1
    Options

You're right, you never started your current weight or calorie intake. I'm just going going by what you have said, that you are eating 800-1000 calories under goal. If you're using MFP as intended, your goal already includes a deficit. You said you burned 1500 cals so far in one day... was that just exercise-specific calories, or total calories for the day?
    exercise specific calories. I don’t include exercise calories in my daily goals. They are the icing on the cake. The extra effort. That’s why I’ve lost all the weight. No secret sauce. Watch the calories and nutrition. Exercise.

• TavistockToad
    Options

Which isn't enough calories for a 2 year old child. You're doing yourself serious damage if you keep that up long term.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited May 2018
    Options

exercise specific calories. I don’t include exercise calories in my daily goals. They are the icing on the cake. The extra effort. That’s why I’ve lost all the weight. No secret sauce. Watch the calories and nutrition. Exercise.

1500 cals is a lot more than icing on a cake. If your goal of 2690 already includes a deficit, you're eating 800 cals less than that, and burning an additional 1500 cals a day through exercise that you aren't including... then you're netting just under 400 calories a day. That's really not good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Can you clarify please. Are you consuming a net of 800 calories per day, or c1600 calories per day?

Getting all this information piecemeal is making it difficult to get a good picture of what you're doing, hence the concerns expressed.

Fwiw, I agree with the point upthread that walking 26 miles per week isn't stressful enough on your system to need to worry too much about recovery. But it does need some build up.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited May 2018
    Options

Can you clarify please. Are you consuming a net of 800 calories per day, or c1600 calories per day?

Getting all this information piecemeal is making it difficult to get a good picture of what you're doing, hence the concerns expressed.

Fwiw, I agree with the point upthread that walking 26 miles per week isn't stressful enough on your system to need to worry too much about recovery. But it does need some build up.

He said 800 below his goal of 2590 (had to piecemeal that together lol) plus burns an additional 1500 cals a day that he doesn't log.

ETA that's what I've worked out based on what the OP has said, I may be wrong.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    @TavistockToad and @MeanderingMammal are you guys also waiting for the OP to come back? I'm honestly concerned.