Fasting during Ramadan?

Options
Hello :D

I'm looking for people who are fasting during the month of Ramadan.
I always think I would lose weight during this month, but end up gaining weight!!!
It would be awesome to have some friends to support each other during this month, share tips, and stay healthy!

AND, if anyone has tips about eating one meal a day, I would love to receive some :))

Ramadan Kareem!

Replies

• RulaAsaad
    RulaAsaad Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I'm not sure how to plan my meal. do I eat all 1000 calories at once?!
    I break my fast around 8 PM. how long should I wait before I go to bed?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're going to eat only 1000 calories? Why? I belive the intention of Ramadan is to practice sacrifice and humility and devotion, but not to starve yourself. And is that what you really do? (You said you were gaining weight.) You can eat anytime you want, when it's allowed. I would guess it's allowed to eat anytime as long as it's not during the daytime? Can you eat twice per 24 hours? That will make everything easier. Divide your allowance into two meals that each have some starch, at least some of it whole grain, some protein, some fat, some vegetables, a little fruit. I'm sure there will be cookies and cakes and puddings and dried fruit and deep fried things? If you eat that, just have a little, and not for every meal. And try to not focus too much on food, but pray, and do good deeds, things like that.
    Options
    Hi , Ramadan Mubarak , it's my first fast today Nd hoping to lose a few more pounds , I've lost 8 pounds in 2 months
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I have two days a year in my religion that we are allowed one meal a day (and no meat on that day) so I can say I've done some fasting, not a whole month, but if you are only eating one meal a day then I prefer the midday meal. I'd certainly eat more than 1000 calories though. I need about 1400 just to keep myself going on a daily basis and if I exercise I need more.
    I would plan on a very protein rich meal each day with carbs, fat, etc. It really shouldn't matter when you eat it though, morning, noon or night. I pick midday b/c that would help me make it through the day easier. You can pray and meditate at night in order to get past the hunger pangs.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem! Feel free to add me!
  • irfan8240
    irfan8240 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey i m fasting. I have a diet plan fir ramdam. If you want i ll share it eith you.

RulaAsaad wrote: »
    Hello :D

I'm looking for people who are fasting during the month of Ramadan.
    I always think I would lose weight during this month, but end up gaining weight!!!
    It would be awesome to have some friends to support each other during this month, share tips, and stay healthy!

AND, if anyone has tips about eating one meal a day, I would love to receive some :))

Ramadan Kareem!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I am not but Ramadan Kareem!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    People can blow through thousands of calories at a meal. I know you probably feast after sun down. Track the feast. Just a thought.
  • velvetgtr
    velvetgtr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First Ramadan counting calories and I'm trying to get 1500 in in one setting. I don't know if that's good or bad. 1500 has been phenomenal for my weight loss but it's usually spread out throughout the day.
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    Are you sure you're going to eat only 1000 calories? Why? I belive the intention of Ramadan is to practice sacrifice and humility and devotion, but not to starve yourself. And is that what you really do? (You said you were gaining weight.) You can eat anytime you want, when it's allowed. I would guess it's allowed to eat anytime as long as it's not during the daytime? Can you eat twice per 24 hours? That will make everything easier. Divide your allowance into two meals that each have some starch, at least some of it whole grain, some protein, some fat, some vegetables, a little fruit. I'm sure there will be cookies and cakes and puddings and dried fruit and deep fried things? If you eat that, just have a little, and not for every meal. And try to not focus too much on food, but pray, and do good deeds, things like that.

Nooo I'm not starving myself. i don't need more than 1000 calories (52kg, 155cm). I do try to eat as healthy as i can and keep in mine my macros. I can eat between 8PM and 4AM, which would be enough if I didn't go to sleep around 10 PM and woke up at 6AM.
    As for sweets, almost don't consume any those days, because I kow if I would start, I wouldn't stop eating.
    I guess I'm pretty scared to gain weight this time :(
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    Hi , Ramadan Mubarak , it's my first fast today Nd hoping to lose a few more pounds , I've lost 8 pounds in 2 months

Good luck with it :D I do feel like it's a good chance for us to really think of what we are eating and putting in our bodies, and if we do it right, we will be healthier :))
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    irfan8240 wrote: »
    Hey i m fasting. I have a diet plan fir ramdam. If you want i ll share it eith you.

I would love that! :D
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Assalamu alaikum wr wb. Ramadan Mubarak. Have you tried prelogging your meals? I do what fidangul is doing, although I try to find the easiest things to eat for sahoor (vs cooking at that time of the early morning). My eating time is shorter than yours (and it gets shorter every day). You can do this :)
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    People can blow through thousands of calories at a meal. I know you probably feast after sun down. Track the feast. Just a thought.

Yep, I can easily cover my calories for the day in one sitting, but is it healthy? and what if I can't? which is a struggle for me after fasting for so many hours
    I guess I'm just looking for some sort of rules to help me do it right
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Salam!! The last couple of Ramadans I’ve been logging as usual. Just think of Sahur as breakfast and Iftar as dinner. Technically you’re breaking fast at Iftar but I have my traditional breakfast type stuff for sahur and dinner type stuff for dinner. Then I have snacks and nibbles (if I fancy it) any time in between. I managed to maintain well the past 3 Ramadans. Logging is (WAS) key though. Anyway Ramadan Mubarak!!!

This is great! Thank you so much. how do you feel after having Suhur then going back to sleep?
    I feel like i shouldn't be going to sleep right away, but if I'm waking up at 3.30 to have suhur, i do need few more hours of sleep
  • RulaAsaad
    Options
    velvetgtr wrote: »
    First Ramadan counting calories and I'm trying to get 1500 in in one setting. I don't know if that's good or bad. 1500 has been phenomenal for my weight loss but it's usually spread out throughout the day.

I tired getting to 1000 calories in one setting and it was too much. maybe because it was healthy?
    i feel like i would either eat healthy food and not reach my calories, or reach it by eating lots of oils- and I DO NOT want to get back to that