Anti-Breakfast brigade?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mac_ex_machina
    Mac_ex_machina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm with ya on the "not eating breakfast" thing...I'm in a cutting phase right now (training my body to deal with getting only 2100 cal./day) and the only thing I have for an AM meal is coffee w/ creamer. OK, a LOT of coffee w/ creamer! I'm no longer in a heavy manual labor type job so I don't burn off those extra calories anymore.

Mac
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Leijing wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was started by Kelloggs to get people to buy cereal. Some people don't like eating early, some get ill eating early, and some have found that by eating early they will end up eating all day (I'm actually the opposite of this where if I DON'T eat breakfast I'll snack all afternoon). Those people who don't eat early will just eat more calories in the meals they do consume.

When I was a kid, this was always stated as a fact, not an advertising slogan. :D

Ha! So true.....but most people don't question things....they blindly follow (general comment). Common sense and critical thinking are a lost art nowadays (again, very general comment).

As others have stated, meal timing does not necessarily matter. But what does matter is caloric intake vs. energy expended. And, the goal you are trying to reach. And personal preference plays a roll here. Since everyone is different there is no right or wrong general answer. But, there is a right and then a better answer for *you*!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Focus on foods that are tasty, high protein (increase the protein over the course of a year), low in starch but high carb. Focus on eating as much as you can in the shortest time frame. As frequent as possible. Hydrate between meals not during. Drink protein shakes for those hydration times between meals. Try week protien packets to make sure they're okay with the IBS.

What?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Focus on foods that are tasty, high protein (increase the protein over the course of a year), low in starch but high carb.
    Not a bad suggestion for satiety, that's good for many people.
    Focus on eating as much as you can in the shortest time frame.
    Why?
    As frequent as possible.
    What?
    Hydrate between meals not during.
    Why?
    Drink protein shakes for those hydration times between meals.
    Why?
    Try week protien packets to make sure they're okay with the IBS.
    WHO??
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is for me, or should I say for those around me that I might kill due to lack of nutrition.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast. I have found that I am just as hungry at 11am if I do eat a bowl of cereal as if I don't, so why not save that 300 calories for lunch?

I've read many things that make me believe meal time is irrelevant.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    l4dy0nyx wrote: »
    Leijing wrote: »
    Before anyone freaks out, I'm NOT saying that I think breakfast is bad for you. I've just never been a fan of breakfast. I'm the one that ate a pack of pop-tarts every morning in high school because I wouldn't want to eat before I left in the morning, but I needed something to tide me over until lunch. My stomach thinks it needs a couple hours to wake up in the morning before it's willing to accept food.

Since I started tracking, I've noticed that I usually don't break 300 cal for my breakfasts, and most of that is juice, coffee, and creamer.

Is breakfast really the "most important meal of the day" like everyone keeps saying, or are there more people out there that think breakfast is just sort of "meh"? Also, what do those of you who aren't breakfast fans do to make sure your calorie intake stays on point?

I mean, I think breakfast is only necessary if you were drinking and sniffing coke all night the night before.... other than that... blah... plus I don't eat breakfast because early in the morning I go straight to the gym when I wake up so I can burn the fat off of my body instead of what I ate. And follow that up,with a fulfilling protein shake.... so... in retrospect... I agree with you... lol.

I can't eat at all the day after a heavy night :D
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, I think that part of the answer is that everyone is different, that everyone has different needs, that everyone has different goals, that everyone has a different set of circumstances and that everyone *could* benefit from experimenting.

There have been several things that I thought were silly but tried for a certain amount of time (experimented, in other words) and made a legit decision in each case. Sometimes what I thought was correct and sometimes what I thought wasn't not even close!

Take the single mom with three kids in elementary school. She simply might not have the time in the morning (because most moms, even more so with single moms, go without to make sure that their kids are okay). So, it might be a "life style" thing.

I used to not be able to eat after 6PM. It was not because of some "silly idea" that I had in my head....I just could not do it. Kinda funny. That was 25 years ago. You would think that at 51 I would be that way. Nope!

What works for me may or may not work for you - for any number of reasons. Experiment. Find what works well, better and best for you and then decide. See how easy that was? Yes, being a bit of a smart *kitten*! :-)