Does my diary look ok

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    On a cursory look your food choices look fine.

@WinoGelato has given you the answer that you SHOULD have been looking for.

If you're at the lower end of overweight now, or worse, normal weight, 1lb a week may be getting to be too fast.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not terrible, may want to get familiar with the produce aisle though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    Seems like you have an awful lot of big deficits. I'd ask what your results have been, but it looks like you've only been logging for a week. If after a month or so you find you're losing weight faster than you should, or sooner if you find yourself unusually fatigued or unable to continue your workouts, you should consider reducing that deficit (either by eating more, exercising less, or a combination of the two.

Been logging since January actually averaging about a 1lb a week had some days off and put weight back on so would have been more if not

Oh, OK. I went back until I a day about a week ago that had nothing logged, so I assumed that was the beginning. Averaging 1 lb a week seems reasonable, assuming you're actually overweight. If you're a healthy weight already, you might want to add a couple hundred calories a day to reduce your loss to a half pound a week.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rdl81 wrote: »
    Fixed it for you

This is why I don’t post on here OP asked for comments on food diary I say I don’t think garlic bread and chips are best food choices for the kcal.

I am well aware of the if it fits your macros concept

@angelsja if your happy with what ur doing keep doing it.....you asked for feedback so assumed you was not happy.

As for the Fitbit and adjusting kcal I can’t see how kcal goal would vary by 900kcal a day seems like to much to me unless your doing some serious training as I say I work out kcal separately and use this app to track them keeping exercise as consistent as possible that works for me

OP is using a FitBit which is a total activity tracker and the large adjustments she’s seeing are representative of the fact that she had her activity level set lower than her true activity is, since she averages >15K steps a day and is burning 2300 or so cals/day but has her activity at Sedentary (I presume) and goal at 1200 (or so) then she gets big adjustments, which she’s afraid to eat back even though she’s been told repeatedly on threads just like this that it’s ok to trust that data and that perhaps by eating more calories consistently she wouldn’t be so tempted to binge and then extremely restrict her intake on subsequent days....

As I said I am not commenting on food choices anymore as it would seem my contributions are not adding any value to the debate here.

I am genuinely interested in how activity adjustment works and the OP diary gives great example . I assume you need to wear it all the time to be effective? so would you expect some sort of daily adjustment each day? What sort of activity would get you an additional 1,400 kcal. If you exercise three times a week would you bump your kCal intake up on those days and by that much? I often wonder how much kcal I burn in exercise so have considered getting a tracker but I am not sure how I would use that information.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Fixed it for you

This is why I don’t post on here OP asked for comments on food diary I say I don’t think garlic bread and chips are best food choices for the kcal.

@angelsja if your happy with what ur doing keep doing it.....you asked for feedback so assumed you was not happy.

As for the Fitbit and adjusting kcal I can’t see how kcal goal would vary by 900kcal a day seems like to much to me unless your doing some serious training as I say I work out kcal separately and use this app to track them keeping exercise as consistent as possible that works for me

OP is using a FitBit which is a total activity tracker and the large adjustments she’s seeing are representative of the fact that she had her activity level set lower than her true activity is, since she averages >15K steps a day and is burning 2300 or so cals/day but has her activity at Sedentary (I presume) and goal at 1200 (or so) then she gets big adjustments, which she’s afraid to eat back even though she’s been told repeatedly on threads just like this that it’s ok to trust that data and that perhaps by eating more calories consistently she wouldn’t be so tempted to binge and then extremely restrict her intake on subsequent days....

As I said I am not commenting on food choices anymore as it would seem my contributions are not adding any value to the debate here.

I am genuinely interested in how activity adjustment works and the OP diary gives great example . I assume you need to wear it all the time to be effective? so would you expect some sort of daily adjustment each day? What sort of activity would get you an additional 1,400 kcal. If you exercise three times a week would you bump your kCal intake up on those days and by that much? I often wonder how much kcal I burn in exercise so have considered getting a tracker but I am not sure how I would use that information.

I average walking 2 hours ever morning with the dogs then 30min in the afternoon + T25 in the evenings yes you are supposed to wear it all the time on days I don't walk as much or do T25 (weekends) I don't eat as much. I average between 1500-1700 calories a day
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fixed it for you

It depends on the activity. Fitbit is a reasonable activity gauge for step-based movements, not so much for other types of movement (like weight lifting, cycling, swimming...etc). Depending on what kind of exercise you do predominantly, you may or may not benefit from a tracker outside of day to day movement that isn't deliberate exercise.

Fitbit can over-estimate the calories for some people, especially those who don't have their stride length set up correctly and those who are using the models that track heart rate and have an atypical increase in heart rate in certain instances. In that case (in fact in all cases) it's best to look at your weight loss trend to see how many calories to eat back. And in all cases, it's better than not eating back any exercise calories and underfueling.

For the average overweight person, a 1400 calorie adjustment is about 4-6 hours of step-based activity. Some of it can be deliberate and the rest can be just day to day movement (some people are just constantly on their feet even outside of exercise time).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It depends on the activity. Fitbit is a reasonable activity gauge for step-based movements, not so much for other types of movement (like weight lifting, cycling, swimming...etc). Depending on what kind of exercise you do predominantly, you may or may not benefit from a tracker outside of day to day movement that isn't deliberate exercise.

Fitbit can over-estimate the calories for some people, especially those who don't have their stride length set up correctly and those who are using the models that track heart rate and have an atypical increase in heart rate in certain instances. In that case (in fact in all cases) it's best to look at your weight loss trend to see how many calories to eat back. And in all cases, it's better than not eating back any exercise calories and underfueling.

For the average overweight person, a 1400 calorie adjustment is about 4-6 hours of step-based activity. Some of it can be deliberate and the rest can be just day to day movement (some people are just constantly on their feet even outside of exercise time).

I agree 100% with your discussion except for the highlighted part.

The activity tracker adjustment replaces the activity level you've declared to MFP with the activity level that your tracker detects.

Thus, the adjustment size depends on what you're adjusting from.

For the exact same level of activity, adjusting from sedentary yields a much different number than adjusting from very active.

As to expected adjustment size, it helps me to think of things like this:

MFP sedentary (1.25x bmr) tops out for most people by 5,000 steps if not before
    MFP lightly active (1.4x bmr) tops out for most people by ~8,000 steps if not before
    MFP active (1.6x bmr) tops out for most people by ~12,000 steps if not before
    MFP very active (1.8x bmr) tops out for most people by ~16,000 steps if not before

For most people a moderately paced steady state walk, "for exercise", exceeds 100 steps per minute.

Trying to fit your 1400 Calorie adjustment to an "average overweight person" I would think of it as being *at most* 0.8x BMR, thus *at most* 16,000 steps, thus less than 3 hours of moderate steady state step based activity.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is interesting.....I work at desk 12 hrs day and my "activity" is when I exercise, give that I don't think such a tool would be of benefit to ME. I would like to know how much Kcal certain workouts I do burn I guess a heart rate monitor would be needed for that though and probably not worth the expense
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I agree 100% with your discussion except for the highlighted part.

The activity tracker adjustment replaces the activity level you've declared to MFP with the activity level that your tracker detects.

Thus, the adjustment size depends on what you're adjusting from.

For the exact same level of activity, adjusting from sedentary yields a much different number than adjusting from very active.

As to expected adjustment size, it helps me to think of things like this:

MFP sedentary (1.25x bmr) tops out for most people by 5,000 steps if not before
    MFP lightly active (1.4x bmr) tops out for most people by ~8,000 steps if not before
    MFP active (1.6x bmr) tops out for most people by ~12,000 steps if not before
    MFP very active (1.8x bmr) tops out for most people by ~16,000 steps if not before

For most people a moderately paced steady state walk, "for exercise", exceeds 100 steps per minute.

Trying to fit your 1400 Calorie adjustment to an "average overweight person" I would think of it as being *at most* 0.8x BMR, thus *at most* 16,000 steps, thus less than 3 hours of moderate steady state step based activity.

That estimation was MET-based. I find it a little bit hard to believe that slow to moderate pace walking could produce more than 400 net calories an hour, especially for women, although I'm not against the idea that it could. Since the adjustment is for eating back, you would be working with net not gross.