Quitting Logging Milestone

Options
Today is the day. I will continue to weigh myself daily and track my weight. I will continue to use these forums and your wisdom for support. But I’m not going to log my food or track my calories while I’m in my maintenance range.

This is an awesome tool, but the logging part is keeping me in a “diet” mentality that I very much want to be free from. It feels like I’m flying blind — Wish me luck friends.

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Best of wishes sent your way.....

And, I agree. I do not use MFP for logging of anything. I use another method that works just swell for me. Everyone is different.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Jaimeclmt wrote: »
    Great job! It took me a year and a half after I hit my goal to stop logging (just stopped a couple months ago), but I still track dinner just to keep things in check. I kinda figure my running will keep my calories balanced, and so far it's working. :)

Good to hear Jamie. It’s been about a year and a half in maintenance for me too. Thanks for the feedback.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I may try it again, but not for a while. Weighing yourself daily makes it sound less risky. I hope it goes well for you!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have experimented with trying to guess weight before putting it on the scale or trying to get out the right portion before weighing it and I can be off quite a bit. I am pretty good at cooked chicken often guessing within a couple of tenths of an ounce. I can pour a serving of cereal and be off 30%. I am almost embarrassed to say how far off I was on fresh pineapple; it was nearly double what I thought. Watermelon about 50% higher than I guessed. Those would be nearly harmless for most people but I eat a lot of fruit and melon and pineapple are a couple of my favorites. I get pretty close with apples and bananas. I usually serve myself too little rice or potatoes. I could easily be a couple of hundred off on a meal. I was off a hundred calories on a single piece of very rich chocolate cake a few days ago (Publix chocolate lover's delight; worth making room in the calorie budget on some rare special occasions).

EDIT - I logged the right amount on all these. I just tried guessing without weighing first.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am kinda halfway done logging lol. I do a lazy form of logging m-f (I don’t weigh and measure, just estimate) and then don’t log at all on the weekends. One of these days I hope to not log at all but it is a nice tool
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you got this! Glad you’re staying around here :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight not logging... i hate it.. it's great to do for a while for self education on calories. but.. does make food a hassle and it should be a joy. i've seen you posting good advice for a long time now.. i hope not logging works for you and you can be more free.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sending well wishes your way! I hope the not logging works out well.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Congrarulations! I reached my goal weight (gaining) right before I went on vacation in March, so I just stopped logging since. I am still gaining a bit, but I am fine with that since I know exactly where I can make tweaks overtime. It's so liberating, and I hope it works for you!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I tried mindful eating in March and ended losing weight so I went back to logging. I want to try mindful eating again here soon. Good luck!