I need to control what I eat. Any tips?

Options
My goal is not only to get under 200 again but to be fit and get in shape. I need to lay off the junk food and salty and carbs. Once in a while is fine but not all the time. Like Sometimes whenever I see my favorite junk food or whatever, my head says, "Get it! I know you want to. It's just some." But my heart says "No. Stay away!" My problem is I get it sometimes and I feel guilty. I move around a lot. I do some Zumba workouts and workout videos on YouTube. I'm trying to get that motivation I had before. I lost weight before, I can do it today. I'm just focusing on getting in shape and being healthy. I feel like I always crave junk food but not all the time. Honest types would be appreciated.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Temptations are everywhere around us, and we are made to feel entitled to overindulge. At the same time, we have strong norms against overindulgence. This conflict creates a lot of stress, including doubt and guilt. It will be easier to have the necessary discipline to not eat too much, if you have balanced, neutral information, and trust in your own ability to make good decisions.

Carbs is short for carbohydrate, which is one of the macronutrients that provide energy/calories. The other two are fat and protein. Many foods that are referred to as "carbs", have just as many calories in the form of fat.

If you eat well, and feel in charge, you will build up resistence to temptations. Balancing nutrition and pleasure is difficult, but necessary. Having some boundaries, some limits for when and how much of what, is a smart strategy.

Your food diary and a food scale are your tools to control what you eat. But you are the one who has to use them, and that's something you have to decide.
  • SunflowerCutie
    SunflowerCutie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What kinds of junk food you usually crave? Some junk foods are surprisingly nutritious if combined correctly, and you can make them yourself to be lower in calories.

Feeling guilty will not get you far, it's best to recognize your likes and preferences and plan for ways to cater to them without adversely affecting your calories or nutrition.

Yeah you're right but what junk foods are nutritious?
  • SunflowerCutie
    SunflowerCutie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Temptations are everywhere around us, and we are made to feel entitled to overindulge. At the same time, we have strong norms against overindulgence. This conflict creates a lot of stress, including doubt and guilt. It will be easier to have the necessary discipline to not eat too much, if you have balanced, neutral information, and trust in your own ability to make good decisions.

Carbs is short for carbohydrate, which is one of the macronutrients that provide energy/calories. The other two are fat and protein. Many foods that are referred to as "carbs", have just as many calories in the form of fat.

If you eat well, and feel in charge, you will build up resistence to temptations. Balancing nutrition and pleasure is difficult, but necessary. Having some boundaries, some limits for when and how much of what, is a smart strategy.

Your food diary and a food scale are your tools to control what you eat. But you are the one who has to use them, and that's something you have to decide.

Thanks. You do have a good point.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I find a routine helps a lot, always eat at the same time, don't eat between meals. Must admit I do break this rule occasionally in social situations, but one bad day is not going to have a great impact and it's easier to get back on track by the end of the week. Hope this is useful :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    What kinds of junk food you usually crave? Some junk foods are surprisingly nutritious if combined correctly, and you can make them yourself to be lower in calories.

Feeling guilty will not get you far, it's best to recognize your likes and preferences and plan for ways to cater to them without adversely affecting your calories or nutrition.

I was going to say well, and succinctly said. But, your follow up post, with the fried chicken breakdown, was awesome.

It is not often we see such a good, detailed explanation of how one can make the food one likes fit into a deficit and fulfill nutritional requirements.

Cheers, h.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Eating a couple of handfuls (or more) of leafy greens 10 minutes before fast food has been shown to slow the passage of the nutrients into your blood stream & through your digestive tract. The research showed it had to be 10 minutes before- not simultaneously.

So sometimes, junk or fast food, feels like a treat. Even calling it a “bad” food can make it feel more special/alluring. Practice the mantra, “there are no good or bad foods- just good or bad portions”
    - as a first step to helping those foods lose their power over you.

If it’s burgers, you can make a delicious burger at home that is healthy/yummy. If it’s French fries, a homemade roasted potatoes or potato hash is yummy but with both you get to control: portion, quality of ingredients, types of oil/fat, and saltiness. You can even add herbs for MORE flavor!

Good Luck!
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My goal is not only to get under 200 again but to be fit and get in shape. I need to lay off the junk food and salty and carbs. Once in a while is fine but not all the time. Like Sometimes whenever I see my favorite junk food or whatever, my head says, "Get it! I know you want to. It's just some." But my heart says "No. Stay away!" My problem is I get it sometimes and I feel guilty. I move around a lot. I do some Zumba workouts and workout videos on YouTube. I'm trying to get that motivation I had before. I lost weight before, I can do it today. I'm just focusing on getting in shape and being healthy. I feel like I always crave junk food but not all the time. Honest types would be appreciated.

I found logging before I eat really helps. This morning I grabbed some nuts at Starbucks ("healthier choice") and logged it before I opened the pack. I am glad because the tiny 50g bag would have clocked in at over ,300cals. Could have had the croissant! I gave the bag away.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ursula130 wrote: »

I found logging before I eat really helps. This morning I grabbed some nuts at Starbucks ("healthier choice") and logged it before I opened the pack. I am glad because the tiny 50g bag would have clocked in at over ,300cals. Could have had the croissant! I gave the bag away.

Except that 300 calories of nuts is WAY more filling than a 300 calorie croissant.

Again, OP, it depends on what you call junk food.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ursula130 wrote: »

Except that 300 calories of nuts is WAY more filling than a 300 calorie croissant.

Again, OP, it depends on what you call junk food.

Completely depends who you are! I would find the croissant more filling than nuts, for sure. On that note, OP, it might be worth paying attention to which macros you personally find the most satiating - are you a volume eater, in which case bulking out your meals with lots of low-calorie veg might help to stave off unnecessary snacking? Do you feel most satiated with a lower volume, higher fat diet? Or are protein and fibre the nutrients that make you feel the most full? For me it's definitely protein, so starting my day with a high protein breakfast and having high protein snacks (e.g. deli chicken, protein shake, quorn stuff) when I get home can really help with the junk food cravings. Plus if you crave salty stuff, a lot of savoury protein-based snacks meet those cravings. Oooh, and things like pickles and kimchi are low-calorie but can sometimes 'replace' salty snacks like crisps, if you're not yet comfortable having high-calorie snacks around lest you overindulge.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

it helps to add my food that i plan eating in my diary. drink water. today i was hungry so had a latte fix - http://rawrevelations.com/latte-fix-vegan-12oz/

sometimes i eat brazilian nuts or almond butter with green apple. my favorite is chocolate mousse (dairy free)
    https://balancedbites.com/content/easy-recipe-dairy-free-chocolate-mousse-pudding/
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It helps me to never eat junk from the bag. I always count it out when I make a choice to eat it. Then I enjoy it. Often I find a bite or two is enough and I don’t need more. Guilt is not a good emotion to go with food. I love to eat. The higher quality food I eat the less I need. I like taste.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Three things made a difference for me. I stopped mindlessly picking up junk food as I went through the temptation stands at every checkout. I just became aware that this was a habit I had developed and with that awareness checked myself every time until it stopped being a habit. Secondly I stopped keeping junk food in the house. If I have that extra effort of going out to the store to buy chips, that usually is an effective check for me. Third, I log everything that goes in my mouth - no more sneaking bites or mindlessly grabbing this or that.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i make rules for myself,i find that easy. no fast food. no snacks or sweets in the house. shop at stores that are not filled with junk food. for example; i quit stopping into my local Dollar General Store...becasue of all the junk food right at the check out. i would get those tiny bite sized twix's. So, i just quit going in there. i also don't eat fried foods and keep cheese out of my fridge. Think of your own rules that cut out the foods that trip you up.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    i make rules for myself,i find that easy. no fast food. no snacks or sweets in the house. shop at stores that are not filled with junk food. for example; i quit stopping into my local Dollar General Store...becasue of all the junk food right at the check out. i would get those tiny bite sized twix's. So, i just quit going in there. i also don't eat fried foods and keep cheese out of my fridge. Think of your own rules that cut out the foods that trip you up.

Also, OP, keep in mind that while restricting like this is great if it works for you but for some people it just doesn't work.

For example if I did what @elisa123gal does and cut all those things out of my diet I would feel overly restricted and would end up bingeing on all of those items. It's great that it works for her and helps her with controlling intake but it's not reasonable for ME so I wouldn't be as successful with that plan.

Instead I choose to find a way to work treats into my day, almost daily. I set myself an 80/20 rule where I try to make sure 80% of my intake is healthy and nutritious homecooked, etc whatever else. and 20% can come from whatever I want, potato chips, poptarts, elephant ears, ice cream, cookies, whatever.

The 80/20 rule has helped me learn to manage my portion sizes and learn moderation of the junk food but still not feel like I'm restricting myself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i log everything.
    i move more...running and yoga.
    i learned to make good tasting food that is healthy too. ex: ginger beef and chicken.

as you get closer to your goal weight, a food scale will be your best tool.