Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One year, 95 pounds and a new hip

kelley4avon
kelley4avon Posts: 20 Member
I'm not sure how I even did it to tell you the truth. It felt like I was at war with myself almost every day. I just wanted to mindlessly eat to take away my worries, or boredom, especially at night, but reality had set in. I needed a hip replacement and they wouldn't do it because of my weight. The doctor's exact words were "I would never do a hip replacement on someone of your size". I didn't even realize I was that big. Seriously. I was so mad at that doctor so I went and saw a second and then a third. Guess what? I was so overweight and it took THREE doctors to get it through my head. I was going to end up in a wheelchair or I was going to have to lose weight, so the choice was really made for me. I couldn't exercise because of the pain, so I cut my calories to 1,200 a day and did floor exercises my physical therapist gave me to get me stronger. I just had my hip replacement 5 weeks ago today. I'm sore, but I'm walking and exercising every chance I get. Food, and my weight, will always be a struggle for me, but I know how strong I can be now. I feel pride in that strength. That's worth more than any number on a scale.

Replies

• beckylop2018
    beckylop2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Wow! what a great accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself. It is a daily struggle keeping watch over the food we eat, but you did it! I have a friend that had hip surgery also. Gentle yoga helped her flexibility. It took a year, but she is doing great. Keep up the great work!
  • kelley4avon
    Thank you so much!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    My "what do you mean?" moment was when my doctor said "your blood sugars don't look great" and I went "Oh yeah, I had the bloods taken way later in the day than I should have, so they'll be low" and she just looked at me with her I'm sorry eyes and said "No, mate, that's not what I meant. I'm going to need you to take a proper glucose test, because these are high". It was a slap in the face - stupidly, I think I was in a form of denial where I thought that it wasn't too bad if my blood sugars and cholesterol were still good. I never did take that second test, but I got myself a blood glucose monitor and messed around with my diet until it consistently, every time, no matter what time of day it was, said "you're fine". I test my cholesterol every 3 months and that's doing OK too. Amazing what it takes sometimes - I'm glad we both listened!
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 197 Member
    That’s so inspiring, well done. My own weight loss started when an arthritic knee was causing me so much pain and stiffness that life was miserable. I still have s lot of weight to lose but have developed a love of walking and walk and exercise regularly.
  • kelley4avon
    edited May 2018
    My "what do you mean?" moment was when my doctor said "your blood sugars don't look great" and I went "Oh yeah, I had the bloods taken way later in the day than I should have, so they'll be low" and she just looked at me with her I'm sorry eyes and said "No, mate, that's not what I meant. I'm going to need you to take a proper glucose test, because these are high". It was a slap in the face - stupidly, I think I was in a form of denial where I thought that it wasn't too bad if my blood sugars and cholesterol were still good. I never did take that second test, but I got myself a blood glucose monitor and messed around with my diet until it consistently, every time, no matter what time of day it was, said "you're fine". I test my cholesterol every 3 months and that's doing OK too. Amazing what it takes sometimes - I'm glad we both listened!

So glad you're doing well. Thank you!
  • kelley4avon
    forruths wrote: »
    That’s so inspiring, well done. My own weight loss started when an arthritic knee was causing me so much pain and stiffness that life was miserable. I still have s lot of weight to lose but have developed a love of walking and walk and exercise regularly.

So happy you're doing better. My hip would hurt so badly that every I wanted to eat I just had to stand up to remind myself why I didn't need to eat.
  • SaraMakingChanges
    SaraMakingChanges Posts: 178 Member
    Way to go Kelley! I was also living in denial for far too long but finally committed to logging my intake 1 year ago and I've lost almost 100 in that time. Doesn't it feel great? Hello freedom!
  • kelley4avon
    It does! congratulations, I'm so proud of you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Congratulations!

I'm putting off the idea of hip surgery. Scares me some. But I love hearing how others are doing so well after having it done. Thanks for sharing your success story. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!