How often do you have cheat meals?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by cheat meal. I don't call anything I eat cheating.
    If you want to have a higher calorie day it won't damage you but you might be better off fitting things you want into your daily or weekly calorie goal.

I try to log every day as best I can and stick to my goal. I did not drastically change my diet and eat food I like every day.
    Sometimes I have a maintenance calorie day.
    I eat out for lunch on Sunday usually. I plan what I am going to get in advance.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I’m actually quite surprised at how many people do have cheat meals. I’ve yet to have a cheat meal, let alone a cheat day, since I began 4 months ago. I personally never advocate for one, but I think so long as you’re not absolutely destroying your day, you should be fine.

Whether people have cheat meals or not is more related to their mindset around food and less about the type of foods they enjoy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Meaning if I use my cheat meal on Friday for lunch I’ll eat right for breakfast and dinner.
    Is that to many cheat meals?

Well, if over a month you haven't lost weight as expected, then yes, it is too many cheat meals.

I could easily blow a weekly calorie deficit with three cheat meals. Heck, if I put some effort into it, I could probably blow a weekly deficit with one cheat meal.

People define cheat meals differentlys - are you logging the calories of these meals?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I typically fit what I want to eat within my weekly calories. This includes weekly pizza (atleast 3 slices) and eating out 2-3 times a week. With eating out I try and estimate my calories the best I can and log it. I exercise often and plan out my calories for the week and this hasn't hindered me steadily losing 1lb/wk. If you aren't reaching your weight loss goals then that is a time to reevaluate what you're doing and make adjustments.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I try to get it right about 75-80% of the time - so over the course of 30+ meals & snacks per week, that is roughly 6-7 meals/snacks where I end up eating more calories and/or an unfavorable mix of macros.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Jadub729 wrote: »
    Villypierr wrote: »
    I don't cheat with fat food. If you have to lose weight you have to have food with quality. Try to stay focused. Cheat only with healthy snacks. Its only you my friend on this journey, and all the hard work you do, goes backwards if you do that. Loose the weight first and then do that on the maintenance.

That is not true. I've lost 60lbs while still enjoying Burger King, chicken fingers and mudslides.

and i lost 100 eating whatever the heck i wanted, too. No, i dont have much fast food (i simply dont like it), but i do eat out with some regularity (and order what i WANT, not whatever has fewest calories), and do love me some alcohol, and baked goods and all kinds of yummies and have chocolate near every day.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    By cheat meal, I assume that you are far exceeding your calorie intake for the day? Because that's what a cheat meal is defined by. If you're staying within your macros and deficit, then it really isn't a cheat at all. I do If It Fits Your Macros and basically eat what I'm craving...just gauge the amounts as per what fits in my allowed range for the day.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I guess "cheat meal" is kind of a subjective term, but last night I went a bit off my normal meal pattern and ate out at BWW. Had a snack size wings (5), a side salad and a lite beer and it was over 900 calories, which for me is a lot for dinner. Went for a quick walk when I got home to burn an extra few calories and ended up right on my goal for the day so it all worked out. I mean, at the end of the day, even a few 100 calories over one day isn't going to totally derail someone, am-I-right?
  • dianaeatworld
    dianaeatworld Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have cheat day, but there are days that I just eat at maintenance instead of a deficit. Like tonight, for example. I'm going out to dinner with a friend to TGIFridays. I already know that I'm going to tear up some Sesame Jack chicken tenders. So instead of starving myself all day to fit the meal into my deficit, I've altered my normal eating habits slightly so that I can fit that meal into my day and still eat at my maintenance level.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I usually have one per week. When I was heavier I'd have a cheat DAY, and eat whatever and log it, but now it's more like one day when I have an excess of maximum 500 calories, which is essentially eating at maintenance now. It didn't affect me at all when I first started since I had a 1000 calorie deficit per day. I may change it to 2x per month, and really eat something I wouldn't normally. It kind of keeps me on track when I do it properly. When was normal weight I would always have one day per week when I could eat candy and cake (essentially a cheat day, and I only ate one small piece of cake from a bakery and a few chocolates, but that's all I wanted) and the other 6 days I did not eat treats. It worked very well--I was not counting calories then.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    First all thanks to everyone who left a comment. Starting off I will eliminate the word (cheat) because I don’t eat over my daily calories which is 1800 cal at the moment and it goes down every week as I lose weight. I honestly didn’t know another word. I have been seeing the gains and progress I wanted to, Every week since I started. Some weeks are better than other but and all I have consistently lost a few pounds every week. I’m really on this journey by myself I goto the gym 4-5 times out the week. But learning that long as you eat a calorie deficit you can lose weight I want feel bad no more about it. I thought it was eating all the right food at a calorie deficit. One again thanks for all the knowledge and Btw if you don’t mind I need friends on this app of ppl who are active on the app and can help motivate and vise versa so if don’t mind adding me or sending me a request that would be great.

You might want to call them 'fun' meals. I don't think many people would have a problem with that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I never have cheat meals.

When I was actively losing weight, I never ever, not even once went over my calorie limit.

Then when I hit a certain goal, 16 weeks later, I took a 1-month diet break. Then I returned to actively losing weight where I never ever, not even once went over my calorie limit for another 16 weeks. And reached my end goal.

Now I stick to my calorie limit for a while when I figure I need to drop a bit ... and take diet breaks when dropping weight isn't particularly important or necessary.