Cutting and going up in weight

I started cutting about 2 1/2 months ago and I decided to keep going up in weight rather than reps and I found that it’s helped me lose more weight faster I’ve lost a total of 20 lbs is this just me or does this work for anyone else?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    It’s all about energy expenditure, while lifting heavy will help retain muscle and strength in a deficit, it is hard to build muscle in a deficit. The reason I say this, is because muscle takes more calories to maintain leading to an increase in BMR, but that would be hard to achieve in a deficit unless you are a newbie or on anabolic compounds. It’s most likely you increased your tdee in some way. When I start cutting I do a power building kind of program. Doing my compounds heavy, then hypertrophy for accessory work
  • ayson9
    ayson9 Posts: 18 Member
    Your body seems like it responds better to higher weights. Keep at it. Some state that higher reps into hypertrophic training correlates to physical muscle growth. But I know for me, I noticed physical and strength growth when it comes to less reps and more weight. But that’s just me. If you can cut down while lifting heavy, that’s a good combo.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    What do you mean go up in weight, you mean with your lifts? From my understanding you should keep aiming to add strength, or at least maintain strength during a cut. Sometimes I add reps but typically I aim for adding weight first for progression. Unless you are weeks away from a bodybuilding competition where I would imagine strength starts to go down.

If you lost 20lbs it is because you were in a calorie deficit. Exercise, including lifting, can add to that but whatever the cause it was burning more than your intake.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    It’s all about energy expenditure, while lifting heavy will help retain muscle and strength in a deficit, it is hard to build muscle in a deficit. The reason I say this, is because muscle takes more calories to maintain leading to an increase in BMR, but that would be hard to achieve in a deficit unless you are a newbie or on anabolic compounds. It’s most likely you increased your tdee in some way. When I start cutting I do a power building kind of program. Doing my compounds heavy, then hypertrophy for accessory work

Look at the OP's user name.

Yep. Steroids/PEDs change the playing field and the rules of the game.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I'm on a pretty robust TRT protocol and I suspect it was more than a little helpful in allowing me to retain the bulk of my gains during a pretty aggressive cut. However, nothing compares to an actual stack/cycle... or maybe OP just likes his Atlas Juice Master? ;)
  • Juice_boi
    Juice_boi Posts: 28 Member
    Lol so no I’m not on any anabolics or PEDs my user name is just a play on my real name hugo which in Spanish sounds like juice. I started going heavier on my three main lifts and that’s when I noticed a difference; my squat went from 315 to 385, bench 225 to 275, and my DL went from 365 to 425. I hope to keep increasing these numbers I’m just scared to add more food to my diet due to the fact that I want to keep losing body fat. My fat % went down from 20 to 17% BF.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Juice_boi wrote: »
    Lol so no I’m not on any anabolics or PEDs my user name is just a play on my real name hugo which in Spanish sounds like juice. I started going heavier on my three main lifts and that’s when I noticed a difference; my squat went from 315 to 385, bench 225 to 275, and my DL went from 365 to 425. I hope to keep increasing these numbers I’m just scared to add more food to my diet due to the fact that I want to keep losing body fat. My fat % went down from 20 to 17% BF.

Sorry, my bad!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

Sorry, my bad!

That's still a huge increase in numbers just from lifting heavier especially after losing close to 2.5lbs a week in the course of two months.

OP what program are you following/how did you add 180lbs to your total in 2 months while in a massive deficit? That is something that needs to be put into a study
  • Juice_boi
    Well it was more like three months really and this is more of an estimate I was on deployment didn’t really have much time to write down the specifics but I did hit the weights a lot harder than I ever have before. My diet consisted of water, chicken, rice and black coffee grinds
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Common misconception for doing volume/high reps for cutting...to a certain extent, it's wise to keep lifting heavy even during a cut (barring injury/strength loss).

Possibly OP just hasn't trained in extremely low rep ranges prior & is unaware of max lifts
    (Not making any accusations of "that there cell tech" or "anabolic chicken"...drama is for high schoolers)
  • jessef593
    Well it was more like three months really and this is more of an estimate I was on deployment didn’t really have much time to write down the specifics but I did hit the weights a lot harder than I ever have before. My diet consisted of water, chicken, rice and black coffee grinds

What why. You're starving yourself of so many things especially being in a cut and upping the intensity of your workouts.
  • Davidsdottir
    edited May 2018
    jessef593 wrote: »

What why. You're starving yourself of so many things especially being in a cut and upping the intensity of your workouts.

I'm wondering how backed up one gets without ingesting fiber and fat...
  • jessef593

I didn't even think about that. Is that the first thing you thought of? "Dang that's a lot of protein and no fibre" haha. I won't make any speculations on here but wow. I just don't see how you have made such substantial progress in 3 months. I applaud you if it's all accurate and true. I've just never come close to that and I'm flabbergasted.
  • Davidsdottir

I didn't even think about that. Is that the first thing you thought of? "Dang that's a lot of protein and no fibre" haha. I won't make any speculations on here but wow. I just don't see how you have made such substantial progress in 3 months. I applaud you if it's all accurate and true. I've just never come close to that and I'm flabbergasted.

I have a very "healthy" digestive system...multiple times a day... so, yeah, first thought LOL
  • Juice_boi
    edited May 2018
    Well I’ve seen guys do a lot more than me I’m not even near that level that those guys are at but yeah I usually just do about 3-4 sets of 3 reps or less until I reached my max for my mains plus other regular exercises and this was on my off time but on my on time we ran 3 miles every morning at 0500 for the first month then “high intensity workouts” about 3 times a day or “getting messed for stupid people” and I did eat broccoli and other greens but for the most part I ate what I said.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Are you asking if keeping the intensity on the bar and reducing volume on a cut works better for one?

I think so, because the heavy weight/compound lifts are effective for maintaining muscle mass while it's easier to stay in a deficit without super high volume workouts.
  • jessef593
    Well I’ve seen guys do a lot more than me I’m not even near that level that those guys are at but yeah I usually just do about 3-4 sets of 3 reps or less until I reached my max for my mains plus other regular exercises and this was on my off time but on my on time we ran 3 miles every morning at 0500 for the first month then “high intensity workouts” about 3 times a day or “getting messed for stupid people” and I did eat broccoli and other greens but for the most part I ate what I said.

So you max out your main lifts every training session? Whilst In a deficit.. and have added over 150lbs to an already impressive total in 3 months. While training 3 times a day. Alright haha. So either you're the most genetically gifted young man on the planet. Or...

But yes I find that higher intensity is better for my cuts but time to recover becomes top priority. Your potential for injury skyrockets while in a large deficit
  • Juice_boi
    edited May 2018
    Wow Lol like I said these are estimates I’m probly off by a lot on the starting point. And I’m not gifted I just put work in and don’t pussyfoot around. Like I said I’ve seen guys go way heavier in weight in less time than me. And stop hinting to something your such a creep, miss me with that weird s#%t
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Wow Lol like I said these are estimates I’m probly off by a lot on the starting point. And I’m not gifted I just put work in and don’t pussyfoot around. Like I said I’ve seen guys go way heavier in weight in less time than me. And stop hinting to something your such a creep, miss me with that weird s#%t

Prob cause they're not in a deficit like you.....
    I am confused though by your comments or goals.....no offense, it just sounds like you need to do some research on nutrition and programming.