Mayonnaise

Options
13»

Replies

• vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mayonnaise alternatives? I knew it was high in calories but not *that* high! Yes, I do know I could plan ahead to have it etc etc all that good stuff, but some alternative ideas would be most welcome! Also, I am not a fan of the Hellmanns lighter mayo.

I LOVE veganaise! Not willing to give it up, just watch my portions and it’s good fat anyways.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) you have certainly given me lots of things to try
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Mayo is the one thing I make room for in my calories and macros. YUM!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Try mixing two parts of the reg mayo with one part light mayo (70/T) and keep it in a container in the fridge. Once you get used to that do half and half (60/T), then 2 parts light one regular (43/T) Or start off with half and half mixture and see if you like it. Eventually you won't mind the taste of the Hellmann light or just continue to use One of those mixes. It's just an adjustment on your taste buds. For sandwich spread try this mustard mayo mix from barefoot contessa, it's really good. You can use a mix of regular and light for this as well.

3/4 cup good mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I cut out eating mayo entirely for awhile but there are some things that just don't taste "right" without it and, as long as I have the cals to spare, I don't worry about it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What are you using it for? For tuna salad you could do half mayo and half greek yogurt instead. For a sandwich, guacamole or mustard is good instead.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    What are you using it for? For tuna salad you could do half mayo and half greek yogurt instead. For a sandwich, guacamole or mustard is good instead.

I only really use it for tuna
  • rachelsentinel
    rachelsentinel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don’t use a lot of mayo so I only use the full-fat kind (and I’m a Duke’s fan). Sandwiches I do like mustard or hummus or laughing cow (and I’d forgotten about those, so thanks! Now I want a breakfast sandwich). Now, once tomatoes are in, tomato sandwiches (on homemade sourdough) REQUIRE good mayo.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've learned to do without it on most sandwiches, but when I eat sweet potato fries I have a nice dollop on my plate to dip them into. I just track it and move on with my life.

Miracle Whip is a disgusting alien product that should not exist. Barf.
  • dobyblue
    dobyblue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Olive oil-based mayonnaise is a bit lower in calories

Don’t you have to make it yourself though? All the “Olive Oil” Mayo I see in the store are still primarily canola or soybean high in omega 6 oils as the first ingredient.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    dobyblue wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Olive oil-based mayonnaise is a bit lower in calories

Don’t you have to make it yourself though? All the “Olive Oil” Mayo I see in the store are still primarily canola or soybean high in omega 6 oils as the first ingredient.

No. They are, but the important part is that they are lower in calories by quite a bit compared to the original.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    I've learned to do without it on most sandwiches, but when I eat sweet potato fries I have a nice dollop on my plate to dip them into. I just track it and move on with my life.

Miracle Whip is a disgusting alien product that should not exist. Barf.

The only thing I will use Miracle Whip for is BLTs. Otherwise, I ignore the jar in the fridge.