PHAT?? Can anyone explain the program to me and how to do it at home?

I have a pretty extensive home gym - complete dumbbell set from 5lb all way to 100's.
Pull up bar, horizontal parallel bars, bench, Barbell with 400lbs. So I have most of the stuff I would need to do the routine except I don't fully understand the program..

Things I'm missing (Squat Rack, knee extension/leg curl machine)
I can do Squats with Dumbells and/or hack squats with the bar, and replace knee extensions with a quad focused exercise like Bulgarian squats, I'm not sure how simulate leg curls maybe use the plyo box and parallel bar to do hanging leg curls.

but overall my biggest question is the program. Is there one? I've downloaded a couple of excel files people have put together. I'm just not seeing how the program is supposed to progress.

So it just a guideline for an example week and you progress in weight as you are able to? Is there any point where you change the routine? Am I missing something? Is there another link other than the simply shredded that I need to go to?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Never done PHAT, but stopping in because I'm surprised to hear bulgarians called a quad-dominant lift. I feel it's way more glute-centric.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Never done PHAT, but stopping in because I'm surprised to hear bulgarians called a quad-dominant lift. I feel it's way more glute-centric.
    Well you're right it definitely hits the glutes pretty hard, but if you lean more forward you get more quads.
    But in general I'm looking for ideas for more quad centric and hamstring centric exercises as I don't have those machines. Also, dumbbell squats tend to hit the glutes more as well. So yeah I could use a dumbbell exercise that isolate quads a little more.

But meanwhile still trying to understand the basics of the program, I like the concept of it just not sure how the program is supposed to run.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I always feel it in the quads unless I really lean forward, even still. Most squats are classified as quad dominant as far as I know.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited May 2018
    Have you seen this write-up? It's by Layne Norton and he explains the program a bit.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

or is this the one you already read?

He does talk about plateaus and deloads. Progression, like all programs is going to be based on ability to complete all sets at the upper limits of each rep range.
  • mutantspicy
    edited May 2018
    ^Of course. I put together a program based on this article that I could do at home with mostly dumbells, But I wasn't sure if there is anything more to it. A lot of programs, will have you put in a 1RM and it will prescribe your weight progression over say 12 weeks, obviously you make adjustments to that based on results, but I'm not seeing anything like that with this. Is it basically just simple guideline and then progress your weight as you get stronger?
  • Davidsdottir
    sardelsa wrote: »

I always feel it in the quads unless I really lean forward, even still. Most squats are classified as quad dominant as far as I know.

Really?! My glutes must seriously be firing then!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I feel my glutes more when I do rows vs most squats haha
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

It all depends on how far your front foot is from the bench (specifically, the bench where your back toe is placed).

If your front foot is rather close to the bench, then it is a more knee-dominant move and that will place the brunt of the work on your quads.

If your front foot is further away from the bench, then it is a more hip-dominant move and that will place the brunt of the work on your glutes/hammies.

See? There ya go! :-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105

For *most* people, squats - and, let's be clear about this....there are front squats and there are back squats - are generally quad dominant. Sure, you squeeze your glutes on the way up....but the brunt of the work - for *most* people - is handled by the quads.

Definitely the case for Front Squats. Well, maybe - maybe not. But, for sure - fack squats and front squats hit the quads pretty hard, but each hits different parts of the quads.

And, bio-mechanically everyone is different. So, for some - their glutes may do a lot of the work.

It also depends on how far apart your feet are, how deep you go and and and.

Hip-Thrusters are likely one of the best exercises for very focused (er, isolated) glutes work.

Does that make sense?
  • Davidsdottir
    edited May 2018

For *most* people, squats - and, let's be clear about this....there are front squats and there are back squats - are generally quad dominant. Sure, you squeeze your glutes on the way up....but the brunt of the work - for *most* people - is handled by the quads.

Definitely the case for Front Squats. Well, maybe - maybe not. But, for sure - fack squats and front squats hit the quads pretty hard, but each hits different parts of the quads.

And, bio-mechanically everyone is different. So, for some - their glutes may do a lot of the work.

Hip-Thrusters are likely one of the best exercises for very focused (er, isolated) glutes work.

Does that make sense?

I'm actually very aware and do a variety of squats and hip thrusts for that reason. My comment honestly was only in regard to Bulgarians.

ETA I've been lifting for many years, not a newbie. Did I just get mansplained? LOL
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited May 2018
    @Davidsdottir - if that is how you received it, then - yes! :-)

But, that does not mean that is how I sent it! :-) :-)
  • Davidsdottir
    @Davidsdottir - if that is how you took it, then - yes! :-)

It was a great post, I just took the, "does that make sense?" to be a bit patronizing. I'm sure that wasn't your intent.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited May 2018
    No, ma'am! I often include that - in general - because I tend to use 10,000 words where 125 would suffice. So, since I know myself I ask that question. I never - at least it is never my intent - try to patronize anyone with anything. Put me in a conversation with Greg Knuckles and Eric Helms. I would just listen and not dare say a word. But - no.....no patronizing in my intent or in my spirit.
  • Davidsdottir
    No, ma'am! I often include that - in general - because I tend to use 10,000 words where 125 would suffice. So, since I know myself I ask that question. I never - at least it is never my intent - try to patronize anyone with anything. Put me in a conversation with Greg Knuckles and Eric Helms. I would just listen and not dare say a word. But - no.....no patronizing in my intent or in my spirit.

I figured as much. My apologies for getting defensive!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Hey! Hey! We will have none of that @Davidsdottir!~ No need to apologize (but, totally accepted....). All good! I do look forward to more discussion. I love to talk (as my "10,000 words when 125 would suffice" comment would attest!). And I love to help people.
  • Davidsdottir
    Hey! Hey! We will have none of that @Davidsdottir!~ No need to apologize (but, totally accepted....). All good! I do look forward to more discussion. I love to talk (as my "10,000 words when 125 would suffice" comment would attest!). And I love to help people.

At least I got two woos out of it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    I did not even notice that. I am not sure that I know if a 'woo' is a good thing or a bad thing? I am guessing that it is a bad thing? Sarcasm, Sheldon? Right? :-)
  • mutantspicy

Does that make sense?

I agree with all of this. I will say dumbell squats (parallel hold), because of the way you keep your knees back hinge at the hips to push the glutes back, you get a lot more activation in the glutes than you do with a back squat. You also get a good glute activation with sumo goblet squats, but yes hip thrusts are king for glutes.

But Thank you for pointing out front squats, That may just be the accessory lift I'm looking for. Ideally to follow this routine I would do it with a traditional back squat, but I really don't have the space for a squat rack currently.

I still want to hear from someone who has ran through this routine, to get an idea of how others have progressed thru. From what I gather week 1 is testing the waters, 2 thru 4 is working thru the routine without going to failure, finding your weight, after that its pushing the envelope trying to up your lifts as much as you can on strength days. I like the concept two low volume heavy weight strength days and 3 hypertrophy pump days. But I'd like to hear from anyone who has done it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Leg curl can be done with a bench, single dumbbell (tricky at first)
    Alternative: glute hamstring raise/Nordic curl/Russian curl - need to stabilize the ankles with a barbell or something heavy (side of power cage, or bench, etc.).

Other leg curl alternative (hamstring slide) on wooden floor or slick hard floor: lay down on slick floor with a towel under the heels - curl heels towards glutes using the towel (can be done single legged too)
    0dh8n95f4i5p.png

v4ikqqdbicwi.png
  • mutantspicy
    edited May 2018
    Leg curl can be done with a bench, single dumbbell (tricky at first)
    Alternative: glute hamstring raise/Nordic curl/Russian curl - need to stabilize the ankles with a barbell or something heavy (side of power cage, or bench, etc.).

Other leg curl alternative (hamstring slide) on wooden floor or slick hard floor: lay down on slick floor with a towel under the heels - curl heels towards glutes using the towel (can be done single legged too)
    0dh8n95f4i5p.png

v4ikqqdbicwi.png

I opted for feet elevated hip bridge with 60lb dumbell today. I don't have the leg curl strength for the lying down glute ham raise. Gives me something to work towards. I can do it on ham raise bench which I don't have, something about the leverage lying down its way harder. I do however have an area of slick floor to try the hamstring slide that might be more doable.

Thanks!