Turkey Bacon is a LIE

Options

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Umad?! Do you still believe that the earth is the center of the universe? The moon is really a big block of cheese? Santa Claus?

Agree to disagree. Enjoy taking your cholesterol reducing statins. =)

If I ate as much animal protein as you do, I might be on those statins in another 40 years.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup, turkey bacon is processed floor scrapings basically. They tumble the bones, connective tissues, etc in a giant centrifuge thing that strips the bits and pieces off. It then gets mashed and ground together with some of the organs then washed in lye to disinfect it, then washed and rinsed again. Then formed into "bacon".

Actually it's much more involved but that's the Cliff notes of it. Nasty stuff. Stay away.
    bless your heart, you have cured me of my bacon fetish!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Where I live I can get turkey bacon that has less fat and calories but I still think it is probably worse for me than regular bacon because there is no such thing as bacon on a turkey. Someone just took good healthy turkey meat and processed it beyond all recognition.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Yup, turkey bacon is processed floor scrapings basically. They tumble the bones, connective tissues, etc in a giant centrifuge thing that strips the bits and pieces off. It then gets mashed and ground together with some of the organs then washed in lye to disinfect it, then washed and rinsed again. Then formed into "bacon".

Actually it's much more involved but that's the Cliff notes of it. Nasty stuff. Stay away.

Well and if people read the book "Food Revolution" by John Robbins. .. who started Jamba juice because he refused to take over his fathers business because he saw the health problems that it caused his family growing up and that it was not promoting something healthy. . . You would probably rethink a lot of things when it comes to eating meat. . . .

Fast Food Nation is also another eye opener. . Not saying that I have completely cut out meat yet. . . .but those books really give you cause to think about how our meat is provided. . to us. and how it is processed.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but citing to Mercola makes me go deaf.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

That processing is only done to turkey bacon, not real bacon so it shouldn't cure a fetish to real (and yummy) bacon! :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    DK is correct.

Jade, you must still be under the impression that high cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. Saturated fat is not the cause of clogged arteries. Please do your research before you try insulting someone.

+1

+2
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I just like the taste of turkey bacon better! LOL I'm not so fond of pig bacon so even if turkey bacon is worse, I don't care...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Ok, how about this...

hog bacon: delicious (for the people who like the taste)!
    turkey bacon: delicious (for the people who like the taste)!

both can be found in reasonably clean versions, and both have nutritional merits.

can we all shake hands and move on now? :flowerforyou:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that turkey bacon is worse for you than pig bacon.

Here's the thing. I live in a small town, with two small-ish grocery stores. Because of their size, they don't have much variety when it comes to labels, so MAYBE it's just the brand of turkey bacon available in this area that I find unhealthy. But according to the label, turkey bacon is the same amount of calories as regular bacon when you compare weight and serving size. In fact, in some brands it's actually 5-10 calories more. But it's not just about the calories. There are so many additional additives on the ingredient label for turkey bacon that it makes me highly suspicious. Furthermore, since I can never seem to keep my sodium level under my goal, I've been trying extra hard to find low sodium products. Much to my surprise, most regular bacon actually has a lower sodium count than turkey bacon. So, I've decided, unless someone has something brilliant to say about this, I'm going back to regular bacon.

Just quit eating bacon period.

Problem solved.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    And yet again. . Check out this link. . It speaks for itself. . . ..

http://women.webmd.com/guide/heart-healthy-diet

I was only trying to help. . .
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Center-cut bacon not only tastes 1000 times better than turkey bacon it is also lower in fat.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw in my 2 cents to this discussion.

When your body is more acidic, (Ph Level ), your body produces more cholesterol to line the insides of your veins and arteries to prevent the acid from burning through the wall of your veins/arteries.

Hmmmmmmmm I wonder which gets your body more acidic, meat, or vegetables.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    And another thing. I REALLY want bacon now.
  • courtskey83
    Options
    I haven't read any of these replies, so this may have already been mentioned, but the real bacon bits (not the hard gross ones, but the ones that look like real bacon) are much better for you than the real bacon or the turkey bacon. I don't know how they do it, but it is true, lol.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon for some, miniature American flags for others!

I like hog bacon. I eat it at least once a week. I'm losing weight. I don't care what other people are doing with their bodies, and I don't know enough about the science of cholesterol to weight in.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok, how about this...

hog bacon: delicious (for the people who like the taste)!
    turkey bacon: delicious (for the people who like the taste)!

both can be found in reasonably clean versions, and both have nutritional merits.

can we all shake hands and move on now? :flowerforyou:

Who are you? Jimmy Carter?
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves bacon so we comprimised...he buys Oscar Meyer Fully cooked bacon and usually once a week I make a BLT with it...4 slices are 70 calories but I used 100 calorie sandwich thins lettuce and tomato and I still have a yummy 200 calorie sandwich:)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texan. One of my classmates older brother's went to MIT. Where apparently (as the story goes) he regularly cooked for his roommates/lab partners using lab equipment.... So one of his friends finally asks, "Man, can you cook anything without tooth-picking it to a jalapeno filled with cheese and wrapping it in bacon?" To which he thinks, makes that face that cowboys make when they think... and says "Oatmeal."

Pointless story except for being funny (I think), but yeah, turkey bacon, I don't get it.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I only EVER eat real bacon (real cheese, etc) I only have 2 or 3 slices at a time (instead of a half lb) but I REFUSE to give up bacon. A life w/o bacon isn't much of a life imo
    Just choose the LEANEST bacon you can find and don't over do -
    you're right - Fresh unprocessed bacon is better for you (and tastes better) than turkey bacon any day
    A little fat is part of a healthy diet

oh damn, now I want a BLT (sigh)
    Love it! I choose center cut bacon most of the time, and I rarely eat turkey bacon. The only good turkey bacon is that which is cooked in canola oil! LOL Don't eat it everyday, and you'll be okay.