OH NO! Craving Alert!!!

Options

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    From Foodmatterstv.com. Mike Adams Natural News describes your yummy McNuggets:

Ever wonder what's really found in Chicken McNuggets? Some of the ingredients, it turns out, seem to belong more to an industrial factory of some kind, not a food retailer. According to the McDonald's Corporation, its famous Chicken McNuggets are made with ingredients including:
    Autolyzed yeast extract (which contain free glutamate, similar to MSG),
    Sodium phosphates and
    Sodium aluminum phosphate.
    But that's not the freaky part. According to McDonald's own website, Chicken McNuggets are also made with:
    "hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and
    citric acid added to preserve freshness" and
    "Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent."

At least two of these ingredients are artificially synthesized industrial chemicals. TBHQ, a petroleum derivative, is used as a stabilizer in perfumes, resins, varnishes and oil field chemicals. Laboratory studies have linked it to stomach tumors. "At higher doses, it has negative health effects on lab animals, such as producing precursors to stomach tumors and damage to DNA. A number of studies have shown that prolonged exposure to high doses of TBHQ may be carcinogenic, especially for stomach tumors." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBHQ)

Dimethylpolysiloxane, a type of silicone, is used in caulks and sealants, as a filler for breast implants, and as key ingredient in Silly Putty. Says Wikipedia:

"PDMS is also used as a component in silicone grease and other silicone based lubricants, as well as in defoaming agents, mold release agents, damping fluids, heat transfer fluids, polishes, cosmetics, hair conditioners and other applications. PDMS has also been used as a filler fluid in breast implants, although this practice has decreased somewhat, due to safety concerns. PDMS is used variously in the cosmetic and consumer product industry as well. For example, PDMS can be used in the treatment of head lice..."

Not that the other ingredients are any better. Because cotton is not regulated as a food crop, cottonseed oil may contain chemical pesticides that are banned in food production. It is also almost always genetically modified. Hydrogenated oils, of course, typically contain trans fats, the artificially produced fats that are unusable by the body and that studies have linked to a number of detrimental health problems. And autolyzed yeast extract is a chemical taste-enhancing ingredient containing free glutamate that manufacturers use as a friendlier-looking replacement for MSG.

And what about the chicken in Chicken McNuggets? It's factory-farmed chicken, not free-range chicken. So it's the kind of chicken that's typically treated with vaccines and hormones while being fed conventional feed products that are medicated with pharmaceuticals and grown with pesticides.

Yum!! Don't forget to ask for extra dipping sauce. We haven't even talked about what you'll find in there...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror, if your happy with what you see than go for it. If not don't.
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    can you please help me by giving me a good reason why I should or shouldnt eat that crappy crap food?!

your thighs.

haha. Good one!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

For me it's not the gigantic amount of calories/fat/sodium that is in it...it's the fact that their food is BAD for you. The amount of hormones that is pumped into their meat...it's mind blowing.
    There are hormones in standard meat at grocery stores. There's sodium in just about any food we eat. Your daily oxygen is contaminated with industrial smoke and waste.
    It's edible. Occasional eating of foods you like WON'T kill you. Geez, if the chemical composition was so bad, then I should have died long ago since I've been eating McDonalds' consistently since 1970.

I don't eat McDonalds (and haven't in a few years). I think the food is incredibly greasy, tasteless, full of calories and it makes my tummy hurt. So, I avoid it. If someone else wants to eat it - great. But, *I* choose to NOT eat it. If I'm gonna waste 1000 calories on one meal - I'm gonna make sure it tastes delicious and won't make me have the runs afterward.

But, that's just ME.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodfacts.com/food/Chicken Sandwiches/McDonald's Crispy Chicken Sandwich /5080
    ^^Your sandwich, I presume?

http://www.foodfacts.com
    Just check out the ingredients list on your favorite crave items. Read about why some of those ingredients are controversial. Then make an educated decision about what YOU want to do with your health and your body. I don't smoke, but if someone else wants to slowly kill themselves---that's their decision. They know the consequences. Most people DON'T know what is in their favorite foods.
    People under estimate how efficient our bodies are. Think about this: Thousands of years ago we ate food that wasn't treated and had shorter life spans. Today we eat food that's treated and live longer. Now granted that health care is better, but
    chemicals are in EVERYTHING we have today. You have a higher chance of getting in a car accident and dying than dying from fast food.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Dont consider things "cheating" or bad because of cravings. Sometimes cravings tell us something that our body wants/needs. If you completely cut stuff out, you will feel deprived and that then proceeds into binge eating. Binge eating is BAD! Just look at it realistically and be rational about it. What is good for others, is not necessarily good for you!
  • princessk735
    princessk735 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i need to lose 50lbs to .. my baby is 7 months
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Apples work for me. Sometimes when I get a crazed junk food hunger attack I'll counter attack with apples and water. It works 8-10 times. When it doesn't work I'm so full of apples and water that I simply don't consume much junk food. McDonald's is a no no. Just remind yourself how much gym work you'll have to do to burn it off. 5 minutes of McDonald's = 1 1/2 hours at the gym......not worth it.
    Cheeseburger -300 calories. For me that's an extra 20 minutes of cardio. It's worth it to me.
    OKAY! Well that's just YOU.
    Everyone is different. If you want to eat those cheeseburgers, go ahead.
    But don't try to make us sound wrong because we don't want that stuff in our system.
  • Lsqueezy
    Lsqueezy Posts: 128
    Options
    Now I want a twinkie. Ha ha.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodfacts.com/food/Chicken Sandwiches/McDonald's Crispy Chicken Sandwich /5080

Just check out the ingredients list on your favorite crave items. Read about why some of those ingredients are controversial. Then make an educated decision about what YOU want to do with your health and your body. I don't smoke, but if someone else wants to slowly kill themselves---that's their decision. They know the consequences. Most people DON'T know what is in their favorite foods.
    People under estimate how efficient our bodies are. Think about this: Thousands of years ago we ate food that wasn't treated and had shorter life spans. Today we eat food that's treated and live longer. Now granted that health care is better, but
    chemicals are in EVERYTHING we have today. You have a higher chance of getting in a car accident and dying than dying from fast food.

Why are you arguing with people about fast food? If someone doesn't want to eat because of the calories, sodium, chemicals - it is THEIR body and THEIR choice. Stop arguing with them and trying to change their mind. If you want to put it in YOUR body, GREAT. But, stop trying to convince other people to do the same thing. Every single one of us makes choices based on what we feel is best for our own body. I hate when people try and convince me to change my mind because THEY do it differently.

Wanna eat McDonalds once a week? Good for you. Go right ahead, but stop trying to tell these other people they have a better chance of dying in a car accident than from fast food.

THEY ARE CHOOSING TO NOT EAT IT (for whatever reason). You are badgering them about their choices. It's pushy and annoying. Stop. No one is telling YOU what to do, STOP doing it to everyone else. I don't care about all the fine print in your signature or what you've done, don't do, etc.

*I* know what *I* feel is best for *MY* body and it isn't to fill it with empty calories that make me feel like crap for hours afterward!
  • Lucy1421
    Lucy1421 Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong in expressing individual opinions. What doesn't help one may help another. I for one, LIKE McDonald's and since I used to go there and get an extra value meal and now if I go get a small cheeseburger and MAYBE a small fry that's still a MUCH better choice. And for me it makes me not feel deprived of the things I want. For another it might be a fun-sized Milky way instead of a Big sized. I am eating WAY healthier than I was. I feel better and my blood pressure is down. It's different for everyone.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options

Actually, I think that most people grossly overestimate how efficient our bodies are. Why is the cancer rate in the USA 1 in every 2 people if we are SO efficient? That's right: 50%. We eat things that were grandfathered in (meaning that they DID NOT have to pass rigorous safety standards) OR that were fast tracked through the safety regs by slick labeling all the time. Me---I have Celiac's. So, my body is NOT efficient at handling grains or dairy or soy or most chemicals. MSG gives me terrible migraines and makes me generally feel like crap. By taking control of my life (meaning food, exercise, and every day decisions) I'm shooting to be in the group of Americans that doesn't wind up with cancer.

I unfriended you, because you make these kinds of blanket statements about nutrition in fast food and try to force them on other people. I am not trying to force anyone else to eat paleo. It worked for ME, but clean eating and whole grains may work for you. Everything in moderation isn't great, because it encourages us to continue to eat these things that might be causing cancer, immune problems and birth defects/issues. Check out the youtube video in my signature if you want to know more about how the food supply in the USA has changed since the early 90s. Then check out the growth rates of Autism, Parkinson's, MS, Bipolar disorder, Cancer, Celiac's, Diabetes, and other auto-immune disorders. Watch them climb from the 90s to today, and tell me that we're not poisoning ourselves by eating this crap.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why are you arguing with people about fast food? If someone doesn't want to eat because of the calories, sodium, chemicals - it is THEIR body and THEIR choice. Stop arguing with them and trying to change their mind. If you want to put it in YOUR body, GREAT. But, stop trying to convince other people to do the same thing. Every single one of us makes choices based on what we feel is best for our own body. I hate when people try and convince me to change my mind because THEY do it differently.

Wanna eat McDonalds once a week? Good for you. Go right ahead, but stop trying to tell these other people they have a better chance of dying in a car accident than from fast food.

THEY ARE CHOOSING TO NOT EAT IT (for whatever reason). You are badgering them about their choices. It's pushy and annoying. Stop. No one is telling YOU what to do, STOP doing it to everyone else. I don't care about all the fine print in your signature or what you've done, don't do, etc.

*I* know what *I* feel is best for *MY* body and it isn't to fill it with empty calories that make me feel like crap for hours afterward!
    No what's annoying is all the "healthy" people talking about how bad fast food is when there is just as many chemicals in foods in the grocery store. Get facts straight. The OP talked about a craving. I gave her a suggestion. Then all the "healthy" people come out of the woodwork making statements about "ooh how bad McDonald's is bad, gross, poison" etc.
    Face the facts people. If you're overweight it's because you overate calories.
    I'm not trying to convince people to eat McDonald's, I'm saying that all this BS about how bad foods are that aren't bought in a grocery store is no different than a lot of the food that you do buy there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually, I think that most people grossly overestimate how efficient our bodies are. Why is the cancer rate in the USA 1 in every 2 people if we are SO efficient? That's right: 50%. We eat things that were grandfathered in (meaning that they DID NOT have to pass rigorous safety standards) OR that were fast tracked through the safety regs by slick labeling all the time. Me---I have Celiac's. So, my body is NOT efficient at handling grains or dairy or soy or most chemicals. MSG gives me terrible migraines and makes me generally feel like crap. By taking control of my life (meaning food, exercise, and every day decisions) I'm shooting to be in the group of Americans that doesn't wind up with cancer.

I unfriended you, because you make these kinds of blanket statements about nutrition in fast food and try to force them on other people. I am not trying to force anyone else to eat paleo. It worked for ME, but clean eating and whole grains may work for you. Everything in moderation isn't great, because it encourages us to continue to eat these things that might be causing cancer, immune problems and birth defects/issues. Check out the youtube video in my signature if you want to know more about how the food supply in the USA has changed since the early 90s. Then check out the growth rates of Autism, Parkinson's, MS, Bipolar disorder, Cancer, Celiac's, Diabetes, and other auto-immune disorders. Watch them climb from the 90s to today, and tell me that we're not poisoning ourselves by eating this crap.
    Sorry don't buy it. Weight has a lot to do with sickness. The same foods in the US are sold all over the world and cancer rates are lower in Asian countries where sodium is higher and regulation of chemicals is moot compared to the US. Obesity in America is the issue for the cause of sickness.
  • FabCheeky
    Options

No what's annoying is all the "healthy" people talking about how bad fast food is when there is just as many chemicals in foods in the grocery store. Get facts straight. The OP talked about a craving. I gave her a suggestion. Then all the "healthy" people come out of the woodwork making statements about "ooh how bad McDonald's is bad, gross, poison" etc.
    I'm not trying to convince people to eat McDonald's, I'm saying that all this BS about how bad foods are that aren't bought in a grocery store is no different than a lot of the food that you do buy there.

My food is bought as single ingredient items. As organic as possible. I make all of my food from scratch. I don't buy anything in a box. Nope, the food that I buy doesn't have that crap in it.
  • FabCheeky
    Options

Sorry don't buy it. Weight has a lot to do with sickness. The same foods in the US are sold all over the world and cancer rates are lower in Asian countries where sodium is higher and regulation of chemicals is moot compared to the US. Obesity in America is the issue for the cause of sickness.

That's where you are wrong. Until recently, there were no GMOs sold in Europe at fast food chains. Their food is different tasting and feeling than ours is. Not saying that the calories are better---just the chemical composition. US food has more MSG than any food in the world. Do some research and check it out.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options

NO. What's annoying is that you're being so mean & brash about it.
    THAT'S WHAT IS SO ANNOYING.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OKAY! Well that's just YOU.
    Everyone is different. If you want to eat those cheeseburgers, go ahead.
    But don't try to make us sound wrong because we don't want that stuff in our system.
    I'm not telling people to eat McDonald's! I'm debunking some of the paranoia of how people think that everything out there is poison. It's just not true. If you don't like McDonald's fine. But don't demonize it because you don't like it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My food is bought as single ingredient items. As organic as possible. I make all of my food from scratch. I don't buy anything in a box. Nope, the food that I buy doesn't have that crap in it.
    And that's great. Are you absolutely sure that your food has absolutely no chemicals in it? Unless it was checked at a lab, I don't think you could verify it.
    Honestly, it good you eat that way. I eat well 80% of the time. But 20% of the time I'll eat whatever I want. Life's too short to not enjoy with "bad" food in moderation.
  • FabCheeky
    Options
    And that's great. Are you absolutely sure that your food has absolutely no chemicals in it? Unless it was checked at a lab, I don't think you could verify it.
    Honestly, it good you eat that way. I eat well 80% of the time. But 20% of the time I'll eat whatever I want. Life's too short to not enjoy with "bad" food in moderation.

I don't eat bad food. I do have treats made from high quality ingredients from scratch that are high calorie and scrumptious. I continue to lose FAT and increase muscle while drinking my gourmet hot chocolates, eating steak and bacon and homemade coconut milk ice creams, and enjoying all a vast array of gorgeous colorful veggies. You can't equate the possible chemicals in my food to the MASSIVE quantities of chemicals in the food that comes in crinkly bags, cardboard boxes and drive through windows. You just can not.