How often do you treat yourself?

Options
Heyy yall!

So what is everyone opinion on treats and cheats? Usually i have one day a week where i dont track. Most of the time its a saturday night dinner. Today my bf wants to go to the movies and i want to go but its SO HARD to resist the pretzel bites. So far with my calories today they fit in just fine but then I always have a fear of what if MFP isn’t giving me the correct calories? I saw pretzel bites at 150 cal and I saw pretzel bites at 800 cal so really I’m not sure which ones would be the correct option. I tried finding the calories online-no luck. Anyway, do you all completely avoid treats until cheat day? Or do you incorporate them. I always get so much anxiety when people want to go out and do things especially when it’s around food that I usually just end up not going because I’m sick of seeing slow progress or none at all. I want to just keep dropping and dropping and just feel good about myself already so i hate making mistakes! (So impatient). Usually on a day like today when I know I’m going to the movies I would work out to burn the calories that I might eat and pretzel bites later but I’m currently suffering from a back injury so working out is not an option :/ (currently sitting with heating pad and electrodes on my back).

Whats everyones opinions here?!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think it is going to be a bit different for everyone and what works.

For me, I do one of three things. I either incorporate a small treat in everyday, or I make lower calorie substitutions to satisfy the craving or I indulge (usually on the weekend or special occasion).

For example, if I am craving a hamburger and fries, I can make a more calorie friendly version of it myself at home.. either have a small full fat one with a few fries, or a large one with leaner meat, maybe half a bun and baked potato. OR.. I can wait to go to my favourite burger place (not just any regular burger joint) and indulge in the 1500-2000 calories it will entail and plan accordingly.

You have to do what works for you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating. It is a negative concept that, in the past, would make me feel guilty. For the most part everything I want to eat fits within my system. If I go outside that system for a meal I chalk it up to life and move on. I have no intention of being perfect each and every day which helps me be more perfect than I have ever been in the past by removing the stress.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If it is something that will derail my eating for days or weeks, I generally try to avoid it - maybe around a major holiday.

If it is just a higher calorie day, I do that frequently. If hungry, I'll eat more. If I'm not hungry, I try not to eat more - it's not as enjoyable then.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Every Friday I treat myself. That maybe going record shopping, or going out for sushi or last week I got a massage this week I'm thinking pedicure / facial and a trip to the bar. I'm awesome I deserve rewards so do you! Treating is not Cheating we all are working hard on our goals we deserve rewards for that. One trip to the Italian restaurant isn't going to kill your diet.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Anything that I view as "cheating" always leads to weeks and month off from caring and discipline... so I've gotten to the point where I don't allow myself cheat anythings.

I do work on my daily food selections to get the most possible enjoyment as possible out of my calories and macros. For me, that has proven to be a good happy medium.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I try not to look at it as a cheat. I've learned what lower calorie sweets I really enjoy (like Halo Top) and work a nice meal out every so often into my weekly deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    While losing, I logged everything. Sometimes I ate over my goal calories, occasionally way over my goal calories, but not very often. (I'm now in year 3 of weight maintenance.)

If you (generic you) log everything, you can decide whether going over goal is worth it or not. As an example, if you're losing a pound a week on average in practice, you're at a 500 calorie daily deficit. Eat 500 calories over goal one day, it delays reaching ultimate goal weight by one day. Eat 1000 calories over goal, it delays reaching UGW by two days. Worth it sometimes, not others.

If you (still generic you) don't log over-goal days, you may join those who come back to post "Not losing!!! Why???". Uncontrolled cheat or treat meals/days can wipe out your whole weekly deficit. If you don't log them, you don't have the data to figure out whether that's what the plateau problem likely is.

It's an individual choice, though.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Movie theater popcorn is the one snack I find hard to avoid. I want it and will stop at nothing to get it lol. So what I usually do is ask for a small, light on the butter, and try not to finish it all (which happens nearly every time since a small is HUGE). If you want the pretzels, I say go for it. Just log it. If you wanna make up for the excess calories, just cut 50 calories off your remaining days of the week and you'll make up for it. Don't beat yourself up over the treat. It's ok to indulge here and there. I usually go out with friends on Saturday night and try not to obsess over the calorie counting as much. And you know what? I don't feel deprived and life carries on.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have a treat every night. Usually ice cream. I always save up calories and make sure I at least hit my fat/protein goals.

Cheats though? Not at all. I'm not cheating on anything. If I want something, I work it in.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I plan things in, but also have some days where I don't worry about what I'm eating because I know I'm burning a crazy amount of calories that are basically impossible to track (track days and races for me). There's just no way to really get an idea of my calorie burn, but as long as I don't completely eat like total crap all three meals a day, I will not put on weight from those days.

That being said, I plan one day a week for pizza. I do a thin crust to trim back on calories (not a crust fan anyways) and enjoy away. Occasionally it's replaced with a meal out with friends.

It's planned into my week. There's no way in one meal I could undo everything when I'm already planning in a 1100 calorie meal ;)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week or month depending on the cost. On Friday I am getting a facial. I don't myself with food, I treat with presents to me: facial, pedicure, a new eyeliner, sometimes it's something very small, sometimes something big.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I find having a treat even every day can work as long as you’re still under your calorie goal. You can do this by just having a small portion of something delicious.

There was a time when treated myself to a cookie every day and still lost weight probably because I wasn’t having a lot of cookies. It can be very tempting to overeat treats because they’re so yummy! But if you’re eating a nutritious diet it’s much easier because you’re basically satisfied. You just feel like a treat. That works for me.

As for going to the movies. If you really want the pretzel, maybe try splitting it with somebody. It would cut down on the calories dramatically and you wouldn’t have to deprive yourself.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I try to 'treat' myself every day with every meal.
    I 'cheat' myself when I don't log, don't care, and don't know why.

The easiest thing about my losing weight was giving up the movie theatre food. When you think about it, that is a lousy place to dine or snack.

I agree with all of this. I make sure everything I eat is stuff I love. I won't waste calories on any food I don't absolutely love.

I rarely go to the movies (just can't sit still that long) but if I do I don't eat there. I'm sitting still not doing anything for 2+ hours. I certainly don't need any extra "fuel" for that.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

The easiest thing about my losing weight was giving up the movie theatre food. When you think about it, that is a lousy place to dine or snack.

I agree with all of this. I make sure everything I eat is stuff I love. I won't waste calories on any food I don't absolutely love.

I rarely go to the movies (just can't sit still that long) but if I do I don't eat there. I'm sitting still not doing anything for 2+ hours. I certainly don't need any extra "fuel" for that.

Can I ask about this statement? You're not the first I've seen say something similar, and it always elicits a bit of a side-eye response from me.

That sounds really idealistic to me. Maybe it's just that my tastes/preferences are a bit skewed, but do you really love chicken and broccoli as much as you love pizza and bacon cheese burgers? Or whatever "healthy" food you want vs whatever "junk" food...

If I ate only foods that I loved, could I hit my calorie and macro goals? Probably. But the amount of food I'd be eating would be so small that I'd eventually cave and give in to my need for greater quantity/volume of food. I would imagine that overall nutrition would suffer as well. So I balance foods I love with foods that I don't mind.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs or something, but are people really able to eat an entire diet of foods they "love"?

I'm not trying to be snarky... and if it comes off that way I apologize. But I think enjoying what you eat while managing intake is really important to long term success, so I do think this point is worth flushing out.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Can I ask about this statement? You're not the first I've seen say something similar, and it always elicits a bit of a side-eye response from me.

That sounds really idealistic to me. Maybe it's just that my tastes/preferences are a bit skewed, but do you really love chicken and broccoli as much as you love pizza and bacon cheese burgers? Or whatever "healthy" food you want vs whatever "junk" food...

If I ate only foods that I loved, could I hit my calorie and macro goals? Probably. But the amount of food I'd be eating would be so small that I'd eventually cave and give in to my need for greater quantity/volume of food. I would imagine that overall nutrition would suffer as well. So I balance foods I love with foods that I don't mind.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs or something, but are people really able to eat an entire diet of foods they "love"?

I'm not trying to be snarky... and if it comes off that way I apologize. But I think enjoying what you eat while managing intake is really important to long term success, so I do think this point is worth flushing out.

I would say I love things like broccoli, romaine lettuce, garbanzo beans, and apples, so it's true for me that I could easily stay within my calorie goal eating only things that I love (and trying new things that I think I could love).

Don't get me wrong, I also love craft beer and guacamole and chocolate frosting, so my process of choosing meals is more complex than "If I love it, eat it!" I'm balancing what I know about the calorie content of a food, my needs, and how I know it will impact satiety.

A diet based solely on the principle of eating what I love would be a disaster. But when I factor that into planning balanced meals that meet my calorie goals, it works well for me.