One year, 95 pounds and a new hip

Options
kelley4avon
kelley4avon Posts: 20 Member
I'm not sure how I even did it to tell you the truth. It felt like I was at war with myself almost every day. I just wanted to mindlessly eat to take away my worries, or boredom, especially at night, but reality had set in. I needed a hip replacement and they wouldn't do it because of my weight. The doctor's exact words were "I would never do a hip replacement on someone of your size". I didn't even realize I was that big. Seriously. I was so mad at that doctor so I went and saw a second and then a third. Guess what? I was so overweight and it took THREE doctors to get it through my head. I was going to end up in a wheelchair or I was going to have to lose weight, so the choice was really made for me. I couldn't exercise because of the pain, so I cut my calories to 1,200 a day and did floor exercises my physical therapist gave me to get me stronger. I just had my hip replacement 5 weeks ago today. I'm sore, but I'm walking and exercising every chance I get. Food, and my weight, will always be a struggle for me, but I know how strong I can be now. I feel pride in that strength. That's worth more than any number on a scale.

Replies

• beckylop2018
    beckylop2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow! what a great accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself. It is a daily struggle keeping watch over the food we eat, but you did it! I have a friend that had hip surgery also. Gentle yoga helped her flexibility. It took a year, but she is doing great. Keep up the great work!
  • kelley4avon
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My "what do you mean?" moment was when my doctor said "your blood sugars don't look great" and I went "Oh yeah, I had the bloods taken way later in the day than I should have, so they'll be low" and she just looked at me with her I'm sorry eyes and said "No, mate, that's not what I meant. I'm going to need you to take a proper glucose test, because these are high". It was a slap in the face - stupidly, I think I was in a form of denial where I thought that it wasn't too bad if my blood sugars and cholesterol were still good. I never did take that second test, but I got myself a blood glucose monitor and messed around with my diet until it consistently, every time, no matter what time of day it was, said "you're fine". I test my cholesterol every 3 months and that's doing OK too. Amazing what it takes sometimes - I'm glad we both listened!
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That’s so inspiring, well done. My own weight loss started when an arthritic knee was causing me so much pain and stiffness that life was miserable. I still have s lot of weight to lose but have developed a love of walking and walk and exercise regularly.
  • kelley4avon
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My "what do you mean?" moment was when my doctor said "your blood sugars don't look great" and I went "Oh yeah, I had the bloods taken way later in the day than I should have, so they'll be low" and she just looked at me with her I'm sorry eyes and said "No, mate, that's not what I meant. I'm going to need you to take a proper glucose test, because these are high". It was a slap in the face - stupidly, I think I was in a form of denial where I thought that it wasn't too bad if my blood sugars and cholesterol were still good. I never did take that second test, but I got myself a blood glucose monitor and messed around with my diet until it consistently, every time, no matter what time of day it was, said "you're fine". I test my cholesterol every 3 months and that's doing OK too. Amazing what it takes sometimes - I'm glad we both listened!

So glad you're doing well. Thank you!
  • kelley4avon
    Options
    forruths wrote: »
    That’s so inspiring, well done. My own weight loss started when an arthritic knee was causing me so much pain and stiffness that life was miserable. I still have s lot of weight to lose but have developed a love of walking and walk and exercise regularly.

So happy you're doing better. My hip would hurt so badly that every I wanted to eat I just had to stand up to remind myself why I didn't need to eat.
  • SaraMakingChanges
    SaraMakingChanges Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kelley! I was also living in denial for far too long but finally committed to logging my intake 1 year ago and I've lost almost 100 in that time. Doesn't it feel great? Hello freedom!
  • kelley4avon
    Options
    It does! congratulations, I'm so proud of you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I'm putting off the idea of hip surgery. Scares me some. But I love hearing how others are doing so well after having it done. Thanks for sharing your success story. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!