Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Has Global Health and Wealth Increased or Decreased?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "Nearly 51 million households don't earn enough to afford a monthly budget that includes housing, food, child care, health care, transportation and a cell phone, according to a study released Thursday by the United Way ALICE Project. That's 43% of households in the United States."

"For instance, in Seattle's King County, the annual household survival budget for a family of four (including one infant and one preschooler) in 2016 was nearly $85,000. This would require an hourly wage of $42.46. But in Washington State, only 14% of jobs pay more than $40 an hour."
    money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/economy/us-middle-class-basics-study/index.html

Ok, just did the math. The Standard calculation for working hours per year is 2080. By my math that's 40 an hour. with a single wage earner. If you've only got 1 working adult in the home, you don't need to pay child care, which reduces the COL by 15-35K. So now you're looking at 50-70K and 24-35 dollars an hour. Or one adult at full time in the 20-25 an hour range and the other working nights or weekends part time.

As someone who lives in Seattle with a family of 4 I can do that "survival" breakdown for myself.

housing: $3200/mo (includes insurance, tax, utilities, basic maintenance)
    Food: $1200/mo (could definitely spend less)
    Child care: $2500/mo
    transportation: $250/mo (includes parking, insurance and gas)
    health care: $200/mo (subsidized by employer)
    Cell phone: $110/mo

So that is $7460/mo or $89,500 per year. That is what take-home, not salary, needs to be. So slap an extra 25% to account for taxes and you are up to a household of more than 110k to basically just cover food and bills. It is most certainly expensive to live here.

By the way I am not claiming I don't have luxuries or that I am merely "surviving" I make enough to be comfortable...that said my "survival" amount came out to much more than what was given in the article. I just am giving a real world example