Protein Bars and Sales Tax (US)

Options
2»

Replies

• bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    In Oklahoma, all food is also taxed at the same rate. Varies from town to town, but most are between 9-10%. 9.85% where I live.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all food in my state is taxed at the same 9.5% rate as everything else....be it a protein bar a gallon of milk or some gummy worms.

Are you in WA? If so, it appears that food is exempt. http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0293

(My father lives in WA.)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I live in Missouri and pay 5.35% tax on groceries. Not sure about protein bars.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    We have a flat rate sales tax that includes all groceries at 10%.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    What state are you in that taxed the protein bar? I'm guessing one of two things are at play here:

1. The state's definition of snack foods subject to the sales tax is broad enough to cover protein bars, or
    2. There's some ambiguity in the application of the law and whoever manages the store's POS system classified the protein bars as taxable to be on the safe side.

This (the bolded) got me wondering.....

If they are not supposed to classify them as taxable, what do they do with over-collection? It would be wrong if they kept it. But it would also be wrong for the government to keep it. Hmmm. A moral conundrum.