Getting used to healthier foods

Options
up04rxk96vm0.jpeg
So... this is 474 calories. It is my lunch, which means i have about 1100 cals to go today. I dont think i can eat that much...

Replies

• tormikoskiterhi
    tormikoskiterhi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh bugger.. where did the rest of the text go?
    Anyhow. Like I tried saying I have bad history of eating way too little and/or total garbage.
    Now that I'm switching to healthier foods I feel like I'm stuffed pretty much all the time.
    But i guess my body will get used to this, huh?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There are calorie dense nutritious foods you could have if you have a smaller appetite.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Adding some fats to your diet is an easy way to up the calories. Cook with some oil or butter, eat fuller fat dairy, avocados, use a higher calorie salad dressing. Eat dark meat poultry or salmon.
    Eat some pasta, rice cereal or bread. Eat some granola, nuts or seeds. Eat some dried fruit.
    Drinking some of your calories in the form of whole milk, juice, smoothie or a shake might be easier than eating more food if you struggle to do that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    How sure are you that your lunch is 474 calories? I can't tell 100 percent what I am looking at but my calorie spidey sense is tingling that it could be higher.
  • tormikoskiterhi
    Options
    @NovusDies I'm sure. Everything for this meal in particular was carefully measured and scaled. This is the One food where I'm absolutely sure whats in it
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    @toxikon I agree the eggs are overcooked. My daughter (9y) made them for us yesterday :smile: I love them! :smiley:

Well of course you can't turn down your daughter's eggs!! ;) Totally understandable.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That’s a nice looking plate of food.
    Bright orange/yellow yolks are determined by the chicken’s diet. You can avoid the green ring by immediately immersing the eggs in ice cold water when done cooking (Julia Child trick)
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    That looks pretty good for a meal if you ask me. If you don't think you're getting enough calories from main meals, maybe you could add some snacks in between, like nuts, fruit, dairy etc.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    To the OP. I know what you mean. Before I started paying closer attention to my diet, I was drinking a lot of my calories thru Beer. Once I started eating nutrient dense food it was tough at first to choke it all down. Black beans are so filling for instance. As others have mentioned in this oils, butters, and nuts can really add up calorie wise and aren't really filling if you are struggling. I seem to recall a database that listed relative satiability of different foods, I couldn't locate the site I remembered, but I found this it may help you pick some less filling alternatives to try until you get used to eating more nutrient dense food.

http://www.ernaehrungsdenkwerkstatt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/EDWText/TextElemente/Ernaehrungswissenschaft/Naehrstoffe/Saettigung_Lebensmittel_Satiety_Index.pdf

However, I do recommend trying eat the solid calories rather than trying to just add filler. Of course keep an eye on your macros will help tell you if you getting too much fat vs others etc. I personally don't get all anal about my macros just check on em here and there to make sure my overall has a decent balance to it.
  • vinceinalabama
    vinceinalabama Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've come to the understanding that eggs are good for us. A decent source of protein. Then again other people have expressed their concern that I eat way to many eggs. I used to eat three fried eggs over two hash browns parties with a dollop of BBQ sauce and got sauce for breakfast every day for breakfast. Now I've switched to oatmeal. Anyone have any suggestions regarding the number of eggs I consume let sitting/ or over the course of a week..? Thank you in advance. Vince :)
  • tormikoskiterhi
    Options
    @mutantspicy thank you for the link and the insight, I really value them.
    I'm learnin about macros (and micros) as I go and feel I'm getting the hang of this! Yey!
    @vinceinalabama in Finland we have a state issued guidelines for food and that states that about 2-4 eggs in a week is a good going rate as to not let it affect cholesterol and blood pressure in a negative way.
    @AliceDark using fats in a healthy way had turned out to be quite tricky, at least for me. But I'm learning and I'm sure i'll get the hang of those too:)
  • littlebrowndog2015
    littlebrowndog2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @mutantspicy thank you for the link and the insight, I really value them.
    I'm learnin about macros (and micros) as I go and feel I'm getting the hang of this! Yey!
    @vinceinalabama in Finland we have a state issued guidelines for food and that states that about 2-4 eggs in a week is a good going rate as to not let it affect cholesterol and blood pressure in a negative way.
    @AliceDark using fats in a healthy way had turned out to be quite tricky, at least for me. But I'm learning and I'm sure i'll get the hang of those too:)

Eggs don’t affect cholesterol like you think they do. You can have 2-3 eggs a day 7 days a week