PHAT?? Can anyone explain the program to me and how to do it at home?

Options
2»

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I ran PHAT last fall during bulking. I'd say it took about 2 weeks of playing around with the weights to figure out where I needed to be. A lot of that was due to the shorter rest breaks for the power days and the even shorter rest breaks for the hyper days.

Once I got the weights figured out the rest of that cycle, the 2nd 4 week cycle was just getting conditioned to keep the pace. Lots of huffing and puffing going on.

It wasn't until the 3rd cycle that I started increasing weight or reps. Like jumping 10lbs on hack squats and lower the reps down, then, once I got all the required reps (and didn't feel like dying, lol) bump the weight and repeat.

I will point out that (for me) there is no way I could run this in a deficit, too much volume and intensity (plus I'm 48). Bulking, yes, maintenance, probably.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the program and will run it again next fall. Made some good size and strength gains.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have played with the idea of running PHAT and/or PULL at some point. But, have never done it. Yet. I do like the idea of "playing with the weight" at first. If you have never done this sorta thing then you will likely guess wrong and regret it.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    I have played with the idea of running PHAT and/or PULL at some point. But, have never done it. Yet. I do like the idea of "playing with the weight" at first. If you have never done this sorta thing then you will likely guess wrong and regret it.

Very true. I have most of my logs from lifting and used the weights from the last round of 531 as a basis for figuring out what to use. From there I looked at the volume and backed off, probably more than I needed to, but it set me for getting it right. I'd rather back off too much and build back up than to go overboard and set myself up for failure.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Agreed! I tend to do the other way......hell yes I can handle this. Then I miss several months of gym time. Hey, that idea is not working so well. Let's find another way. I believe the answer is called "loose the ego"! Something like that. I am 51....been an athlete all my life (with a few years break). Still do pretty dang good for an old man. But, hey - who cares? Learning to be smarter than to bull rush everything. Lots of other folks do similar. I just am at the point where I am tired of playing with nutrition (vs. being in the gym!).
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I ran PHAT last fall during bulking. I'd say it took about 2 weeks of playing around with the weights to figure out where I needed to be. A lot of that was due to the shorter rest breaks for the power days and the even shorter rest breaks for the hyper days.

Once I got the weights figured out the rest of that cycle, the 2nd 4 week cycle was just getting conditioned to keep the pace. Lots of huffing and puffing going on.

It wasn't until the 3rd cycle that I started increasing weight or reps. Like jumping 10lbs on hack squats and lower the reps down, then, once I got all the required reps (and didn't feel like dying, lol) bump the weight and repeat.

I will point out that (for me) there is no way I could run this in a deficit, too much volume and intensity (plus I'm 48). Bulking, yes, maintenance, probably.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the program and will run it again next fall. Made some good size and strength gains.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it and It is very helpful. I'm coming off a really high volume hypertrophy program that I created using my own modified version of Body Beast (got rid of the weird stuff and used the pacing and set structure). That routine is dumbbell centric lower weight but way more reps, I turned it into a 6 day 2xPPL split. So volume won't be an issue for me. For the me the struggle is the power days. I'm not used to doing pure strength lifting and I have to get used to longer rest cycles and upping my intensity. Its been a long time since I've done this kind of lifting. Its going to take me a cycle or two to find my weight and improve my grip strength to do the heavier loads.

It appears you did 4 week cycles? Did you alternate the main lift within each cycle or did you change the main lift after each cycle?

So I'm planning to alternate between Deadlift / Squat / Front Squat for lower. and Flat / Incline / Shoulder press for upper. The question is how long to stick with each lift, I'm thinking 3 to 4 weeks per lift.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    To the "how long" question - I would answer (somewhat generically) with this: as long as you are making respectable advances. Lifting heavy is much different from hypertrophy. Living in the 5rep range is a different beast! I am having a difficult time now in the 8 - 12 rep range. Anyway....your different parts of your program might answer that question.

Or, is that what you are talking about? And, do you have a "deload" week built-in (or, as I think might be a good idea....a somewhat auto-regulation "deload" week when you feel the need)?
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    To the "how long" question - I would answer (somewhat generically) with this: as long as you are making respectable advances. Lifting heavy is much different from hypertrophy. Living in the 5rep range is a different beast! I am having a difficult time now in the 8 - 12 rep range. Anyway....your different parts of your program might answer that question.

Or, is that what you are talking about? And, do you have a "deload" week built-in (or, as I think might be a good idea....a somewhat auto-regulation "deload" week when you feel the need)?

The PHAT program itself isn't super defined its more of a concept it seem open to a little interpretation. His other programs seem more defined. But this one is a good starting point for me to get back "real" lifting and not just heavy weight circuit training. So yeah I'm kinda trying to define what the program and cycles are going to look like for me. Rereading the article several times and talking to you guys and gals is helping me to put it together.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Awesome. I know that Layne Norton might just know a thing or two about all things heavy! Glad that you are getting back at it! And that we are able to help.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    on the leg curl: deadlifts (esp. stiff-legged) get the hamstrings pretty well.
    Squats definitely get my quads almost universally.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    on the leg curl: deadlifts (esp. stiff-legged) get the hamstrings pretty well.
    Squats definitely get my quads almost universally.
    DL's and Squats are my primary lifts, I was looking to fill in the accessory lifts. I put in RDL's for the hyper trophy session, that should hit the hammies pretty well.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it and It is very helpful. I'm coming off a really high volume hypertrophy program that I created using my own modified version of Body Beast (got rid of the weird stuff and used the pacing and set structure). That routine is dumbbell centric lower weight but way more reps, I turned it into a 6 day 2xPPL split. So volume won't be an issue for me. For the me the struggle is the power days. I'm not used to doing pure strength lifting and I have to get used to longer rest cycles and upping my intensity. Its been a long time since I've done this kind of lifting. Its going to take me a cycle or two to find my weight and improve my grip strength to do the heavier loads.

It appears you did 4 week cycles? Did you alternate the main lift within each cycle or did you change the main lift after each cycle?

So I'm planning to alternate between Deadlift / Squat / Front Squat for lower. and Flat / Incline / Shoulder press for upper. The question is how long to stick with each lift, I'm thinking 3 to 4 weeks per lift.

Main lift did not get switched at all but some of the accessory items did. Here's an example of one week. Power days, main lift 3 mins rest between sets, 2 mins when switching lifts, accessories 75 secs between lifts. I supersetted a lot of the lifts too. Lat pulldown and rows for example. Hyper days were 75 secs rest between sets and between switch lifts.

Upper Body Power Purpose Set Scheme
    Bench Press Power Pushing 4 sets of 3-5 <-set 85% of max
    Lat pull down Assistance Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
    Horizontal Row Auxiliary Pulling 2 sets of 6-10
    Weighted Dips Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
    Pendlay Rows Power Pulling 3 sets of 3-5
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press Assistance Pressing 3 sets of 6-10
    Cambered Bar Curls Auxiliary Curling 3 sets of 6-10
    Dumbbell Skull Crushers Auxiliary Extension 3 sets of 6-10

Lower Body Power Purpose Set Scheme
    Squats Power Pressing 4 sets of 3-5 <-set 85% of max
    Barbell Hack Squats Assistance Pressing 2 sets of 6-10
    Leg Extensions Assistance Extension 2 sets of 6-10
    Deadlifts Assistance Pulling 3 sets of 3-5
    Leg Curls Assistance Curling 2 sets of 6-10
    Standing Calf Raise Auxiliary Calf 3 sets of 6-10
    Leg Press Calf Press Auxiliary Calf 2 sets of 6-10

Back & Shoulders HT Purpose Set Scheme
    Pendlay Rows Speed Pulling 6 sets of 3 <-70% of weight from UBP day
    BOR Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
    Seated Row Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
    Braced Dumbbell Rows Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 12-15
    Close Grip Pulldowns Hypertrophy Pulling 2 sets of 15-20
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 8-12
    Dumbbell Upright Rows Hypertrophy Shoulder 2 sets of 12-15
    DB Side Lateral Raises Hypertrophy Shoulder 3 sets of 12-20

Lower Body HT Purpose Set Scheme
    Squats Speed Pressing 6 sets of 3 <-70% of weight from LBP day
    Hack Squats Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 8-12
    Leg Press Hypertrophy Pressing 2 sets of 12-15
    Leg Extensions Hypertrophy Extension 3 sets of 15-20
    Romanian Deadlift Hypertrophy Pulling 3 sets of 8-12
    Lying Leg Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 12-15
    Seated Leg Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 15-20
    Leg Press Calf Press Hypertrophy Calf 4 sets of 10-15
    Standing Calf Raises Hypertrophy Calf 3 sets of 15-20

Chest & Arms HT Purpose Set Scheme
    Dumbbell Press Speed Pressing 6 sets of 3 <-70% of weight from UBP day
    Incline Dumbbell Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 8-12
    Incline Chest Press Hypertrophy Pressing 3 sets of 12-15
    Pec Deck Hypertrophy Fly 2 sets of 15-20
    Cambered bar Curls Hypertrophy Curling 3 sets of 8-12
    DB Concentration Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 12-15
    Hammer Curls Hypertrophy Curling 2 sets of 15-20
    OTH Rope Tri Extension Hypertrophy Extension 3 sets of 8-12
    Tri Pressdowns w/ Rope Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets of 12-15
    Tri Pulldowns Hypertrophy Extension 2 sets of 15-20

• mutantspicy
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you very much Piper! I see you kinda set it up the way I did. I'm not sure if I can sustain both squat and deadlift on the same day especially on deficit. And also doing heavy dumbell squats and barbell DL's I don't have the grip strength for that yet. So thats why I probably will cycle them as Layne suggested. I guess I will play it by ear. The first 3 or 4 weeks will probably have a number of adjustments until I get into a flow.
  • piperdown44
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you very much Piper! I see you kinda set it up the way I did. I'm not sure if I can sustain both squat and deadlift on the same day especially on deficit. And also doing heavy dumbell squats and barbell DL's I don't have the grip strength for that yet. So thats why I probably will cycle them as Layne suggested. I guess I will play it by ear. The first 3 or 4 weeks will probably have a number of adjustments until I get into a flow.

And that why, at a certain point in the lifting session, I pull out my Versa grips and continue on. I'm not going to let a fatigued grip impact the rest of my posterior chain or pulling movements.
    Just wish I had bought the medium size instead of the large.

Oh, and those deadz were only at 70% due to fatigue from squats.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

And that why, at a certain point in the lifting session, I pull out my Versa grips and continue on. I'm not going to let a fatigued grip impact the rest of my posterior chain or pulling movements.
    Just wish I had bought the medium size instead of the large.

Yeah, I got burned on the sizing of the Versa's myself. I ended up getting a pair of Cobra Grips and frankly, I think they are better. Better adjustability and they just seem like they support my wrists much better.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Ahh! That makes sense.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I may be late to the party, but you could try doing some banded hamstring curls/leg extensions. With heavy enough bands you can make them challenging in the 10-15 rep range.

Requires a little space and something to tie the band to. The hamstring curls could be done seated or while laying on your stomach.

I usually get my bands from eliteFTS.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »
    I may be late to the party, but you could try doing some banded hamstring curls/leg extensions. With heavy enough bands you can make them challenging in the 10-15 rep range.

Requires a little space and something to tie the band to. The hamstring curls could be done seated or while laying on your stomach.

I usually get my bands from eliteFTS.

I definitely thought of that. I don't have anything setup for that right this moment, I definitely can put that together pretty easy just need better bands. Its a good alternative on hypertrophy day especially.

For now I have a plyo box and Row Bar for body weight rows. I'm gonna put some weight on my lap feet on the box and do hanging leg curls tomorrow. I've not tried hanging leg curls with weight before. It should work its basically rack chins but lifting with the legs instead arms. If doesn't work out, I may just go with banded option next week.