Frustrated with my shape :(

Options
Sorry, this is going to be a teen-girl-type whine (I'm quite far from a teen lol), but I have to vent somewhere. Had a mini meltdown at Target today thinking that after 6 weeks of lifting and trying to recomp, I was ready to try on bathing suits. I wasn't. Turns my out mirror at home is quite a bit more flattering than full-on lights in the fitting room. I felt awful.
I'm just frustrated because I feel it's party my actual skeleton that's creating that shape I dislike. I somehow feel both terribly bony with all the ribs sticking out, doesn't help that I'm completely flat on top, and at the same time really wide in the torso and flabby all over love handles and legs. I'm realizing that I have a really short torso, my hipbones come up super high and my ribs very low and there's no space for a real waist in between them. And starting to wonder just how much difference I can really make with just diet and exercise. Ugh. Sorry, just annoyed.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I think most of us are way harder on ourselves than we should be. I don't see any of the things you're pointing out about yourself.. not as flaws, at least. I would LOVE to look like you.. I know, maybe not super helpful coming from someone needing to lose a lot of weight, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be envious of your body. You're working on building the muscles you want.. Muscles build SO slowly. You're on the right track, though, so keep at it and try to love yourself as you are and as you will be.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I see a waist. It's a bit higher due to your body shape, but it's definitely there and nothing to complain about!

That's a really cute suit, but try on several different styles. The style, cut, and shape of the suit itself makes a huge difference. Try a higher waist bottom or one with higher cut in the leg, etc.

You look great! Just like regular clothes you have to find the style and shape of suit that flatters your specific body.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I see a waist. It's a bit higher due to your body shape, but it's definitely there and nothing to complain about!

That's a really cute suit, but try on several different styles. The style, cut, and shape of the suit itself makes a huge difference. Try a higher waist bottom or one with higher cut in the leg, etc.

You look great! Just like regular clothes you have to find the style and shape of suit that flatters your specific body.

I tried on a whole bunch, this was actually the least horrible of them lol. The others were way worse. Also tried on some one pieces which were pretty terrible too :/
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. The suit isn’t flattering, it’s not right for your body shape. I’m positive you can find a bikini that looks awesome on! You have a nice figure and be proud of the work you’re putting in. Dressing rooms are the worst and everyone looks better in the sun.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »

I tried on a whole bunch, this was actually the least horrible of them lol. The others were way worse. Also tried on some one pieces which were pretty terrible too :/

Doubtful. We are all our worst critics and I think you're being WAY too hard on yourself! When you look at yourself in the mirror respond to the image as you would a friend or even a stranger. It sounds odd, but it works.

You certainly don't need to cover up but they do make some really cute cover-up skirts if that would make you feel better. Either way, find something you're comfortable in and OWN it.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Swimsuit shopping is *horrible*! Buy the best one you can find, then flaunt that beautiful body on the beach! You have a very nice waistline, exposed bone at the hip which gives a slender appearance and great legs. I promise you will love yourself more after you see others at the beach. Sure, someone will always look better, but to some people you are the one that looks better! Embrace what you have and love every bit of it! ((ok, the pep talk is over))
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While your shape mostly comes down to genetics and how your muscle and fat is distributed, you can change that to an extent with muscle building. You can create an illusion of a smaller waist with larger lats and glutes for example.

The thing about recomp, while it is great, it can be slow (so 6 months is not a lot of time).. and being so lean as you seem to be, changes can be very minimal and in some cases less optimal (obviously not impossible, but results will vary). It will depend on your ultimate goals of course what you want to do.

Also the suit.. maybe if you go for something more high cut, different top style. Also if you go to a bikini shop where the lighting is better ! Bad lighting can be really discouraging no matter the body shape.
  • nettiklive
    Options
    charms3155 wrote: »
    Do you tan? I would tan, I feel that just a slight tan makes everything look better. BTW I think you look great, but it is true we are our own worst critics.

Unfortunately I just burn, badly, and with my super white skin and tons of moles, I stay out of the sun as much as possible as I'd prefer not to get melanoma. I suppose I could try a spray tan but I've been afraid of it looking overly fake
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You look great, girl! I'm in kinda the same situation as far as being very short-waisted. You are way leaner than me, though. Also, Target swimsuits are all pretty ill-fitting and they have THE most unflattering dressing rooms (imo).
  • nettiklive
    edited May 2018
    Options

You certainly don't need to cover up but they do make some really cute cover-up skirts if that would make you feel better. Either way, find something you're comfortable in and OWN it.

I have a ton of cover ups, skirts, shorts, tankinis, swimdresses, you name it. I have no problem masking problem areas and making myself look decent to others. But at the end it's still hiding and being self-conscious, and I really just want to get to the point where I could just wear a regular bikini and know that I look fantastic in it with no covering, however I'm not sure if that will ever happen :(
  • Elfinnyx
    Elfinnyx Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! You absolutely do have a waist - a beautiful one at that. I do see what you mean about feeling bony, maybe go for something more mix and match and have a longer top? Show off your flat abs and your lovely legs. If that's you in bad lighting, you're going to look fabulous on the beach.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It's the suit, not you.

I agree with this.

While what matters most is your own opinion, OP...I absolutely think 99.9% of people (male and female) who see you in any swimsuit are going to be thinking "dang, she is so fit/ripped/perfect looking". Even if your body might not look exactly how you would prefer...you look better than a lot of fitness models.

That suit though. I don't think the bottom part is bad at all but the top is just not a good shape. It would be better on someone who is really trying to detract from their mid-section and has a different body type.
  • Renonelarock
    Renonelarock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The way you described yourself vs the picture is night and day . You have a poor self image , you are gorgeous and rocking that suit :)))
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body is the problem. The bikini is unflattering on your body shape, which has in turn altered your perception of yourself@home mirror vs Target mirror and lighting.

Would you consider a monokini instead of a bikini? One that strategically covers your ribs and accentuates your hip bones rather than spotlight them, yet showing a peek-a-boo around your belly button. Something like the attached pic.

29m8zts.jpg

Dang! That is CUTE!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Black duct tape could make that suit^^^
    A save a few bucks and perfect for hair removal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's the suit, not you. I would try elsewhere for a suit. Try on a few that you don't particularly like on the hanger, even. I've discovered quite a few outfits that I like on me but when I saw them on the hanger thought "there's no way."