I'm slipping and I need some motivation.

Options
2»

Replies

• rossdarragh
    rossdarragh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I joined slimming world with my daughter to give her support and I really needed that support for mysel too.
    I found the support of the slimming group and my daughter to be a vital importance . However I used this app in conjunction with the group.
    Since reaching my goal I have found it a little too easy to relax my regime. I gained 11.5 lbs in one week on two occasions but quickly lost it again with the support of the group and my daughter.
    Part of my motivation is financial, if I stay within 3lbs of my target weight I remain a free member.
    So if your struggling on your own you could try find support and motivation in group, with friends and here online. It's finding that hook that'll help.
  • gcpower
    gcpower Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is a means to an end, not an end in itself. What is your purpose to being at your 'goal weight'? If you lack purpose that requires daily / weekly attention, the need and waning dedication to maintain that weight gets drowned by competing priorities.

After my first six months of weightloss, I experienced dieting fatigue. I had hit my goal, wasn't as excited as I had imagined and felt generally underwhelmed. I languished directionless for about two months and put some weight on. What saved me was starting a new sport which gave me renewed purpose. Now I strive for new goals which indirectly require me to take care of my fitness and regulate my weight. Good luck with the journey.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes! I slip back and forth all the time! I am just returning after some slipping. I always preach about finding that "reset" button! I love what gcpower said about "competing priorities". It's so true! I start feeling overwhelmed with work, laundry, food journaling, keeping up with the house and lawn, bills, getting in the gym, ect. It all starts to bog me down.
    Sometimes I have to step back and reintroduce myself to my goals. Unplug and let everything reset. Find whatever it takes, a new exercise plan or even a new journal, to get myself motivated again.
    Some people are lucky enough that a healthy lifestyle comes naturally. For Some, it's more of a struggle. Just be kind to yourself and keep on keeping on!
    By the way, you have done GREAT with your weight loss! I know gaining some back is scary, but take a breath and go back to what ever you were doing. If it worked once it will work again! You are Normal!!!! Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tell you, sir, what worked for me was having only one pair of denim jeans I could wear to work, and they were getting tight. I had spent a lot of money buying clothes as I lost weight. I do not want to spend a cent on bigger clothes now.

As I lost I kept the big sizes until I was 2-sizes below. When I got to my lowest, I was in 32 inch jeans. I discared the 36's. As I got lazy and gained I wore the 34's, and when they got tight I awoke to my predicament.

Yes this works. But clothes get worn out and it's pretty easy when you're buying new ones to just buy a size up.

OP, I've been cutting again for 3 weeks. I feel like I'm always hungry. It's definitely not easy!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    In one sense I agree with what a lot of others have said about motivation. You cannot wait for it. But on the other hand, there are ways to increase it for yourself. I'm part of a group that is going through Judith Beck's The Diet Solution workbook together and she says it's important to give yourself lots of credit for all those decisions you make on a daily basis that keep you on track.

I have found this to be very helpful and it really has increased my motivation and kept me on track when the scale wasn't particularly thrilling me. This doesn't mean just rewarding yourself when you have lost or maintained X lbs, but figuring out all the things that keep you on track and making sure to bring those into awareness somehow. I keep a chart in my journal of about 12 things that help me stay within goal and I've learned to give myself credit on the fly so that I'm sort of always rewarding myself. So I guess it's about of focusing on all those NSVs all day long because otherwise it's easy just to focus on all the things we do wrong or how far we are from where we want to be.