plateau help - hypothyroid - I am getting SO frustrated.

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A lot of the blank days are days where I have a negative net calories - like may 12, I ran 13.1 miles, burned 3700 for the day, but ate 2200 so I had a 1500 negative net calories according to Fitbit and MFD. So any Sunday (saturday in the case of that race) day would be that type of blank day. There are occasional blank days when I eat the same thing over and over, that I don't log, because I ate that same food the day before and know that it is going to be the same 1200 as the day before. the non-logged days are not over eating days. The only days I went over calorie-wise are logged and you can see how they go above the red line.
    note the two images on may 12- you can see I ate plenty of cals- but my net cals are blank:
    dum6w6m62e72.png
    s0w2hm8d01a2.png

As for my prescription- it DOES take weeks to get it. I went to the MD weeks ago, got my blood tested, got results and as of today I am still waiting for EXPRESS-SCRIPTs to deliver my prescription- they apparently just shipped it today. They took over a week just to process it. I wish I could have just gone to a pharmacy, but they didn't tell me I could simply pick up my first supply at participating walgreens until the last time I called them frustrated wondering WHY they had not processed it yet.

for the first few months after you get thyroid meds your dosage could be adjusted - your doctor should have put it in for you and local pharmacy (unless your insurance precludes that)

BT - you shouldn't have been Dx as hypothyroid without the bloodwork (so that should have been done prior to getting meds prescribed)...i think i must be missing something
  • drockncrisso
    drockncrisso Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was not Dx as hypothyroid until I had blood work done. It took a week for MD to get thru to my insurance company - a week for them to process my prescription and a week to ship. I mentioned this before- but basically- I am allowed under my insurance to get my first 90 days of a prescription at a participating pharmacy, but they neglected to tell me this until they were already taking forever(a week) to process the prescription and I could not, at THAT point switch to a brick and mortar pharm. anyhow... I just got the meds in the mail.. so I’m hoping to notice a difference in the next 6 weeks or however long it takes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was not Dx as hypothyroid until I had blood work done. It took a week for MD to get thru to my insurance company - a week for them to process my prescription and a week to ship. I mentioned this before- but basically- I am allowed under my insurance to get my first 90 days of a prescription at a participating pharmacy, but they neglected to tell me this until they were already taking forever(a week) to process the prescription and I could not, at THAT point switch to a brick and mortar pharm. anyhow... I just got the meds in the mail.. so I’m hoping to notice a difference in the next 6 weeks or however long it takes.

it can take awhile my daughter has been taking meds for over a year and she had to have them upped a few times. she may have to have them upped again,or put on something else as her numbers keep going up.she sees an endocrinologist every 3 months and has blood work done.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

it can take awhile my daughter has been taking meds for over a year and she had to have them upped a few times. she may have to have them upped again,or put on something else as her numbers keep going up.she sees an endocrinologist every 3 months and has blood work done.

ditto - i've been on thyroid meds for nearly 4.5 years now and my dosage still gets tweaked occasionally
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    I'm been on them for decades and they still get adjusted.

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. Took me at least 4 years to figure out the appropriate dose. Just reading your first post only it sounds like you're not eating enough calories. I would focus on getting your thyroid regulated first. I would also check your adrenal function. Stress, over exercising & not eating enough negatively impacts your adrenals. I used to be an endurance athlete. I noticed when I significantly cut back my mileage from 100 miles per week to 40-60 miles per week it was easier to lose weight (eating clean). I still kept walking my dog and run. Now I ride 2-3x a week, Orange Theory 2x week, and run 2-3 X week but I keep the time to a minimal . While my thyroid was out of whack it was difficult to lose weight. Then I had to change my perspective - that weight loss with thyroid issues takes time & now I'm at the point (since my thyroid is regulated) where I'm working out what works and does not work in terms of diet. I pay attention to what causes me inflammation. I had a food allergy test as well and do my best to avoid those items. Take a step back. Fix your thyroid and adrenal glands. Be kind and be patient. Your body is adjusting to not producing enough thyroid hormone.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I became hypothyroid during pregnancy. I gained A TON of weight & the problem wasn’t discovered until 6 months after I’d given birth. I was tracking & weighing accurately & walking miles every day but stayed the same for months until I finally went to the doc with symptoms of extreme tiredness etc. As soon as I began taking medication, the weight began to shift. So I’m guessing it might be the same with you. I don’t think you’re doing anything “wrong” at all. I think that once you start on your tablets, it’ll start to move. Please update later and let us know & good luck! xx
  • BWiley98
    BWiley98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hypo there as well. I just had a large gain and i went back to synthetic from natural. I have already lost almost 10 pounds. These GPs have no idea about the thyroid and how wonky it can make us feel. As long as the levels look good on paper...thats all that matters to them. :/:/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Try cold water therapy!! I was told I had hypothyroid, did it and now, no meds and feel so much better. It is SO easy. Please just try it.
    Hope this works for you :)

Only medication or surgery can help thyroid disorders. If cold water therapy worked for you, then you did not have a thyroid issue. Don't spread this misinformation. This is dangerous advice.

I was going to say this but was afraid it would come off as trying to argue or being rude.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    My daughter has hyperthyroidism and also can not afford to take her pills. She does not have insurance and can not afford to go to the doctor for monthly maitanance and then there is the cost of the prescriptions which can be very expensive. So I understand your pain. Now I do have a suggestion. While most people can eat back the calories they burn you are in a special group who can't. You have to stick more stricktly to a basic diet plan. You need the exercise because your body holds on to the calories you already eat, your digestion is slow and your body is being tricked into not burning the calories you consume. So stop eating back your calories until you learn at what rate you are burning the basic calories you are consuming. Keep logging your exercise but stop eating back the calories. The weight should start coming off. Once you reach a confortable rate of weight loss start slowing adding in more calories on the days you are active. When I say slowly I mean as an example a package of almonds only or some extra chicken at after or a run. Not a whole extra meals that consumes the 1000 calories you just burned. You have hyperthyroidism you have to eat accordingly, you will lose weight slower than others.

unmedicated thyroid can cause a multitude of issues beyond just weight gain - if your daughter doesn't have insurance - she could try reaching out to companies that formulate synthroid/levo - many of them have ways to reduce costs

also if she doesnt have insurance she could contact the state she lives in(if in the US ) and get state help for meds if she makes under a certain amount.also some charities can help with cost of meds and drs appts. many drs offer a sliding scale fee as well.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    My daughter has hyperthyroidism and also can not afford to take her pills. She does not have insurance and can not afford to go to the doctor for monthly maitanance and then there is the cost of the prescriptions which can be very expensive. So I understand your pain. Now I do have a suggestion. While most people can eat back the calories they burn you are in a special group who can't. You have to stick more stricktly to a basic diet plan. You need the exercise because your body holds on to the calories you already eat, your digestion is slow and your body is being tricked into not burning the calories you consume. So stop eating back your calories until you learn at what rate you are burning the basic calories you are consuming. Keep logging your exercise but stop eating back the calories. The weight should start coming off. Once you reach a confortable rate of weight loss start slowing adding in more calories on the days you are active. When I say slowly I mean as an example a package of almonds only or some extra chicken at after or a run. Not a whole extra meals that consumes the 1000 calories you just burned. You have hyperthyroidism you have to eat accordingly, you will lose weight slower than others.

unmedicated thyroid can cause a multitude of issues beyond just weight gain - if your daughter doesn't have insurance - she could try reaching out to companies that formulate synthroid/levo - many of them have ways to reduce costs

also if she doesnt have insurance she could contact the state she lives in(if in the US ) and get state help for meds if she makes under a certain amount.also some charities can help with cost of meds and drs appts. many drs offer a sliding scale fee as well.

i thought about saying that too - but i don't know enough about how individual states approach meds, since i have insurance that covers mine
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    Google the 2B Mindset! It’ll help you lose weight easily and quickly.

. . . from Beachbody.

From the site:

"Best of all, I’ll reveal the one daily habit — so simple and powerful — that it will put you in an instant weight-loss mode, whenever you try it. (You’ll need to plug into the complete 2B Mindset program to get that one!)."

40 videos. Promo video says you don't need to count anything, and you don't need to say no to parties, alcohol, and I forget what-all. Sounds pretty miraculous.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Even at premium pricing this is ~ 1.50 USD/day. Nearly every pharmaceutical company has a financial assistance program in addition to the local/state/federal assistance. I volunteer at a free clinic and we have a dispensary providing medication at no cost.

In regards to your "suggestion" it does not work that way at all. All thyroid does is potentially cause an increased uptake of water weight. It does not inhibit fat loss.