Burning 5000 calories a day?

Options
NGentRD
NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
So that's what everything I do on average adds up to this past week. I really don't want to eat more. Im eating about 2500cals/day. So, for all you CICO folks. This is going to be nuts right?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would suggest burning 5000 calories a day will increase your fitness but reduce your health. If you don't need to exercise that amount it would be advisable to not.

Plus it's not even about CICO that's the issue. Training at those levels will be flooding your body with cortisol. Even if you were eating enough calories to negate the calories out, cortisol will still be eating away at your lean mass - not good.
  • NGentRD
    Options
    So that's what everything I do on average adds up to this past week. I really don't want to eat more. Im eating about 2500cals/day. So, for all you CICO folks. This is going to be nuts right?

I would suggest you post what you think you're doing that's good for 5K calorie burn per day(average). You're probably no place close to that.

weight: 250 lbs
    1-2 hours of lifting
    20000-25000 steps/day
    working 13 hours (digging, landscaping, concrete work)
    20-30 min run

did a manual calculation and a fitness tracker one about 4800-5100 calories
  • NGentRD
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    What are doing each day to average 5000? How are you calculating that?

You don't want to eat more because... what is your goal?

Can't stomach it. No room in fridge to do more meal prep. Plus on IF days, it would be hard to get about 4500 cals in a day.
  • NGentRD
    Options
    If you’re really doing that every day, you would be losing an average of 5lb a week. (Not really sustainable!)
    If this is not the case then either your intake is more than you suggest or your burn is lower than you think. (Probably the latter unless you’re some sort of elite sportsperson in training).

Well just college football! But the majority of burning comes from my job, I have two and I'm either walking, digging or something that requires me to move I sit and sleep for about 7 hours/day
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Can't stomach it. No room in fridge to do more meal prep. Plus on IF days, it would be hard to get about 4500 cals in a day.

How fast have you been losing? What are your goals?

Are you limiting the types of foods you eat? You can make high calorie smoothies if need be. Opening up your eating window can help too.
  • NGentRD
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Do/would you allow yourself "junk" foods? IMO, 4000 cals is pretty easy if you allow yourself more calorie-dense foods... and there are some damn good calorie dense "junk" foods out there.

Well im actually trying it today. im also in ketosis, so i want to slowly do things like take in more carbs, protein, fats and distribute it properly so i dont kick my self out. it's going to take some trial and error but i obviously dont want to lose 5 lbs in a week. Im good with 1-2 and even 0 some weeks. I've lost 3 in the past week but it's only been 1 week and not enough time for me to determine that it will be an every week thing. ive lost 5 pounds of fat on a caloric surplus just from my composition changing but also gained 2 of muscle plus water

wow i say week a lot.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    This is me during my bulking stages. Have to take it up to 5-6k a day. Gets tiring lol
  • NGentRD
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Are you limiting the types of foods you eat? You can make high calorie smoothies if need be. Opening up your eating window can help too.

so long story but ill try to keep it short.
    Novemeber 2017 265 went on a lower carb diet
    Jan 2018 I was 255. stress plus poor diet and Im from canada so a trip to florida meant olive garden and all the fun american places. plus a 2 day car trip of no excersise. I ended up going up to 293 in a very short time.
    march 3 292, started keto again but now i had time and money to really focus on it. First week I lost 14 pounds second week I lost 10 and its been much more linear since id say april 1st because im now 251 (~17 pounds in 2 months). i want to get to 230 so I can compete in a lower class for powerlifting.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I would suggest you post what you think you're doing that's good for 5K calorie burn per day(average). You're probably no place close to that.

1-2 hours of lifting
    20000-25000 steps/day
    20-30 min run

So that's a 2500 calorie burn. in addition to 2500 BMR.

That's a lot more reasonable.

You should try to get to 3000-3500 at least if you're going to sustain that level of effort.

Especially if you plan to continue to be competitive in powerlifting.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

1-2 hours of lifting
    20000-25000 steps/day
    20-30 min run

If you use MFP to set your goal choose the most active. Log your exercise and eat at least a portion of those calories.
    With your size and activity you are going to have to eat more to fuel your body.
    Eat more calorie dense foods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

If you don't want to eat so much be less active.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jan 2018 I was 255. stress plus poor diet and Im from canada so a trip to florida meant olive garden and all the fun american places. plus a 2 day car trip of no excersise. I ended up going up to 293 in a very short time.
    march 3 292, started keto again but now i had time and money to really focus on it. First week I lost 14 pounds second week I lost 10 and its been much more linear since id say april 1st because im now 251 (~17 pounds in 2 months). i want to get to 230 so I can compete in a lower class for powerlifting.

So you are trying to do rapid weight loss? How fast do you need to get to 230?

How are you able to sustain your activity level/work and powerlifting? You probably won't for very long.

To get more calories in, you don't need alot of fridge room. Peanut butter will do the trick.

• NGentRD
    Options

How are you able to sustain your activity level/work and powerlifting? You probably won't for very long.

To get more calories in, you don't need alot of fridge room. Peanut butter will do the trick.

I consume about 750mg caffeine/day. My energy levels are always high, especially the more weight i lose. Its easier moving and doing daily activities, 40 pounds lighter. Peanut butter is a good idea tho. I was told that my workouts would suffer from keto and fat loss but they really haven't. I don't know if I am just lucky or what I really do not know. All I've had to do is change the way I train but my lifts and numbers are not suffering. I'm hitting the same SBD at 252 then I was at 290, and i'm pretty sure that isnt normal and no I am not juicing or anything.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I consume about 750mg caffeine/day. My energy levels are always high, especially the more weight i lose. Its easier moving and doing daily activities, 40 pounds lighter. Peanut butter is a good idea tho. I was told that my workouts would suffer from keto and fat loss but they really haven't. I don't know if I am just lucky or what I really do not know. All I've had to do is change the way I train but my lifts and numbers are not suffering. I'm hitting the same SBD at 252 then I was at 290, and i'm pretty sure that isnt normal and no I am not juicing or anything.

Sounds like burn out might be in your future. But good luck with all of that and your power lifting competition.