Keto or no keto?

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose - 100 pounds - thinking of doing keto - but playing with macros not sure how to get that much fat in or if I should??? Thoughts?

Replies

• angelarene626
    angelarene626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tried Keto and it worked for us for the couple of months we were on it. We both lost about 10-15 lbs. AND the allowed foods make you feel like you aren’t being as restrictive as other diets. Check out Pinterest for recipe ideas! After 2 months or so, we ended up stopping it due to my husband finding out he had high cholesterol, and his doctor didn’t think Keto was a good diet for him to stay on (obviously)

Overall, I realized Keto wasn’t for me either...Although the diet doesn’t feel as restrictive as other diets it still requires you to cut a lot of items you are used to consuming. Being so restrictive on my diet is just unrealistic for me and my lifestyle. It’s just not sustainable for the long term. I like to go out, travel and eat carbs!! So I realized I had to instead train myself to portion control and eat less processed foods on a daily basis. It took me a good 3-4 months to figure out the right portions and the right amount of cheat meals I can or can’t have lol. But it’s been worth it to learn how to eat for me and my lifestyle. If Keto works for you then do it! But I think it’s just hard to follow for a lifetime.
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you but started with closer to 130 to lose. I've been following a mediterranean keto for 5 weeks just started week 6 and I'm down 30lbs. Before I went full keto I gradually reduced my carbs for a month to make sure I didn't have too long of the keto flu (during this timeframe I didn't lose any weight though). I feel great, my blood sugars are amazing, my cholesterol has changed drastically. I should add I also reduced my calories. I know some think you can eat how ever many calories you while eating keto but you really do need to watch them. If you're eating healthy you appetite should get to a point where the reduced calories is the perfect amount. Also, because I have more weight to lose I can eat a higher amount of carbs right now and still be in ketosis. The calculators are great, but you really don't know where your macros need to be until you start.
  • 43Ninebark
    43Ninebark Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I tried keto for a few days and then when I went back to eating normally, I had a load of noodles and got sick. Rofl It was so terrible. It was a major hassle for me to juggle the carbs, protein and fat. I put a disgusting amount of olive oil into my salad one time, and couldn't finish it. And then I could only have so much veggies that I was like, "why am I ever feeling bad about being a rabbit?? I mean, screw this teensy bit of brussel sprouts. I want more!" Bullet-proof coffee was yummy though!

I also stopped it because I heard that you end up developing intolerances when you cut out foods or cut back drastically. Like this one guy cut out milk for some reason and then he started getting horribly sick if food had any kind of dairy in it, and then he got a ton of other intolerances and a doctor told him that even if it made him sick, to start having a bit of milk every day- starting with just dipping his finger in it and building up from there. Not sure how true it is- haven't read/heard the story from the guy myself. But I don't have any food intolerances and I sure don't want them!
    Plus- eating in moderation, getting plenty of protein, and exercising worked for me in the past-- so best to leave well enough alone, eh? I don't worry about animals fats either- like butter, whole milk, or bacon grease etc. I'm native american and my ancestors ate a lot of meat, so I find that eating like they did works best for me. Rice, bread, pasta and alcohol, for instance, seem to make me fluffy too quickly, so I try not to have too much of it and I've stopped drinking alcohol for the most part... might have a cocktail once or thrice a year. And not only that, I don't want diabetes. I'm going to get sugar from fruit, treats, etc, so I really don't need to be adding to it with alcohol.

I think keto does work for people. My boss cut out sugar and started eating lots of fat (pork cracklings, yum!!!), and he was steadily losing weight. So good luck!

Oh and I am currently doing IF 18:6- except I'm cheating and having milk in my coffee because black coffee in the beautiful morning is just pitiful.

And as Jennifer Aniston said, "Just don't eat *kitten* all the time." That's been a great quote for me. She was talking about how she still has treats, but just doesn't go crazy. My sister loses weight when she stops eating trashy food.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto although initially I was a bit interested in it so I have not totally dismissed the idea. I always said if I get stuck and need to change it up I will try it out.

I am down 52 lbs and 7 lbs from goal and have not yet needed to try it. I sometimes post pictures of my food or talk about the fruit smoothies I make (shows up on my newsfeed) and many comments come back like "oh I miss watermelon on keto" or "oh that has too many carbs; can't have it on keto but it looks so good".

I no longer feel the need to try keto. All the power to anyone who is using it. It no doubt has benefits. But for the foods I like I can get to where I want with what I have been doing up to this point.

Best of luck with what you choose to get to your goal.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    All foods in moderation, portion control, and daily less calories consumed than burned.
    For me, it is the best road to long term success and easy transition into maintenance when I reach goal.
    Best advice, everyone needs to find what works for them and is sustainable.
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    All I've ever found from drastically cutting anything out of my diet was that I ended up starving and tired! I'd get sick of it after a few days and just eat everything in sight. This time the only major thing I cut out was my pop (soda/coke/what have you.) I started March 1st with 147 lbs. to loose. As of today, I'm down 51 lbs.! I just keep my calories around 1400 and match my carbs and protein. Which usually end up around 80 or 90 of each a day. For instance I have a protein shake (30 g protein) and a granola bar (23 g carbs) for breakfast. I find that I feel fuller longer that way and I have plenty of energy! Find what works for you, and remember to make sure it's something you can maintain. Good luck!
  • kierrakins
    kierrakins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried Keto when I had quite a bit of weight to lose. For me, it was a terrible experience. I know it has worked for a lot of people, but I found that my body couldn't handle it. Even when I was in ketosis I was more tired than usual and couldn't even do a 30 minute workout. I never felt that magical Keto energy or "fog lifting/brain clearing" effect that keto warriors swear by.

I think it depends on your current diet on how well you will do adapting to keto? I tried it for 1-1/2 months but it wasn't sustainable for me since it made me feel so bad. I wasn't use to eating fatty foods, and like you, couldn't get my macros right. I was eating few enough carbs, but the fat macro just wouldn't get near high enough. People were telling me to eat "fat bombs" and that just made me sick.

What helped me the most was just using SOME of the recipes and such that people on keto use. Like cutting out sugar and replacing regular flour with a almond/coconut flour to reduce carbs. After a few months of tweaking, I found that 30% carbs 30% fat 40% protein worked best for my macros and I lost roughly 40 lbs in 8 months. This is because with these macros, I feel satisfied throughout the day and don't have intense cravings and want to binge eat.

So you could try just slowly reducing your daily carbs. Losing weight is mainly based on the calories in/calories out that every one here tries to beat into your head, but a lower carb diet can be very helpful to boost the fat loss if you are doing it in a sustainable way along with your calorie deficit. At least, that was my experience.

TL;DR
    Keto works for some, not for others. Low carb assists in weight loss based on the fact protein and fat make you feel fuller longer than carbs. Try it if you want and if it doesn't work for you or makes you feel bad after a month, don't feel like you have to follow a specific diet to lose weight.